Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Most important player to NL Central teams

Most important player to NL Central teams

I'm not sure the Reds could withstand the loss of Chapman. I'm also not sure the Cards have a player that is as good as any of the top 5 Reds players, so an injury to any one player wouldn't hurt them as much. With the Pirates, it's AM. The Reds are going to run away with this thing, now winning on the road and beating the unbeatable Harvey. The Brewers and Cubs, who cares.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Most important player to NL Central teams

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMO View Post
    I'm not sure the Reds could withstand the loss of Chapman. I'm also not sure the Cards have a player that is as good as any of the top 5 Reds players, so an injury to any one player wouldn't hurt them as much. With the Pirates, it's AM. The Reds are going to run away with this thing, now winning on the road and beating the unbeatable Harvey. The Brewers and Cubs, who cares.
    If the Cardinals lost Yadi, they'd end up in 4th place.

While you're at it, pass that bad boy this way.
    We can share the women, we can share the wine.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofStLouis View Post
    If the Cardinals lost Yadi, they'd end up in 4th place.

While you're at it, pass that bad boy this way.
    He may be the most overrated player in baseball, but besides that, yeah, he's ok.

He's a singles hitter who has above average defense, but he's no where close to what Cardinal fans would have you believe. I watch him all the time, and he's very overrated. He may be the 5th or 6th best catcher in the NL.

Affable Opponent

I'll let that go since this is a Reds board and I'm a guest here.

I'll leave the discussion of Yadier Molina to real baseball people. I have watched the Cards fill holes from within for the last few seasons now. I don't remember the last time I heard any discussion from our folks about our catchers on the farm. That is how important Yadi is to this team.

6. Likes:

redhat (05-25-2013)

He may be the most overrated player in baseball, but besides that, yeah, he's ok.

He's a singles hitter who has above average defense, but he's no where close to what Cardinal fans would have you believe. I watch him all the time, and he's very overrated. He may be the 5th or 6th best catcher in the NL.

I can't stand yaddy, but the guy is an excellent defensive catcher who at least against the reds rakes in clutch situations. Who do you have rated above him not named buster posey?

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    I can't stand yaddy, but the guy is an excellent defensive catcher who at least against the reds rakes in clutch situations. Who do you have rated above him not named buster posey?
    Will Rosario, Brian McCann, Miguel Montero, John Buck and Hanigan. LuCroy or Russell Martin might be the 6th and 7th best, tossup between them and Molina. The guy is overrated, plain and simple. It's funny out here, he gets all the credit for the job of the starting pitching, but yet gets none of the blame for the bullpen. It he was as good as he's made out to be, the Cards wouldn't have bullpen problems. Miller was good before he got to St. Louis. So was Westbrook. Lynn was also good and Wainwright came from the Braves system and was around 3 HOF's, so Molina can't claim him either.

Anyway, it will be a two team race between the Pirates and Reds. Molina won't be able to do anything to help Jon Gast or this Tyler Lions kid. Mujica is smoke and mirrors. I think the Pirates are our biggest threat.

Chapman for the most part is a non factor for the Reds this year so far. There are 3-4 other pitchers in the pen that could do what he has done so far and maybe better. Right now the most important player this team can't lose is Phillips. His defense, hustle and such and no other option at second is the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Fan View Post
    Chapman for the most part is a non factor for the Reds this year so far. There are 3-4 other pitchers in the pen that could do what he has done so far and maybe better. Right now the most important player this team can't lose is Phillips. His defense, hustle and such and no other option at second is the man.
    I think you're making light of how good shutdown closers are. Chapman has the chance to be Mariano Rivera special, and no other team has a closer that can say that. Just keep him away from pastries and he'll be fine.

I love Phillips and yes the Reds would be in trouble without him, but I don't have a lot of faith in anyone else to do what Chapman is doing. Walt can always trade Cingrani for a position player if someone gets hurt, and now his value is even higher. But again, this is what I'm saying about the Reds. Choo, Phillips, Votto, Bruce, Chapman, Cueto and Latos are better than any player the Cards have.

