Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: NBA Draft 2013

Re: NBA Draft 2013

I don't have any problem thinking that Zeller will be a starter in the NBA. The problem I have is that McLemore I think will end up being a star.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I don't have any problem thinking that Zeller will be a starter in the NBA. The problem I have is that McLemore I think will end up being a star.
    Every report I heard questioned McLemore's work ethic, if he didn't work hard before he was a millionaire what makes you think he will work hard after? Zeller is a safe pick, not a star but a 15 and 10 guy.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

4. Likes:

Revering4Blue (06-30-2013)

Zeller averaging 15 and 10 in the NBA?!

That would be something to see...

The Bobcats showed, yet again, why they're the Bobcats.

Hopefully MKG can get out ASAP. Trading him would be the greatest gift he could ever hope to receive from that hapless organization.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I don't really think McLemore can create his own shot as a pro. IMO he'll be a jump shooter only.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post

Hopefully MKG can get out ASAP. Trading him would be the greatest gift he could ever hope to receive from that hapless organization.
    LOL...maybe MKG should have stuck around another year in college. He wouldn't have ended up with the Bobcats!!!!!!!! Just sayin'

Troy Murphy was a 15 and 10 guy, are you saying Zeller is worse than Troy Murphy?
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Troy Murphy was a 15 and 10 guy, are you saying Zeller is worse than Troy Murphy?
    Interesting comp. I hadn't thought of Murphy, who wasn't the athlete Zeller is.

Look, once again I'm not arguing that Zeller's NBA impact will be larger than Noel's, McLemore's or Len's, I'm simply arguing from the strategical/team structural standpoint. Now, if you're going to argue that the Bobcats should have drafted Noel, placed him at PF and traded away Biyombo -- no way an offensively-challenged front-line of MKG, Noel and Biyombo would work -- I wouldn't necessarily disagree with this plan of action. I can't imagine that Biyombo's trade value is high enough, though.

You also can argue that the Bobcats should have traded down and stockpiled assets. Truthfully, that is what I would have done in a draft like this one.

To put into perspective just how gawd-awful last year's Bobcats team was, only three players had PERs (Player Efficiency Ratings) above the league average of 15:PG Kemba Walker at 18.9, backup PG Ramon Sessions at 17.8 and SG Gerald Henderson at 16.5. MKG was close at 14, but he'll only get better, so should Henderson, once the Charlotte front line can actually put the ball in the basket.

McLemore could just as easily turn out to be another Ray Allen as he could become another Brandon Rush.

Noel could just as easily become another Ben Wallace with a better offensive game as he could become another Lorenzo Williams. I'm betting that Noel eventually becomes the former in Philly -- a much better situation for him.

Zeller could just as likely become the next Josh McRoberts as the next LaMarcus Aldridge, whom a good deal of scouts liken Zeller to. And even if Zeller becomes his likely comp: Spencer Hawes. Hawes still has a higher career PER than Martin Gortat, whom many compare Len with.

In any case, I doubt that MJ had anything to do with this pick, as he would have likely given up two first rounders for the rights to the UNC student manager.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 06-30-2013 at 09:25 PM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

A couple of NBA trades went down today.

The first one is noteworthy because Bargnani, if he plays to his potential -- a big if, I know -- allows Carmelo Anthony more room to operate.

The Second one is noteworthy because Houston is clearing cap room for a run at Dwight Howard. It also marks the second time in less than two seasons that Thomas "Nomad" Robinson has been dealt.

The Raptors have agreed to send Andrea Bargnani to the Knicks for Marcus Camby, Steve Novak and 2016 first-round pick.
    The Rockets have traded Thomas Robinson to the Blazers in exchange for two future second-round picks and the draft rights to Kostas Papanikolau and Marko Todorovic, according to Yahoo! Sports.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 06-30-2013 at 09:31 PM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Am I crazy or does Zeller remind anyone else a little of an Amar'e Stoudemire type of player? I'm not sure he will be the explosive finisher that Amar'e was, but he does a lot of the same things.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Am I crazy or does Zeller remind anyone else a little of an Amar'e Stoudemire type of player? I'm not sure he will be the explosive finisher that Amar'e was, but he does a lot of the same things.
    You are crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    It's also doubtful the Zeller will become the shot blocking threat that Stoudamire in his prime was.

Other than potentially using jump shots to set up drives to the hoop -- potentially without the explosive first step Stoudemire utilized in-his-prime/pre knee injury -- I really don't see Stoudemire as a comp. Stoudemire was never much of a one-on-one defender, and that's where Zeller may have problems, as well.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 07-01-2013 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Yeah it looks terrible right now doesn't it? Not one NBA season in the books yet, let alone one game for any of the three. But yet the selection is debatable. Greatness is not made by who you drafted, but rather how those picks turn out in the near future and then some. Hind sight is always 20/20. Foresight is something that most of us lack.
    It also doesn't help that Michael Jordan has a history of making horrible draft day choices, namely Kwame Brown and Adam Morrison. The Bobcats though are basically the Cincinnati Bengals of the NBA though, and that was before Jordan took over.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Of all of the teams in the lottery, Charlotte was/is, IMO, by far the absolute worst fit for Noel. The Bobcats/Hornets didn't need another offensively-challenged big man. Noel is much, much better off in Philly, where he will be able to spend much off his time at PF while his body matures.

