Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 475

Thread: On the declining quality of the ORG

  1. #151
    They call me "chef"
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    904

    Re: On the declining quality of the ORG

    I've found that ignoring users significantly upgrades the quality of discussion. For example, all three posts in this thread are sensible, astounding, and worthy of acclaim.
    Cincinnati Reds 2014 W-L Record: 76.6-85.4*

    Cincinnati Reds 2015 W-L Record: TBA

    *UPDATED: 2/11/2014

  2. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (06-27-2013), cumberlandreds (06-25-2013), dabvu2498 (06-24-2013), dubc47834 (06-24-2013), Red in Chicago (06-24-2013), RedEye (06-26-2013), reds44 (06-24-2013), Tom Servo (06-24-2013), WMR (06-26-2013), Wonderful Monds (06-26-2013)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #152
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,885

    Re: On the declining quality of the ORG

    Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Right, sure. I agree with this. But you can't expect others just to ignore it because it is "your opinion" either. If you are posting it on a message board, it means you must want to share it with others. Therefore, you are by definition opening it up to all kinds of possible responses -- some critical, others not. I guess I just feel like it's a little weird when someone writes something in a community forum, gets responses, and then gets up in arms and says "Hey, guys, stop being so analytical!" For some of us, that's just who we are. It's nothing personal if we take your thoughts seriously -- it is our way of complimenting you!
    Totally valid. Speaking for myself, sometimes I just throw something out there that is in my mind...just to show where I am coming from. Whenever the original thought is my own, I usually try to add a touch of humbleness to it, because believe me, I don't know it all. However, sometimes a stream of consciousness remark is met with knives and razorblades and on occasion it devolves into a mess. (I'm sure I'm not the only one this happens to) There is a way to make a point and/or counterpoint without projecting a know-it-all attitude or slinging a personal (though sometimes people love to launch a zinger and act as if it is not personal) jab.

    Blah,blah,blah, long story short - Sometimes it is just best if one person says their piece, the other says theirs, and the issue is dropped. Learn to let it go. Going out of one's way to give a compliment every now and then doesn't hurt either.

  5. Likes:

    RedEye (06-24-2013), remdog (06-26-2013)

  6. #153
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,147

    Re: On the declining quality of the ORG

    If someone posts that player x is the MVP because of y and I think y isn't a reason why someone should be MVP I'm going to a: tell that person I disagree and b: try to explain why I disagree. Sometimes this might take multiple posts of back and forth to accomplish.

    If I can prove why z is more important than y it ain't an opinion, its a fact.

    Seacrest out.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  7. Likes:

    jojo (06-24-2013), RedEye (06-24-2013)

  8. #154
    I hate the Cubs LoganBuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,129

    Re: On the declining quality of the ORG

    Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    How do you define "monkey crap throwing" (and am I doing it right now)? I guess if you are ignoring me, I won't get an answer.
    You would be a target if I didn't agree with your opinion. Consider yourself blessed.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

  9. Likes:

    RedEye (06-24-2013)

  10. #155
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    4,060

    Re: On the declining quality of the ORG

    So I read through the first 7 pages or so. I will say I agree with almost everyone (oddly enough, even those disagreeing with each other).

    This message board was my haven for intelligent baseball discussion. Not patting myself on the back, but I know more about baseball than 99% of the people I converse with on a daily basis. I came here, and felt like I was on equal ground, and even found many that know more than me.

    I was uber proud of the fact that this board has extremely intelligent baseball discussion. The quality has plummeted since the merger. It's disappointing, frustrating, and leaves a hole in my daily/weekly baseball discussions. I'll be honest, I start my least educated thread this week, not sure why, but I disappointed myself now.

    I used to tell people about this message board that they should come here for great Reds/baseball conversation. I don't feel that way anymore. But I'm going to stick it out and hope that it turns around soon.

  11. Likes:

    New York Red (06-24-2013)

  12. #156
    High five! nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    6,976

    Re: On the declining quality of the ORG

    Quote Originally Posted by LexRedsFan View Post
    To be fair to him, he can't. He can't start threads in the Sun Deck.
    Then start it on ORG.

    The point is this: if more of discussion "X" is desired, start a new thread already (or "SANTA" for short.)

    If people want to talk about it, they will.

    If one doesn't like the flavor of discussion, then either this isn't the forum for them or they have to change the discussion here.

    I guess the latter is a bit of an uphill battle.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

  13. Likes:

    Raisor (06-25-2013)

  14. #157
    It's showtime! RedEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    7,943

    Re: On the declining quality of the ORG

    Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    You would be a target if I didn't agree with your opinion. Consider yourself blessed.
    Thanks! Wait... thanks?