The Cards farm system is also down to nothing now, so they have no help going forward. They keep talking about this kid Wacha, but nothing about him stands out. The Cards were stupid not to trade Tavares from Profar. Kozma is a .230 hitter in the minors and will be in the majors. They have no speed. I could go on and on, but I'm really sick of the hype and having them on the cover of SI today made my blood boil.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Fan View Post
    Have to agree on you about Philips. He's our best glove and he anchors the infield like no other 2B in the league right now. he really puts teams in a tough spot with his clutch hitting so far too. They can't exactly pitch around Votto because they end up facing the NL leader in RBIs with Votto on base.

On a side note, Molina is great and only Buster Posey can be mentioned in the same ranks of him in the NL.
    I've said all winter — they talk about this team winning the division — and my comment is, they won't win it because, at the end of the day, they still are the Chicago Cubs, and they will figure out a way to screw this whole thing up. - Marty Brennaman

Chapman is a relief pitcher(sigh). The Reds can afford to lose him more than alot of people.

Phillips is up on the list of people we can't afford to lose. I'd say Votto obviously tops that list, but Phillips and Choo are right there.

And as far as Molina goes, he's the best defensive catcher in the game who has turned himself into a good hitter the last 3 years. He's an awesome player, who I really wish was not a Cardinal.

14. Likes:

redhat (05-25-2013)

1. Closer might be the most overrated "position" in MLB.
    2. Phillips is the MVP of this team, not Chapman. Votto has the most potential.
    3. I think you're underrating the Cardinals. Votto and Choo are better than any players on the Cardinals, but Holliday, Beltran, Molina, and Craig are very good (but not great) players, and at least as good as any other position players the Reds have (Phillips is their equal and Bruce is close, but too streaky).
    4. The Pirates will fade by the end of the season. They're probably better this year than last, but if they finish above .500, it won't be by much (85 wins at most).
    5. Harvey is overrated. He's a good pitcher, but today was the first time he has faced a good offense all season. He had gotten lucky to not have to face good hitting teams (he missed Colorado, Atlanta, and St. Louis). He also has an unsustainably low BABIP (.199).

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Yadier shows up against the Reds like Brandon shows up against the Cardinals.

Yadier is probably one of the top 3 catchers in the game right now.

But I heard Larussa actually say, and I'm guessing he was drunk when he was quoted, that Molina was better than Bench. Which just reaffirms that TLR is .......
    Last edited by Vottomatic; 05-22-2013 at 07:12 PM.

17. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-22-2013)

Our most important player is Joey Votto, end of discussion. We have rotation depth, bullpen depth, what we don't have is anyone else who can get on base 45% of the time and OPS near 1.000. Aside from maybe Choo we don't even have another batter capable of OPSing .900.

I know we went on a hot streak without him last year but over the course of a season I don't see it being sustainable.

As for St. Louis given Garcias injury I'd say Wainright is their most important player. Their young pitchers are talented but they need the veteran anchor in their rotation.

Will Rosario, Brian McCann, Miguel Montero, John Buck and Hanigan. LuCroy or Russell Martin might be the 6th and 7th best, tossup between them and Molina. The guy is overrated, plain and simple. It's funny out here, he gets all the credit for the job of the starting pitching, but yet gets none of the blame for the bullpen. It he was as good as he's made out to be, the Cards wouldn't have bullpen problems. Miller was good before he got to St. Louis. So was Westbrook. Lynn was also good and Wainwright came from the Braves system and was around 3 HOF's, so Molina can't claim him either.

Anyway, it will be a two team race between the Pirates and Reds. Molina won't be able to do anything to help Jon Gast or this Tyler Lions kid. Mujica is smoke and mirrors. I think the Pirates are our biggest threat.

Turn Off Ads?