Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's give Mike Leake some credit.

Re: Let's give Mike Leake some credit.

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Another solid outing by Leake tonight which has lowered his ERA down to under 3.00. Not bad for our "5th" starter.

-Matt
    he's alot better than arroyo and probably bailey too right now. He'd be the #2 or 3 pitcher in a playoff series right now if up to me

2. Turn Off Ads?
    No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar
    Still think his success is unsustainable, but love to be proven wrong.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Still think his success is unsustainable, but love to be proven wrong.
    At a 2.75 ERA, I don't think there's a single person on this board that believes that mark will last.

It's just a question of what level is descriptive of his performance. All of the ERA estimators put him in the 3.75-3.85 range but obviously since he's already pitched one third of the season, it would be lower if his ERA for the last four months only equals the estimators' level right now.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

While I've always understood some of the skepticism of Leake, I've always been a fan.

This kid came straight from the college ranks to the majors, so his development came up here. He's not an overpowering pitcher, but a smart pitcher who studies batters (film), keeps hitters off balance by mixing up his pitches, attacks the strikezone and hits his spots.

When Arroyo doesn't have his best breaking stuff he's very vulnerable. Likewise - Leake HAS to hit his spots, and keep the ball down, or else he's in trouble.

But he's learning. It was a joy watching him pitch last night.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Kcbuckeye22 View Post
    Leake will be the next Arroyo for the next few years.
    I'd sign up for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    At a 2.75 ERA, I don't think there's a single person on this board that believes that mark will last.

It's just a question of what level is descriptive of his performance. All of the ERA estimators put him in the 3.75-3.85 range but obviously since he's already pitched one third of the season, it would be lower if his ERA for the last four months only equals the estimators' level right now.
    Agreed, this seems to be more like his 2011 season with a bit more luck thus far. The big difference is that his HR/9 is down almost .5 over what we have seen during his career. Everything else is the same, that WHIP being 1.31 will come back to bite him imo.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Stat oddity of the day...Wood and Leake both have a 2.75 ERA right now.

Best #5 starter in MLB.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Leake and Arroyo are cut from the same cloth. They can do a lot with the baseball. They adapt. They experiment, over time, with new pitches and new approaches. They outsmart the competition. They field the position well. Leake hits.

I know a lot of posters here don't know what they have in Leake. I'm glad Baker does.

And how about giving Mesoraco some props, too, as Leake's personal catcher?
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post

And how about giving Mesoraco some props, too, as Leake's personal catcher?
    Well a lot of people bash him when the pitcher doesn't do well, so of course he did great!

Kidding aside, there was some indecision yesterday between Leake and Mez yesterday, but it looked like they got it hashed out real quick.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kcbuckeye22 View Post
    Leake will be the next Arroyo for the next few years.
    I've been saying this for 2 years now. Let Bronson walk, move Chapman into the rotation.

Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Leake, Chapman. That's filthy.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

13. Likes:

max venable (06-03-2013), remdog (06-12-2013)

I think it's time that we start a "Let's give Mesoraco some credit" thread! His catcher's ERA lately has been outstanding! He is clearly the reason Leake and Latos have been so good... And there is no doubt that Hanigan is the reason Arroyo and Homer struggled in Cleveland.

Leake has done a great job but Mesoraco is the reason for his success!
    I know a lot of people are talking about his on-base percentage (.308 in 2008), but I like to think more in terms of him his in-scoring position percentage. - Our Beloved Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post

Nope. There is at least one. I can see Leake staying pretty darn close to this ERA mark. A sub-3.00 wouldn't surprise me that much.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I've been saying this for 2 years now. Let Bronson walk, move Chapman into the rotation.

Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Leake, Chapman. That's filthy.
    Substitute Cingrani for Chapman, and that's an insane rotation.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Substitute Cingrani for Chapman, and that's an insane rotation.
    Maybe. Too early to say what Cingrani will become. I guess the same could be said for Chapman in the different role, but we've seen what Chapman can do for longer I guess.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Turn Off Ads?