Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dusty and 2nd spot in order

Dusty and 2nd spot in order

I generally don't have many problems with Dusty, but why does he insist on putting a weak hitting spot starter like Izterus batting 2nd, its never made sense to me and its been happening for years (our past punch-n-judy .200 hitting utility infielders). Its always been a rally killer in the top of the order. I also don't think Cozart belongs there either

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dusty and 2nd spot in order

Not a Dusty hater either, but this is one of the frustrating things Dusty does. He could bat Paul second or any of the leftfielders at this point and it would make a lot more sense. What is also frustrating is the fact that the cincy media never seems to even question him on this. It's like the media have grown so tired of the mindless attacks that Dusty takes from fans that they refuse to be critical of him for legitimate issues.

I agree, wouldn't it be great if Jeff Picora(sp?) would ask Dusty tonite on reds postgame "Why your weakest hitter in the heart of the order?'

I've been amazed that this hasn't been changed. It's really frustrating when there are two outs and Cozart steps up to the plate... only to finish off the inning. Put someone - anyone - else in the number 2 hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Rantly View Post
    I agree, wouldn't it be great if Jeff Picora(sp?) would ask Dusty tonite on reds postgame "Why your weakest hitter in the heart of the order?'
    That would be nice. Seems like it is going to have to be Marty but he is pretty old school too.

The most frustrating thing is that kids from 8 years old and up know you bat your best hitters at the top of the order, and your worst hitters at the bottom of the order.

Quote Originally Posted by kfm View Post
    Not a Dusty hater either, but this is one of the frustrating things Dusty does. He could bat Paul second or any of the leftfielders at this point and it would make a lot more sense. What is also frustrating is the fact that the cincy media never seems to even question him on this. It's like the media have grown so tired of the mindless attacks that Dusty takes from fans that they refuse to be critical of him for legitimate issues.
    Dusty builds an Army line-up...L,R,L,R,L,R etc... Paul can't bat 2nd b/c that would completely mess that up. No way can he allow L, L, L to start the game. With Choo and Votto locked at 1 & 3, the only right handed options not locked in somewhere else in the order (BP @ 4 until Ludwick gets back), are Cozart, Izturis, and when he was healthy, a weak hitting Heisey.

The integrity of the L,R,L,R mentality must be maintained!

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    The most frustrating thing is that kids from 8 years old and up know you bat your best hitters at the top of the order, and your worst hitters at the bottom of the order.
    Yeah. It's pretty obvious even if you start L L L the number of left handed starters is small and using cozart in the two spot only then wouldn't be as bad as everyday. If a loogy comes in pinch hit.

RedBrick gets it ... that is Dusty's reasoning. Plus once he sets lineup order he is loathe to change it. He believes players are most comfortable when they know every day where they'll hit. That's why he rarely flip flops players in the order. Probably felt most comfortable himself as a player when he knew where he hit every day and brings that to his managing. Dusty is far less strategic than in tune with players feelings and insecurities. That's why he sticks with guys thru thick and thin. It is both a strength and a flaw but overall I think its a plus as a manager. I gripe about the 2 spot as well but I know I am going to live or die in a baseball fandom sense, with Dustys peculiarities.

Regular season I think Dustys methods pay off actually. Short term, like playoffs it might burn them though. I believe he's a great manager in the macro sense but flawed in the sense of a single game or series.

11. Likes:

Don Cameron (05-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    RedBrick gets it ... that is Dusty's reasoning. Plus once he sets lineup order he is loathe to change it. He believes players are most comfortable when they know every day where they'll hit. That's why he rarely flip flops players in the order. Probably felt most comfortable himself as a player when he knew where he hit every day and brings that to his managing. Dusty is far less strategic than in tune with players feelings and insecurities. That's why he sticks with guys thru thick and thin. It is both a strength and a flaw but overall I think its a plus as a manager. I gripe about the 2 spot as well but I know I am going to live or die in a baseball fandom sense, with Dustys peculiarities.

Regular season I think Dustys methods pay off actually. Short term, like playoffs it might burn them though. I believe he's a great manager in the macro sense but flawed in the sense of a single game or series.
    I agree with your take on dusty to a T. He is a great long haul regular season manger. In the tactical game to game must win nature of the playoffs not so much.

I think alot has to do with comfortablity, yep something you can't put a number on. WHOM else hits second if not the guys Dusty has used? And how comfortable would they be there? Remember hitting is more then numbers and some players perform better when they are comfortable in thier certain slot. Right now would you hit Frazier there? He is struggling right now, doubt moving him would help. Hannigan? To slow and still trying to get his swing back. Paul? Maybe, but he doesn't play everyday...

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    Dusty builds an Army line-up...L,R,L,R,L,R etc... Paul can't bat 2nd b/c that would completely mess that up. No way can he allow L, L, L to start the game. With Choo and Votto locked at 1 & 3, the only right handed options not locked in somewhere else in the order (BP @ 4 until Ludwick gets back), are Cozart, Izturis, and when he was healthy, a weak hitting Heisey.

The integrity of the L,R,L,R mentality must be maintained!
    Somebody should mention to Dusty that the '76 Reds went S,L,L,R,R,R,R,L

Quote Originally Posted by Rantly View Post
    Somebody should mention to Dusty that the '76 Reds went S,L,L,R,R,R,R,L
    The effort would be futile!

Hey, even Baker's '76 Dodgers went L,R,R,R,R,R,R,R. He must've loathed Walter Alston for that!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    The effort would be futile!

Hey, even Baker's '76 Dodgers went L,R,R,R,R,R,R,R. He must've loathed Walter Alston for that!
    Ha Ha...never thought of that, they were right hand hitting heavy

When Ludwick comes back all of this will be mute. I don't care who bats second as long as they keep winning.

18. Likes:

markymark69 (05-22-2013)

Turn Off Ads?