McLemore? Maybe. While a Henderson/McLemore tag-team at SG would have been a positive move for a franchise that will - barring a miracle -- be back in
    a perceived loaded lottery next year, it wouldn't have helped to solve the main on-court issue for the franchise.

Let's face it, to even reach the point where the franchise feels comfortable opening games to the public, the franchise needed to address the biggest team woe: lack of front court scoring.

I still maintain that Bennett would have been the best fit for Charlotte, but he was obviously off the board. So, if I'm GM Rich Cho, it's down to Len or Zeller, and for the many compelling reason to draft Len, Zeller may prove to be the best fit. Here's why:

Even if the team winds up with Wiggins or a player of his caliber following next year's draft, MKG is still a major cog in the wheel for this franchise, and it is a MUST that he reaches his apex offensively, as often times last season opposing teams didn't really guard the Bobcats PF, preferring to place a PF on MKG, limiting low post moves/drives to the hoop in which MKG was moderately successful.

With Zeller in the fold serving as a stretch 4, more driving lanes should be available for MKG and company. In short, Zeller's presence should really elevate MKG's game, especially as MKG's outside shot improves, as I believe that it will. Not to mention, Zeller should also present an actual pick-and-roll/pick-and-pop option for Kemba Walker, giving the offense another wrinkle.
    Of course, much depends on whether or not Zeller can actually perform all of the above in a game situation. But, from a strategical/team structural standpoint, arguing against the selection of Zeller seems shortsighted, IMO.
    I like your analysis, but I think Noel would have been a better pick in terms of upside. The Bobcats are likely going to be horrible again next year, as this draft was weak regardless. Why not take the player with the highest upside (Noel), let him sit and rehab, and then the following year take a future star to pair with Noel and MKG.

Not to mention I think Zeller could have been had a lot lower. I kinda wonder if the Bobcats would have gotten a similar deal for Noel that the Pelicans did if they would have taken him at 4. Zeller may have still been there at 11, and the Bobcats likely would have picked up another lottery pick in a loaded draft next season. I don't think anybody would have faulted them for taking Noel, trading him for two first round picks, and taking Zeller at the end of the lottery.

Then again, Thursday was the night the NBA Draft got drunk, so who knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

CBS called the Bobcats a "loser" of the draft for their 4th pick...

"Charlotte Bobcats:
    Well, at least they're used to being here. Not only did they reach for a
    player, but they reached for a guy who could wind up being a block
    magnet. And he may not be considerably better, at least immediately --
    than Byron Mullens.
    Think about that. In a draft with so many good scoring weapons, they
    took a big with huge concerns about his ability to finish at the rim
    despite his size. Just not a great look with them taking Cody Zeller."
    I was shocked to learn how short Zeller's arms are. He has like a 6'7" wingspan. That's TINY for someone his height.

CBS called the Bobcats a "loser" of the draft for their 4th pick...

I was shocked to learn how short Zeller's arms are. He has like a 6'7" wingspan. That's TINY for someone his height.
    It's actually a 6'10" wingspan. Still a major concern, though. I suppose the Bobcats are gambling that Zeller's high vertical leap will make up for the low wingspan. The perimeter game is going to make-or-break Zeller. For the most part, we never really got to see Zeller's perimeter shot at I.U. Why? It's anyone's guess, but that's a question better tackled in the I.U B-Ball thread.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    It also doesn't help that Michael Jordan has a history of making horrible draft day choices, namely Kwame Brown and Adam Morrison. The Bobcats though are basically the Cincinnati Bengals of the NBA though, and that was before Jordan took over.

I like your analysis, but I think Noel would have been a better pick in terms of upside. The Bobcats are likely going to be horrible again next year, as this draft was weak regardless. Why not take the player with the highest upside (Noel), let him sit and rehab, and then the following year take a future star to pair with Noel and MKG.

Not to mention I think Zeller could have been had a lot lower. I kinda wonder if the Bobcats would have gotten a similar deal for Noel that the Pelicans did if they would have taken him at 4. Zeller may have still been there at 11, and the Bobcats likely would have picked up another lottery pick in a loaded draft next season. I don't think anybody would have faulted them for taking Noel, trading him for two first round picks, and taking Zeller at the end of the lottery.

Then again, Thursday was the night the NBA Draft got drunk, so who knows.
    Just since 06", several Bobcat first round draftees are already out of the NBA. I was living in N.C at the time of the '06 draft, and was clamoring, like most fans down there, for either Rudy Gay or Brandon Roy. I knew then that the franchise was headed into a pit where radioactive waste is stored.

I like your analysis, as well. I stated in a later post that trading down was the best move for the franchise. Supposedly, the T-Wolves offered the Bobcats the 9th pick and Derrick Williams for the 4th. If that's true, the Bobcats should have accepted it.

As for Noel, I have to chuckle at the talking heads who believe that Noel will be a total bust if he doesn't develop an offensive game. Well, Ben Wallace was a four time All-Star and four time Defensive Player Of The Year. The aforementioned pundits act as if a Ben Wallace, Serge Ibaka or Larry Sanders are easy to acquire. IMO, they often are as valuable to a team as, say, a good PG.

As for the Bobcats, given the fact that Charlotte is mostly a Tarheel (fanbased) city. Throw in IU's Zeller with UK's MKG and Duke's Gerald Henderson, and it may well result in UNC, Duke, UK and IU fans rooting for the same B-Ball team. Other than team USA, I never thought that scenario was even remotely possible.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 07-01-2013 at 10:32 PM.

Turn Off Ads?