Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
To the bullpen question. The aggregate bullpen is a huge factor. You have to have a good group of guys. The closer is overvalued because of the way they are handled. If the bedt was used in highly leveraged spots instead of only with a lead of 3 or less and only in the 9th...then they would have more value. Most good relievers can match the league's save percentage average. Except in years like Gagne once had almost all closers save games at near the average. Chapman is not better than that percentage wise. The odds of a team scoring in any single inning is not high. Any good reliever should be able to get the last 3 outs. Bullpens themselves are important but individual relievers are not. Its a weird dichotomy.

I agree Baker is weakest as a manager in single games or series. But if players perform as expected that can limit the strategic role of the manager.

I disagree defense is not good enough to be a good playoff team. As good or better defenders are available for defensive switches at most positions and even Choo and Frazier are not defensive liabilities. Frazier needs to pick up his hitting but he is an average 3b compared to the league. I'd call 3b neither a strength particularly nor a liability. Choo is playing better in CF as the season goes on.

Winning the playoffs and series is NOT who is best but who gets hot at the right time. Let Walt work. Right now any trade for a solid RH bat is going to cost a lot more than deadline deal because almost every team still has a shot. The really bad teams have so many needs any good player they trade at this point will cost a King's ransom. Near the deadline they'll be more reasonable.
Good reasoning on all counts. I see chapman being value able because he helps to setup the BP as a group and sets up a nasty boys type situation with Marshall and broxton.