Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's give Mike Leake some credit.

Re: Let's give Mike Leake some credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Did a few folks mistake an 8 for a 3 in those five innings?
    1 inning

2. Turn Off Ads?

The excuse for the 2 out hits in the 4th will be Craig's long at bat. Dusty left out the fact Molina struck out badly the batter after during the post game interview. His problem was relaxing after the Molina at bat and leaving a pitch up to Freese early in the count. Then he left two more over the plate.

2 out hitting and pitching have been a sore spot for the Reds recently

"So Fla Red"

What will it take to keep Ondrusek in Louisville. Dusty will keep using him if given hte chance. Egad.

Leake, 3ER over 5 IP and all with two outs in the 4th. Not a great outing not awful, but the Cardinals offense is ridiculous right now. Time for Latos to step up big tomorrow night.

It's amazing how little things change the game. I was at the game and didn't have a great angle, but couldn't Phillips have had Beltran's hit in the 4th that started that rally? If he makes that play, the whole inning changes.

Once that inning is changed, the whole game is changed.

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    It's amazing how little things change the game. I was at the game and didn't have a great angle, but couldn't Phillips have had Beltran's hit in the 4th that started that rally? If he makes that play, the whole inning changes.

Once that inning is changed, the whole game is changed.
    Yup, it seemed to open the floodgates. Still, Leake wasn't fooling them that inning. Overall not a great performance, I'll take 5 innings/3 runs against one of the hottest offenses in baseball.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

There's no way I can hold Leake's performance against him tonight, seeing how it came against St. Louis. Any one of our starters could have had stats like that, or worse. The Cardinals offense has been unreal as of late.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Yup, it seemed to open the floodgates. Still, Leake wasn't fooling them that inning. Overall not a great performance, I'll take 5 innings/3 runs against one of the hottest offenses in baseball.
    Ya. Big game and he was hit very hard. He was lucky to only give up three runs because he easily could've given up more given the lasers hit off of him.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

9. Likes:

RedEye (06-08-2013)

Since I've been one of his biggest critics, I'll point out that was a well pitched game today.

I'll also point out that the Cubs are exactly the kind of team Leake beats.

But yes, he's been pitching well of late.
    Suck it up cupcake.

11. Likes:

DocRed (06-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Since I've been one of his biggest critics, I'll point out that was a well pitched game today.

I'll also point out that the Cubs are exactly the kind of team Leake beats.

But yes, he's been pitching well of late.
    Same here...he looked fabulous today. I'm still not convinced he is a sub 3.00 ERA guy but if he can keep his ERA somewhere in the mid to upper 3's then I will be thrilled.

In his last 11 starts....he looks like this

65 2/3 IP
    2.05 ERA
    53k/11bb (4.81 k/bb ratio)

4 runs - 1
    3 runs - 2
    2 runs - 2
    1 run - 2
    O runs - 4

That, ladies and gentlemen....is the best #5 starter in the majors.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

14. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (06-13-2013), Red Raindog (06-12-2013)

Second best ERA in the rotation. Tied for first in wins.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Since the OP posted stats AFTER Leake's first 2 starts. Let's re-cap.

Yes, his first 2 starts were duds. Afterwards, he's been...well, let's just say he's been pretty good. :O) The posters who wanted to send him to AAA or to trade him are just thanking their lucky stars that the Reds brass are smarter than that.

69.2 ip
    11 starts
    7 quality starts
    67 hits
    16 earned runs
    12 bb's
    53 K's
    6 W's
    2.08 era ... yeah, you read that right. 2.08.

Since those first 2 starts, it's hard to argue that Leake hasn't been our best starter.

Simply put, all 4 of the starters have been freaking fantastic. All 4 below 3.50 era's, none have more than 22 bb's, all have WHIP's under 1.25. If you factor in the Cueto/Cingrani combo as the last of the 5 starters...is there any doubt that this is the best Reds rotation in the past 30 years? 50 years?

~edit~ it looks like mine and VR's numbers are a bit off...I'll assume mine are wrong...but regardless, the point remains. Leake's been ridiculously good. #5 my butt!
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 06-12-2013 at 05:40 PM.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

17. Likes:

Red Raindog (06-12-2013)

His losses: Nats (twice), Cards, Pit and Atl

His wins: Cubs (twice), Mets, Marlins and a struggling PHI team early in the year. Plus 3 no decisions the team won: Pittsburgh and the Cubs again.

Pretty sure that shows he beats the teams he is supposed to, weaker teams, but struggles with upper echelon teams. No harm in that, and he's been outstanding in his role as #5 starter. Having a 5th starter that can win 12-17 games is huge.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

If you go by WAR (and I know how much RZ loves WAR), even including his 2 first starts...Leake has the 21st highest WAR for NL pitchers.

17 Latos
    18 Bronson
    21 Leake
    23 Cueto
    29 Homer

75 starters in the NL.
    1-15 are #1's
    16-30 are #2's
    31-45 are #3's
    46-60 are #4's
    61-75 are #5's

By WAR, we've got 5 number 2 starters. :O)

Still think of Mike Leake as a #5 starter?
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Since the OP posted stats AFTER Leake's first 2 starts. Let's re-cap.

Yes, his first 2 starts were duds. Afterwards, he's been...well, let's just say he's been pretty good. :O) The posters who wanted to send him to AAA or to trade him are just thanking their lucky stars that the Reds brass are smarter than that.

69.2 ip
    11 starts
    7 quality starts
    67 hits
    16 earned runs
    12 bb's
    53 K's
    6 W's
    2.08 era ... yeah, you read that right. 2.08.

Since those first 2 starts, it's hard to argue that Leake hasn't been our best starter.

Simply put, all 4 of the starters have been freaking fantastic. All 4 below 3.50 era's, none have more than 22 bb's, all have WHIP's under 1.25. If you factor in the Cueto/Cingrani combo as the last of the 5 starters...is there any doubt that this is the best Reds rotation in the past 30 years? 50 years?
    I'll argue it. Latos has been better. Cueto though limited by injury has been better. Cingrani has been better and Homer Bailey has been light years better.

Though Leake lowered his WHIP today to 1.27, he has put a lot of guys on base. It hasn't bit him in the butt yet, and he's been lowering that WHIP. He's also starting to K guys a bit more. If he gets that K/9 north of 7 and starts beating teams that can actually hit (the Cubs have managed 5 runs total this series, the Reds 20) then maybe. But Leake is no Bailey, Latos, or Cueto. And Cingrani has been more than a pleasant surprise.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Turn Off Ads?