Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 45 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: On the declining quality of the ORG

Re: On the declining quality of the ORG

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Every time I post there are a bunch of posters who do not like my post and it's made for a very hostile forum experience.
    Take it somewhere else, Larry.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    My only issue with the SABR crowd is when statements are made that dont fall in line with the SABR movement, then those statements are shot down as meaningless. I know the SABR guys put a lot of work into the research and everything, but I'm not trying to convince them their stats are meaningless, they just aren't what I use to evaluate a ball player. Also, I've came around to some of the SABR stuff, I just haven't done a ton of research on it. I know its probly the future of baseball, or at least going to be a big part of it, but with the time I have to enjoy baseball, I would rather watch and enjoy rather than be online looking at stats!!! GOOD DAY!!!
    Let's use Thom Brennaman as an example. The SABR crowd has roasted him like chestnuts on an open fire. Thom's a good baseball man and has been around the game his entire life. In fact it's his vocation whereas it's just a hobby for the rest of us; but this doesn't stop the SABR crowd from belittling him and claiming that they know the game better than he does.

4. Likes:

dubc47834 (05-28-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Thom's a good baseball man

claiming that they know the game better than he does.
    Considering I don't talk about runs batted in as the premier offensive category in baseball every 5 seconds, yes, I do.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

6. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-29-2014),dougdirt (05-29-2014),Raisor (05-28-2014),Razor Shines (05-31-2014),reds44 (05-30-2014),RedTeamGo! (05-28-2014)

Thom is fair game, he's an announcer who has been running in place as a baseball analyst since he entered the scene in Chicago 20 years ago. I've heard people who didn't give a squat about stats make fun of him as well as guys who think Dave Cameron is interesting. He's a celebrity and shouldn't even be brought up in a discussion about the behavior between posters on this board.

8. Likes:

Larkin Fan (05-28-2014),Raisor (05-28-2014)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

The assumption is that watching is understanding.

10. Likes:

dougdirt (05-29-2014),RedEye (05-29-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thom is fair game, he's an announcer who has been running in place as a baseball analyst since he entered the scene in Chicago 20 years ago. I've heard people who didn't give a squat about stats make fun of him as well as guys who think Dave Cameron is interesting. He's a celebrity and shouldn't even be brought up in a discussion about the behavior between posters on this board.
    Responses like this one make my point.

We need examples and I provided one. Some think it's fair game to basically call Thom an idiot. If anyone else has an example, it'd help clarify this issue

He's a celebrity and shouldn't even be brought up in a discussion about the behavior between posters on this board.
    Actually, I think he can be. There are several opinions that just will not be permitted in the ORG without heavy backlash, and being a fan of a Brennaman, or saying something positive about them is one of them. You can bet the farm that if someone starts a new thread noting something positive about Thom or Marty, it will turn into a hate session and the OP's original intent of the thread will drown in it.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Actually, I think he can be. There are several opinions that just will not be permitted in the ORG without heavy backlash, and being a fan of a Brennaman, or saying something positive about them is one of them. You can bet the farm that if someone starts a new thread noting something positive about Thom or Marty, it will turn into a hate session and the OP's original intent of the thread will drown in it.
    Well that's probably true, but you could say the same about any player on the team, Votto might be the best Reds player of a generation and he's getting beat like a tetherball.

It is a chat board and people will have opinions about things and the announcing team is likely to end up in the cross-hairs now and then. I think that hatcher was speaking directly about posters and player evaluation, but I could be wrong... it wouldn't be the last nor the first time either.

Let's use Thom Brennaman as an example. The SABR crowd has roasted him like chestnuts on an open fire. Thom's a good baseball man and has been around the game his entire life. In fact it's his vocation whereas it's just a hobby for the rest of us; but this doesn't stop the SABR crowd from belittling him and claiming that they know the game better than he does.
    People start running into problems the second they start ascribing a behavior to "X" crowd.

You might not like sabermetrics or when people lead their discussion points with them. But it really is meaningless to argue the "SABR" crowd this or the "SABR" crowd that. I'm likely one of the more pro-sabermetrics/sabermetrics prone members in the ORG. My posting history contains very little commentary on Thom.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Is that because of sabermetrics or because a sizeable portion of redszone (and presumably the reds' fanbase) don't like them for whatever reason. I fact a great deal of the complaining I hear about Marty centers way more on his negativity than it does on the prism he uses to understand the game.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Well that's probably true, but you could say the same about any player on the team, Votto might be the best Reds player of a generation and he's getting beat like a tetherball.

It is a chat board and people will have opinions about things and the announcing team is likely to end up in the cross-hairs now and then. I think that hatcher was speaking directly about posters and player evaluation, but I could be wrong... it wouldn't be the last nor the first time either.
    First of all, I don't think the treatment of Joey Votto should be considered a big positive for the ORG. It's fine to have opinions and there's no problem if Thom says something that an ORG member disagrees with but my point is that it goes much further. Take this thread as an example. I said something positive about Thom and w/i minutes someone posted a picture in protest. That would not have happened if I had stated that Bill James is a good baseball man

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    People start running into problems the second they start ascribing a behavior to "X" crowd.

You might not like sabermetrics or when people lead their discussion points with them. But it really is meaningless to argue the "SABR" crowd this or the "SABR" crowd that. I'm likely one of the more pro-sabermetrics/sabermetrics prone members in the ORG. My posting history contains very little commentary on Thom.
    Just for the record, you're also not a Reds fan

They call me "chef"

The rudeness is rampant here. I've had a poster tell me outright to shut up and "take it elsewhere". Something needs to be done.

18. Likes:

Tom Servo (05-28-2014)

Just for the record, that statement is the ultimate SHENANIGANS and it's offensive.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    The rudeness is rampant here. I've had a poster tell me outright to shut up and "take it elsewhere". Something needs to be done.
    Personally, I would add that you're a lousy freaking softball player, Jack, but I don't want to pile on.

21. Likes:

Razor Shines (05-31-2014)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

First of all, I don't think the treatment of Joey Votto should be considered a big positive for the ORG. It's fine to have opinions and there's no problem if Thom says something that an ORG member disagrees with but my point is that it goes much further. Take this thread as an example. I said something positive about Thom and w/i minutes someone posted a picture in protest. That would not have happened if I had stated that Bill James is a good baseball man

- - - Updated - - -

I mean to be fair, if that's the opinion of the place, that's just the opinion of the place. If Redszone doesn't like Thom generally, are people supposed to hold back their opinion because it disagrees with someone else's? That's just how it goes.

Turn Off Ads?