Thread: Wins comparison/Upcoming schedule comparison

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Wins comparison/Upcoming schedule comparison

Team____vs. below .500 teams_____vs. above .500 teams
    Reds________________23-5____________________6-13
    Cards_______________16-7____________________14-9
    Pirates______________17-12___________________12-6

Starting this weekend through July 4th
    Team____________games vs. below .500 teams_________games vs. above .500 teams
    Reds____________________________10________________ ______________29
    Cards___________________________22________________ ______________16
    Pirates__________________________20_______________ _______________17

Tough stretch ahead for the Reds. This will tell us a lot.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Wins comparison/Upcoming schedule comparison

The Pirates are a non-event as far as I am concerned but you're certainly right to suggest that we've got the tougher schedule run coming up. The Cards don't just play more teams under .500 but they play some just terrible teams. Between now and the ASG, they have one run (June 11-20) where they play the Mets, Marlins, and Cubs and then another (July 5-14) where they play the Marlins, Astros, and Cubs. There are also two other games against the Astros on June 25-26. It's shocking to me that the Reds have played as well as they have and might be 5 back at the break.

The Pirates are hanging tough and look like the real deal to me. I haven't looked in the last week, but before that McCutcheon hadn't even really gotten going.

I'll go look now.

In the last 8 games, McCutcheon has raised his BA from .266 to .291 adding 2 HR's to give him 6 total, with 25 rbi. He's also stolen 5 bases in those 8 games and raised his OBP to .356. He's heating up. In fact, he was hitting .237 with an OBP of .297 on the first of May.

The real difference maker in the field is Starling Marte batting .310 and making things happen.

Pitching is solid and hanging with the Reds and Cards. Atleast their first 3 starters - Burnett, Locke, and Wandy Rod.

Personally, I don't think it will tell us that much. I'll just throw out a random prediction. Let's say we go 7-3 against lesser teams and 15-14 against good teams. Now what?

Quote Originally Posted by swaisuc View Post
    Personally, I don't think it will tell us that much. I'll just throw out a random prediction. Let's say we go 7-3 against lesser teams and 15-14 against good teams. Now what?
    How does that not tell you much? That tells me the Reds can hang with the best teams and are deserving of their record.

If they maintain their current winning % against +.500 teams then we'll have to start being concerned that this team reverted to the 2010 Reds.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by swaisuc View Post
    Well, we've only won 32% of our games against above .500 teams so far and 82% of our games against sub-.500 teams. It won't, but what if it did maintain itself at that percentage?

9-20 against above .500 teams
    8-2 against below .500 teams

17-22.

It's all speculative.

Interesting but this is similar to what happened in 2010, if I remember correctly. The Reds have a winning record against below .500 while the Cardinals had the exact opposite. I could argue that the Cardinals "easy" stretch could be bad for them since they have a bad record against bad teams.

I kept asking what's worse? Losing against bad teams or losing against good teams? It's interesting and a valid point for playoff banter but it doesn't matter in the regular season. Teams needs wins to reach the playoffs and a W against the Marlins equals one against the Cardinals.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    It's all speculative.
    Yes, it definitely is. And remember that teams can "change"... injuries, so-and-so not performing as well or performing better. Also some games might be home that were on the road (vice versa). Etc, etc, etc. Not to diminish what the W-L record shows (it does mean something).

That is why they play the games.

Quote Originally Posted by Trajinous View Post
    Interesting but this is similar to what happened in 2010, if I remember correctly. The Reds have a winning record against below .500 while the Cardinals had the exact opposite. I could argue that the Cardinals "easy" stretch could be bad for them since they have a bad record against bad teams.

I kept asking what's worse? Losing against bad teams or losing against good teams? It's interesting and a valid point for playoff banter but it doesn't matter in the regular season. Teams needs wins to reach the playoffs and a W against the Marlins equals one against the Cardinals.
    True.

Reds played the Marlins while Stanton was floundering offensively. He may have it going when the Pirates and Cardinals play them.

And the better teams might hit the skids about the time the Reds play them.

You never know what could happen.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

It's clear we are doomed.......

Meh. I just think we're headed into a REAL TEST and I'm hoping the Reds rise to the top and meet the challenge.

I would think this would start to even out a little bit, with them winning more against teams above .500 and losing a little more to teams below (well, hopefully that's not true).

And this stat is heavily skewed by that first awful road trip they had last month. They started off 1-8 on the road.

Actually, the Cards have their first tough stretch coming up right now.

3 vs. Dodgers in LA
    4 vs. KC 2H, 2A
    3 vs. SF
    3 vs. Az
    3 vs. Reds in Cincinnati.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

15. Likes:

Z-Fly (05-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Actually, the Cards have their first tough stretch coming up right now.

3 vs. Dodgers in LA
    4 vs. KC 2H, 2A
    3 vs. SF
    3 vs. Az
    3 vs. Reds in Cincinnati.
    kc is sub-.500 now.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    kc is sub-.500 now.
    So are the Dodgers, but neither team is an easy win. Records can be very deceiving this time of year.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Turn Off Ads?