Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 45 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: On the declining quality of the ORG

Re: On the declining quality of the ORG

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    It shouldn't even matter. The demonization of people for simply being cynical about PED use is way overboard here. You'd think their mothers are being insulted.

It's accusing people of taking substances to gain an advantage, an advantage that, in some cases, would be legal for an average beer league or church league softball player seeking over the counter aid. It's been absolutely established that's something that is rampant in baseball and has been for two decades. It's not accusing people of murder or rape. If people are so offended by the idea that athletes might be taking enhancers, they should stop watching baseball because frankly... that's the world we live in. Being curious about any player that exhibits the established signs should not be treated with hostile disdain.

On a different note, it seems some want to bend over backwards to suck up to Cardinals fans. I don't have a lot of hatred for other teams or fans, as I understand it's just sports. But if someone wants to be a little biased against rivals for no good reason whatsoever, let 'em do that. This is a Reds' board, not a Cards' board. Reds' fans should have a little extra leeway to be critical.
    Missing the point. Sorry, Brutus, but this is not what has been argued. Not offended by the idea that players are using PEDs. Surprised by the audacity of posters who create threads about it with zero credible evidence and hoping that RZ is a place where I can avoid this kind of ridiculousness -- at least in the ORG.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    The current Sundeck board isn't the same as it was before the merger. Care to guess why?
    So I suppose this could also be titled "On the declining quality of the Sun Deck." In any case, as far as I can tell, the main results of the merger so far have been more traffic and more bickering in the ORG. Maybe that is good...
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I think part of the declining quality is the fact its not so much discussion anymore as it is arguing.
    No it isn't!

5. Likes:

Joseph (06-25-2013)

High five!

I couldn't have said it better myself. I had more fun posting in Sundeck, because we didn't attack each other's opinions there. We just talked baseball. I still find it hilariously ironic that the poster who started this thread is possibly the absolute worst at what he's accusing others of doing.
    Feel free to post there instead.

7. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-27-2013)

High five!

The current Sundeck board isn't the same as it was before the merger. Care to guess why?
    If you build it, they will come.

Blaze that trail.

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    OK, never thought I'd say this about a Cards fan on this board...

But. I hope Mike DOES reconsider and come back eventually. While he does root for the "wrong" team, and there are times I admit I have wanted to take him out back and slap him around a bit for being a Cards fan, he does contribute to good discussions around here. And he isn't generally overboard on the "rah rah sis boom bah the Cardinals are better than you" BS some spout off when they visit here. He's a good egg.

and think about it guys, if it were turned around and substitute "Votto" or "Phillips" for Molina in that discussion, you'd be getting pretty fed up too.
    If he does decide to come back he'd better do it with a thicker skin and most of all, learn to skip threads that he doesn't enjoy. There are tons of threads going on at this site. Just don't open the ones that'll anger you to the point that he's been angered over this one. Life's too short. Move on and post in a different one.

10. Likes:

757690 (06-24-2013),remdog (06-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The logic at first was sound and the arguments as unemotional as any on this board.

The logic went like this:

757590 has been poor his whole life and works for minimum wage.
    Suddenly he starts driving a brand new Mercedes.
    I wonder how that happened? That seems suspicious. What are some possible explanations?
    yeah but if it was the political forum the logic would have been:

757590 has been poor his whole life and works for minimum wage.
    Suddenly he starts driving a brand new Mercedes.
    Why did he not buy American. The new Tesla Sedan is great and great for the environment too. 757690 must be a commie.

12. Likes:

757690 (06-24-2013)

Ny Red.

If you are unhappy with both the ORG and the sun deck I recommend reds.com

Go be happy!

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    If you build it, they will come.

Blaze that trail.
    To be fair to him, he can't. He can't start threads in the Sun Deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Ny Red.

If you are unhappy with both the ORG and the sun deck I recommend reds.com

Go be happy!
    I'm not unhappy with ORG or Sundeck. I just don't get why a few posters feel the need to destroy threads with their endless arguing, just because someone else has a different opinion. If you didn't change someone's opinion with your first attempt, why continue to try over and over again? We're all members of the same family, so surely it can be more civil than it is. I see where someone said it's more civil than it used to be, so it must have really been crazy before.

I'm not unhappy with ORG or Sundeck. I just don't get why a few posters feel the need to destroy threads with their endless arguing, just because someone else has a different opinion. If you didn't change someone's opinion with your first attempt, why continue to try over and over again? We're all members of the same family, so surely it can be more civil than it is. I see where someone said it's more civil than it used to be, so it must have really been crazy before.
    I see it as pretty civil for the most part now. But yeah, if you want to just post opinions and not defend them, the ORG may not be the place for you. It is about "family" but also about spirited debate and trying to convince others to see things differently. I've learned more about baseball from this site than any other place that way. And about Raisor.

17. Likes:

gilpdawg (06-24-2013),New York Red (06-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I see it as pretty civil for the most part now. But yeah, if you want to just post opinions and not defend them, the ORG may not be the place for you. It is about "family" but also about spirited debate and trying to convince others to see things differently. I've learned more about baseball from this site than any other place that way. And about Raisor.
    My only thing is that I don't think you need to be able to back up your opinion if you aren't trying to convince others of it. If your opinion is ridiculous, it will reflect on you.

I recently said I don't think Matt Holiday juices, but that is just my opinion and I'm not trying to convince others of it.

If someone says "I think X might be juicing but that's just my opinion" I have no issue with it, though I wouldn't take it seriously.

There is a lot of gray area on this subject so it's ok if you feel otherwise. But sometimes I think the part of the mission statement about backing up your opinion is thrown around a little flippantly.

19. Likes:

dubc47834 (06-24-2013),jimbo (06-24-2013),New York Red (06-24-2013),remdog (06-26-2013)

I find myself using the ignore function more. I have a list of about 4 posters now, I haven't noticed the slide as much recently. I have one more to add.

The thing I find annoying, is that there are about 6 guys that get into monkey crap throwing arguments, and suddenly you have waded through 8 pages of crap to see the color of a baboon's butt, when you were just looking for a good baseball discussion.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

21. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (07-02-2013),jimbo (06-24-2013),New York Red (06-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    My only thing is that I don't think you need to be able to back up your opinion if you aren't trying to convince others of it. If your opinion is ridiculous, it will reflect on you.

I recently said I don't think Matt Holiday juices, but that is just my opinion and I'm not trying to convince others of it.

If someone says "I think X might be juicing but that's just my opinion" I have no issue with it, though I wouldn't take it seriously.

There is a lot of gray area on this subject so it's ok if you feel otherwise. But sometimes I think the part of the mission statement about backing up your opinion is thrown around a little flippantly.
    Right, sure. I agree with this. But you can't expect others just to ignore it because it is "your opinion" either. If you are posting it on a message board, it means you must want to share it with others. Therefore, you are by definition opening it up to all kinds of possible responses -- some critical, others not. I guess I just feel like it's a little weird when someone writes something in a community forum, gets responses, and then gets up in arms and says "Hey, guys, stop being so analytical!" For some of us, that's just who we are. It's nothing personal if we take your thoughts seriously -- it is our way of complimenting you!

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I find myself using the ignore function more. I have a list of about 4 posters now, I haven't noticed the slide as much recently. I have one more to add.

The thing I find annoying, is that there are about 6 guys that get into monkey crap throwing arguments, and suddenly you have waded through 8 pages of crap to see the color of a baboon's butt, when you were just looking for a good baseball discussion.
    How do you define "monkey crap throwing" (and am I doing it right now)? I guess if you are ignoring me, I won't get an answer.

Turn Off Ads?