Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minor League Updates Thursdsay 5/23/2013

Re: Minor League Updates Thursdsay 5/23/2013

Dayton Dragons game is now final. 7-6 in favor of the Dragons in a competitive match throughout, with the Dragons scoring 2 in the eighth inning after West Michigan had 1 in their half. West Michigan blanked in the ninth, Dragon's Ben Klimesh awarded the win

2. Turn Off Ads?

When does Sharky earn himself a promotion?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Tony Cingrani and three relievers combined to shut down Pawtucket in a 10-0 Louisville win, while Bats' hitters pounded out 17 hits.

Cingrani struck out five, while allowing just two hits over five innings. Mike MacDougal, Jumbo Diaz and Nick Christiani all were scoreless in relief.
    Offensively, Felix Perez was 3-5 with 3 ribbies. Hamilton, Rodriguez, Soto, Burriss, Ashley and Fellhauer all had two hits each. Fellhauer drove in four.

Pensacola out hit Chattanooga 14 to 5 but lost the game 5-3. Chattanooga rallied for four runs off of Loek Van Mil in the bottom of the eighth. Van Mil walked three during the rally.

Chad Rogers was outstanding again. 6IP 3H 1R 0ER 1BB 3K.
    Drew Hayes pitched a scoreless seventh. Van Mil imploded in the eighth.

Luis Durango upped his average to .346 with a pair of singles. Barnhart, Lohman, Mather and Greene had a pair of safeties apiece. Travis Mattair cranked out his fifth home run of the season.

Bakersfield pushed across a run in the bottom of the eleventh to make it six wins in a row.
    They beat Stockton 4-3 in extra innings.

Jon Moscot with another solid starting effort. 5IP 5H 2R 2ER 2BB 6K.
    Kyle Lotzkar made a successful return to the California League. He allowed a run in two innings of work. More importantly he walked nobody and struck out four.
    Pat Doyle worked three shutout innings, striking out four. El'Hajj Muhammad earned the victory with a virgin eleventh.

Ryan Wright walked, doubled, scored twice and started the winning rally.
    Yorman Rodriguez doubled.
    Marquez Smith doubled, homered, walked twice, scored once and drove home a pair.
    Yovan Gonzalez had a pair of singles.
    Steve Selsky singled in the winning run in the eleventh.

Juan Perez was back in the lineup.

In an entertaining contest, Dayton rallied for two in the bottom of the eighth to come out on top 7-6.

Drew Cisco had his worst outing of the year, giving up five runs on eleven hits in 5.2 innings of work. Ben Klimesh gave up a run in the top of the eighth but took the victory thanks to the Dragon rally in the home half of the inning. Sean Lucas earned his fifth save.

Joe Terry had singled and double in the winning run in the eighth.
    Tanner Rahier homered.
    Dayton took advantage of six walks as they scored seven runs on just seven hits.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Louisville has jumped out to a 1-0 lead after one.

Billy Hamilton singled, stole a base (24) and rode home on a single by Felix Perez. Bats start the second with five consecutive hits and now lead 6-0. Louisville has scored in every inning and lead 8-0. Felix with a pair of RBI singles. Josh Fellhauer has a pair of doubles and has driven home four. Burriss and Hamilton with two hits apiece.
    Tony Cingrani has been a little wild, walking four in five scoreless innings of work. He has given up just a pair of singles and struck out five.
    Was this game rain delayed? I was going to watch some of it on MILBTV and kept getting a video is not available message. Gametime was listed on their site for 6:35 pm.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I did end up attending the Dayton Dragons game last night, however I was forced to leave in the bottom of the fourth because my girlfriend and her friend were too cold to stay. It honestly was nearly as cold feeling last night in Dayton as it was on Opening Day in Cincinnati.

I wonder if that had to do with Cisco and Winker's poor performances. Honestly, I do not think Cisco pitched too poorly other than the bomb he gave up in the second during the first four innings. In the first, when Cisco gave up two runs, he gave up a single up the middle, then one between the third baseman and shortstop and then two solid hit line drives that landed in front of the outfielders. Sure, it looked bad to give up two runs and four hits in the first, but I don't think he is a poor pitcher because of that.

