Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Mike Cameron-Ken Griffey WAR comparison 2000-08

Mike Cameron-Ken Griffey WAR comparison 2000-08

I remember when the Reds traded for Griffey Jr., and it was literally one of the best days of my life up to that point. As a soon to be 15 year old falling in love with the game, and with the team's success coming off of the 1999 season, I was riding high with my favorite team trading for the best superstar of my generation. And even better, we didn't give up anything to get him!

Or did we? Griffey had some good years with us, and it wasn't his fault the team stunk, or that he was consistently hurt. But I think many people forget just how good Mike Cameron ended up being as a centerfielder. The history books will remind us, and rightfully so, that Griffey was one of the best of all time, and Cameron will never be remembered as such.

But from 2000-2008, the years that Griffey was a Red, Griffey had a cumulative 9.8 WAR, compared to Cameron's 31.8 (using Fangraphs). Now, this comparision isn't to pick on Griffey, but when I went back and looked at the numbers, I was absolutely stunned to see such a large differential. Who would've ever thought that over the course of Griffey's time in Cincy, Mike Cameron would end up being the better player?

2. Likes:

Cursh14 (05-23-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Re: Mike Cameron-Ken Griffey WAR comparison 2000-08

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I remember when the Reds traded for Griffey Jr., and it was literally one of the best days of my life up to that point. As a soon to be 15 year old falling in love with the game, and with the team's success coming off of the 1999 season, I was riding high with my favorite team trading for the best superstar of my generation. And even better, we didn't give up anything to get him!

Or did we? Griffey had some good years with us, and it wasn't his fault the team stunk, or that he was consistently hurt. But I think many people forget just how good Mike Cameron ended up being as a centerfielder. The history books will remind us, and rightfully so, that Griffey was one of the best of all time, and Cameron will never be remembered as such.

But from 2000-2008, the years that Griffey was a Red, Griffey had a cumulative 9.8 WAR, compared to Cameron's 31.8 (using Fangraphs). Now, this comparision isn't to pick on Griffey, but when I went back and looked at the numbers, I was absolutely stunned to see such a large differential. Who would've ever thought that over the course of Griffey's time in Cincy, Mike Cameron would end up being the better player?
    Mike was a healthier player. I don't know if I'd agree with the way you put it. Griff's body just wouldn't cooperate.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Mike was on steroids, just like everyone else in Seattle.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Mike was a healthier player. I don't know if I'd agree with the way you put it. Griff's body just wouldn't cooperate.
    I wasn't trying to frame it in any certain way. But I do think Cameron was a much better player than anyone really gave him credit for being. It's not surprising his WAR is higher because of the injuries, but it's still startling to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Mike was on steroids, just like everyone else in Seattle.
    Just like everyone else in baseball, not just Seattle.

Ignoring the steroid issue, Cameron is four hers younger than Griffey, and was just entering his prime years. Griffey was leaving his. One of the many reasons why the trade wasn't such a gret idea.

During the same age range, Griffey had close to a 40 WAR.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

9. Likes:

redsfandan (05-24-2013)

Anyone else remember Gallagher? If he was still here this would be the point where he would post: "Whiffey is not your savior."
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Anyone else remember Gallagher? If he was still here this would be the point where he would post: "Whiffey is not your savior."
    Didn't he become Valdemort?
    Let's play two!!!

Turn Off Ads?