Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 45 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: On the declining quality of the ORG

Re: On the declining quality of the ORG

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    On a primarily unrelated note, would implementing functionality to hide quoting from any member of your ignore list be helpful, or would the conversation be too difficult to follow without the quote in a reply?
    Personally, I think it comes down to personal choice....if a person responds to someone on their ignore list, it's because they chose to do so. I guess the functionality that you describe wouldn't hurt the board as it would only affect members who have users on ignore but my bet would be that such a functionality wouldn't prevent members from interacting with those on their ignore list because in the end, they do so because they choose to do so. But if you think it'll lessen the workload on moderators, then pretty much, it's a must do.
    Last edited by jojo; 05-29-2014 at 09:10 AM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Seperate boards for sabr and non-sabr posters would be the downfall of redszone.
    I'm curious if the no-sabr-allowed crowd is really allergic to sabr or if they just do not want to post in an atmosphere containing conflict.

I've had an on-line presence for 20 years or so and post in several different forums covering a wide arena of content. To me the ORG seems to be filled with polite posters. As baseball forums go, I think ORG is informative and educated.

I also wonder if the quality of posting would seem to be better if the reds were simply doing better in the standings. Do we take out our frustration with the team on other fans?
    We had a split system for some time although the split was over time spent on the board more than on content.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Personally, I think it comes down to personal choice....if a person responds to someone on their ignore list, it's because they chose to do so. I guess the functionality that you describe wouldn't hurt the board as it would only affect members who have users on ignore but my bet would be that such a functionality wouldn't prevent members from interacting with those on their ignore list because in the end, they do so because they choose to do so. But if you think it'll lessen the workload on moderators, then pretty much, it's a must do.
    You're right that it would not prevent users from responding to ignored users (if they indeed want to), and I doubt it would lessen the moderating workload. It's more of a potential convenience to truly eliminate all posts from users on your ignore list.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    I'm curious if the no-sabr-allowed crowd is really allergic to sabr or if they just do not want to post in an atmosphere containing conflict.

I've had an on-line presence for 20 years or so and post in several different forums covering a wide arena of content. To me the ORG seems to be filled with polite posters. As baseball forums go, I think ORG is informative and educated.

I also wonder if the quality of posting would seem to be better if the reds were simply doing better in the standings. Do we take out our frustration with the team on other fans?
    We had a split system for some time although the split was over time spent on the board more than on content.
    Somewhere they are advocating for the kerosene lamp as well.

I don't have any problem with folks debating their merit, but do it with numbers or theories you can back up, not just "Marty's watched a lot of baseball."

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    You're right that it would not prevent users from responding to ignored users (if they indeed want to), and I doubt it would lessen the moderating workload. It's more of a potential convenience to truly eliminate all posts from users on your ignore list.
    I don't think ignore is the answer but I must admit that I'm not sure that there is an answer. Maybe it's just a reality of life on a baseball internet board. Basically the issue originally was framed as "there's a problem with ORG that's resulting in good people not participating ..." In other words, these people are in a word already ignoring a lot of the ORG. I don't think more "ignore" will change anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I don't think ignore is the answer but I must admit that I'm not sure that there is an answer. Maybe it's just a reality of life on a baseball internet board. Basically the issue originally was framed as "there's a problem with ORG that's resulting in good people not participating ..." In other words, these people are in a word already ignoring a lot of the ORG. I don't think more "ignore" will change anything.
    Just because someone says that does not mean it's happening.

My suggestion wasn't to address that concern. It was unrelated to most of the specifics here, but I didn't think it needed a new thread. I was just looking for some quick feedback before deciding if it's worth implementing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Just because someone says that does not mean it's happening.
    If you disagree, just say so

If you disagree, just say so
    He did.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

The three pages following hatcher's post proved his point. He is 100% dead on accurate.

It is impossible to make any point about the Reds on this board without many posters demanding that you provide statistical evidence to back up your claim. It really would be nice to just discuss the Reds and baseball, without getting so freakin serious and analytical about it.

These notions that: if an opinion isn't backed up by stats, it's crap; all baseball card stats are worthless; you can't learn anything from just watching the game; statistical evidence is the only evidence that matters; etc are alway brought up anytime any opinion is given, and it ruins the discussion.

I don't blame anyone who just wants to discuss Reds baseball from not wanting to post here. I know there are a ton of great opinions and thoughts that are getting stifled, and it's a shame.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

I don't blame anyone who just wants to discuss Reds baseball from not wanting to post here. I know there are a ton of great opinions and thoughts that are getting stifled, and it's a shame.
    But remember those people don't exist just because you say it does. I guess people like Jimbo and me don't count

The three pages following hatcher's post proved his point. He is 100% dead on accurate.

It is impossible to make any point about the Reds on this board without many posters demanding that you provide statistical evidence to back up your claim. It really would be nice to just discuss the Reds and baseball, without getting so freakin serious and analytical about it.

These notions that: if an opinion isn't backed up by stats, it's crap; all baseball card stats are worthless; you can't learn anything from just watching the game; statistical evidence is the only evidence that matters; etc are alway brought up anytime any opinion is given, and it ruins the discussion.

I must be missing something here but there hasn't been a single outbreak of saberjabbering in the last three pages. What there has been is healthy, respectful discussion ( ignoring that some have tried to define who a true fan is etc), some of which centered upon the post in question. I don't agree with the assessment of the last three pages. It is alright to disagree, right?
    Last edited by jojo; 05-29-2014 at 03:26 PM.

So you would like to make a point without any evidence, questioning, or analysis, but you would like to be able to discuss this point with other posters.

That sounds like a terrific deal for you.

15. Likes:

gilpdawg (05-29-2014)

What is wrong with someone asking for evidence when someone states an opinion like fact?

For example, in a thread recently you said a #1 starter must be under a certain benchmark, #2 must be under a certain benchmark, and so on. Unless I am mistaken you portrayed this opinion as if it were fact. I see nothing wrong with someone questioning a statement like that.

17. Likes:

gilpdawg (05-29-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    So you would like to make a point without any evidence, questioning, or analysis, but you would like to be able to discuss this point with other posters.

That sounds like a terrific deal for you.
    Some people just want to talk baseball. They don't want to have to write a thesis everytime they have a throwaway observation about something baseball-related.

Frankly, I'm a huge sabermetric fan and even I'm tired of all the threads that devolve into a huge 'which stat is correct' argument everytime someone says anything about RBIs, BA, ERA, etc. It always follows with "that's meaningless" and another stat, to which someone downplays the state posted and then you have the same repetitive discussion about sabermetrics. And frankly, they all end the same way: how WAR is or isn't silly.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

19. Likes:

757690 (05-29-2014),Bumstead (06-02-2014),foxfire123 (06-03-2014),jimbo (05-29-2014),RedFanAlways1966 (05-30-2014)

Turn Off Ads?