Honestly, I was very impressed with Cisco's stuff. He was getting a lot of swings and misses and was doing a good job of hitting the corners.

The other guy who was very impressive to me was Tanner Rahier. The home run he hit was an absolute bomb. Furthermore, he was picking it at third and exhbiting a cannon over there. Through only four innings of one game, he looked like the most impressive position player on the team.

Winker did not look bad out there, but he just didn't make solid contact in the two PAs I saw. I am sure Winker was due to cool down one of these nights. It was good that his teammates picked him up and the Dragons still got the W.

I don't know if any one has said this before, but he seemed to throw the ball a little unorthodox out there. He seemed to have adequate arm strength, but took a different arm slot than I am used to seeing from an outfielder. I wasn't really close to him being down the first base line, but it just seemed odd from where I was sitting. Range did not appear to be a problem from Winker. He moved around pretty well out there, and the Dunn defensive comparisons certainly do not fit at this time. Winker looked very fit out there.

Gelalich and Amaral showed me nothing last night either. Granted, I was there for a very short period of time, but I have followed those two since they have been drafted and I still don't know why we picked them so early. Those two guys might be the key for the Dragons getting over .500.

Seth Mejias-Brean has a lot of work to do with the bat if he is going to be a long-term first baseman. I was very impressed with what he did last year at Billings as a third baseman, but the bar is much higher offensively for a first baseman and SMB is really struggling this year.

Hudson had some one steal on him during the first four innings and his throw was way too high for Vincej to make the play. Hudson is another guy who has potential to help this team out, but has struggled at the dish most of this year as well.

Joe Terry is certainly benefitting from being a year or more older than most of the guys in this league. It's nice to have someone like him actually getting on base for Winker.

I hope to go again (and stay the whole time) when Stephenson pitches sometime in the future. When I go to that game, I will be able to give my opinion on how guys have progressed and have an even better idea of what is gong on with the Dragons.
    Last edited by Edd Roush; 05-24-2013 at 09:28 AM.

10. Likes:

mdccclxix (05-24-2013),texasdave (05-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Was this game rain delayed? I was going to watch some of it on MILBTV and kept getting a video is not available message. Gametime was listed on their site for 6:35 pm.
    No idea. When I signed on I thought that game was going to be about halfway over and they were in the first. So a rain delay is quite possible.

It seems as though Pawtucket had travel problems and the game was pushed back an hour because of them.

The PawSox convened at their home ballpark for a 5 a.m. bus to T.F. Green Airport. Scheduled to arrive in Louisville by way of Philadelphia in late morning, their connecting flight was cancelled, they were rerouted through Charlotte and didn't touch down in Kentucky until less than an hour before the scheduled first pitch.
    Last edited by texasdave; 05-24-2013 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Although tossing a shutout through 5, Cingani has uncharacteristically walked 4. Could this signify he is working more with his secondary pitches?
    Sounds like it. Here is a blurb from the Louisville Courier-Journal.

The walks were uncharacteristic. He had 26 strikeouts to two walks in his previous 14.1 innings, but aside from the control problems, Cingrani looked like himself, reaching 96 mph on the Louisville Slugger Field stadium radar gun.

“He came down here with the instructions to mix in a lot of off-speed stuff. He did that tonight,” manager Jim Riggleman said. “He mixed in his changeup and his slider with his fastball. He was a little frustrated. There were some ... balls that were just off the plate that he wasn’t getting. He got his pitch count up, but it was a good night.”

Hamilton' steal came when the catcher was tossing the ball back to the pitcher. Slidin' Billy took off and motored into third.

Juan Perez is back in the Blaze lineup. Juan Silverio's hitting streak now stands at 14.
    Last edited by texasdave; 05-24-2013 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    No idea. When I signed on I thought that game was going to be about halfway over and they were in the first. So a rain delay is quite possible.

It seems as though Pawtucket had travel problems and the game was pushed back an hour because of them.
    Thanks. That explains it. No wonder they lost 10-0. I'm sure they were worn out from that travel debacle.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?