  15. Likes:

    LoganBuck (06-25-2013)

  16. #158
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    North Canton, OH
    Posts
    2,983

    Re: On the declining quality of the ORG

    A little perspective:

    Usually before a series against a team the Reds do not play often, like the A's, I will google "Oakland A's fan forum" and check out what the fanbase has to say about the current state of affairs for their team and try to learn about lesser known players on the squad. I tried for a good 20 minutes and could not find much other than the forums on ESPN.com and MLB.com. I did find the following forum, but as you can see they do not have many posters:

    http://www.athleticsclubhouse.com/phpBB3/


    This forum has 1 game thread FOR THE ENTIRE SEASON, and that thread is currently at 48 pages. We have had game threads on redszone that have topped that in one evening. There are threads on their opening page that have not been posted in since early May. On redszone our front page basically goes back a day or two.

    I think us redszoners should realize how lucky we are to have such a strong, large, and active community. You may not like everything you read on here and may be downright offended by the posts of some, but with a larger community you have to expect the negative aspects that come with it. I for one love how redszone currently is and do not think it is declining, just changing as a result of a larger sample size of human beings.

    /rant off


  17. Likes:

    foxfire123 (06-25-2013), HeatherC1212 (07-02-2013), moewan (06-25-2013)

  18. #159
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,115

    Re: On the declining quality of the ORG

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    A little perspective:

    Usually before a series against a team the Reds do not play often, like the A's, I will google "Oakland A's fan forum" and check out what the fanbase has to say about the current state of affairs for their team and try to learn about lesser known players on the squad. I tried for a good 20 minutes and could not find much other than the forums on ESPN.com and MLB.com. I did find the following forum, but as you can see they do not have many posters:

    http://www.athleticsclubhouse.com/phpBB3/


    This forum has 1 game thread FOR THE ENTIRE SEASON, and that thread is currently at 48 pages. We have had game threads on redszone that have topped that in one evening. There are threads on their opening page that have not been posted in since early May. On redszone our front page basically goes back a day or two.

    I think us redszoners should realize how lucky we are to have such a strong, large, and active community. You may not like everything you read on here and may be downright offended by the posts of some, but with a larger community you have to expect the negative aspects that come with it. I for one love how redszone currently is and do not think it is declining, just changing as a result of a larger sample size of human beings.

    /rant off

    Athletics Nation isn't exactly a message board, but it is a great community. http://www.athleticsnation.com/

  19. #160
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    North Canton, OH
    Posts
    2,983

    Re: On the declining quality of the ORG

    I saw that website, but I thought SB Nation was a general sports website

  20. #161
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,115

    Re: On the declining quality of the ORG

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I saw that website, but I thought SB Nation was a general sports website
    SB Nation is just a collection of individual team themed sites with a handful of sports specific sites mixed in as well. In total there are over 300 individually themed sites catered to specific teams/schools.

  21. #162
    It's showtime! RedEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    7,943

    Re: On the declining quality of the ORG

    I'm hoping that "discussions" like those on the Yadier Molina and Brandon Phillips threads will be mitigated -- or at least relegated to other forums -- very soon. They should probably go in a "Lifestyle" or "Celebrity Gossip" forum instead of the ORG at this point.
    Last edited by RedEye; 06-26-2013 at 08:02 AM.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

  22. #163
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    13,440

    Re: On the declining quality of the ORG

    Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I'm hoping that "discussions" like those on the Yadier Molina and Brandon Phillips threads will be mitigated -- or at least relegated to other forums -- very soon. They should probably go in a "Lifestyle" or "Celebrity Gossip" forum instead of the ORG at this point.
    Is your opinion predicated on the notion that nothing about MLB matters that doesn't happen on the field of play? Baseball isn't played by robots, it's played by humans. The types of post you don't like are often the best answer to "why" questions.

    "Why is Player X performing well, when he didn't last year?"

    "Why is Player Y performing poorly when he was POM last month?"

    If you don't care about "why" questions, maybe you need to accept that other people do, rather than dismissing those external factors as tabloid trash? There is no sports journalism anymore that doesn't take those factors into account. Those external factors are usually the lead on Sportscenter now. Whether that's a good thing is debatable, but whether it's reality is not.
    /r/reds

  23. Likes:

    jimbo (06-26-2013), New York Red (06-26-2013)

  24. #164
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    North Canton, OH
    Posts
    2,983

    Re: On the declining quality of the ORG

    If this were PatriotsZone would it be ok to talk about Aaron Hernandez's murder charge/trial?

  25. #165
    It's showtime! RedEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    7,943

    Re: On the declining quality of the ORG

    Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Is your opinion predicated on the notion that nothing about MLB matters that doesn't happen on the field of play? Baseball isn't played by robots, it's played by humans. The types of post you don't like are often the best answer to "why" questions.

    "Why is Player X performing well, when he didn't last year?"

    "Why is Player Y performing poorly when he was POM last month?"

    If you don't care about "why" questions, maybe you need to accept that other people do, rather than dismissing those external factors as tabloid trash? There is no sports journalism anymore that doesn't take those factors into account. Those external factors are usually the lead on Sportscenter now. Whether that's a good thing is debatable, but whether it's reality is not.
    I absolutely care about "why" questions. I don't care for idle speculation and baseless accusations used to answer those questions. There is a difference.
    Last edited by RedEye; 06-26-2013 at 09:59 PM.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25