Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: If you could acquire one player at the deadline, who would it be?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

If you could acquire one player at the deadline, who would it be?

I've had a hard week of work, and I came down sick last night, so I'm taking it easy today.

This is just for fun. I realize there are a lot of things that go into acquiring a player. I'm just curious who YOU would be interested in acquiring if a deal could get done for Reds prospects only and maybe adding a Chapman or Leake or both. I don't want to get into losing any key position players or starting pitching.

Here are the rules:
    1. Cannot be a player on a playoff contender......let's just say the team has to have a sub-.500 record right now.
    2. Cannot be Bryce Harper (Nats one game over .500 anyway) or Mike Trout.
    3. Player cannot be making more than $15M this year. Because at the deadline, the Reds would be responsible for about half or less of that. (edited this and increased it)

There you have it. Now who would YOU acquire that meets those rules?
    Last edited by Vottomatic; 05-24-2013 at 09:01 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: If you could acquire one player at the deadline, who would it be?

David DeJesus, cost, role, production, fit.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Yeah, I like him too. But isn't he lefthanded? I'd want to bat him second and Dusty would never put 3 lefties in a row.

Good high OBP guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I've had a hard week of work, and I came down sick last night, so I'm taking it easy today.

This is just for fun. I realize there are a lot of things that go into acquiring a player. I'm just curious who YOU would be interested in acquiring if a deal could get done for Reds prospects only and maybe adding a Chapman or Leake or both. I don't want to get into losing any key position players or starting pitching.

Here are the rules:
    1. Cannot be a player on a playoff contender......let's just say the team has to have a sub-.500 record right now.
    3. Player cannot be making more than $15M this year. Because at the deadline, the Reds would be responsible for about half or less of that. (edited this and increased it)

There you have it. Now who would YOU acquire that meets those rules?
    Won't be the popular answer people are looking for, but I'd probably go for a lefty reliever. Marshall's arm is looking like it will need to be nursed all season, Parra hasn't been up to snuff and Cingrani (who could solve the problem) is needed as rotation insurance. Not sure if the Angels qualify as a contender, but Scott Downs is a free agent after the year and he's still effective.

If someone else is lost, that may change the answer, but I think the Reds are OK at the other spots. If Ludwick can't come back, I might go for a RH OF Bat, but I wouldn't create a hole elsewhere or empty too much of the depth chart to get one. With those conditions, it might be hard to upgrade from Heisey.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

6. Likes:

Always Red (05-24-2013)

Ryan Braun

8. Likes:

Edd Roush (05-24-2013),smixsell (05-24-2013)

Jean Segura?

Hope you feel better Vottomatic.

Easy, Mike Tro...
    nevermind
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I've liked Dejesus for a while, but with Choo being a Righty killer who struggles against LHP and Paul and Lutz seeming to fit that same mold, Dejesus production against RHP and lack of production against LHP make him a poor fit. If Paul and Lutz start to crash to earth (and Ludwick looks like he won't be back) Dejesus would climb to the top of my list. If the Reds could find a way to get James Russell in the same deal, that would be ideal.

Something along the lines of Corcino, Vidal, Contreras and Ondrusek for Dejesus and Russell.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I think the lefty arm out of the pen needs to be found before the deadline, because Marshall is showing signs of pre-injury. That's probably ahead of a bat on my list right now.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Shin Soo Choo

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Alex Gordon
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Alex Gordon
    Yeah, KC is under .500 and starting to slide.

Makes me wonder if Gordon will be available and how much we'd have to give up.

Good question.

First lets assume that Ludwick does come back and is at least a starting LF at worst in a platoon situation. My second assumption is that Billy Hamilton is going to be called up and would be on the 25 man heading into a playoff series.

A LH reliever would make sense, but I think the Reds have that in Cingrani. I don't see them going after a big name unless someone goes down. I think more than anything else your going to see a Marlon Byrd or David DeJesus. I want the Reds to get a true defensive CF to move Choo to LF late in ball games. I know the Reds are resistant to that idea now, but in big ball park that will come into handy.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Yeah, KC is under .500 and starting to slide.

Makes me wonder if Gordon will be available and how much we'd have to give up.
    I forgot he bats LH, though. Meh. His splits are still decent.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    I forgot he bats LH, though. Meh. His splits are still decent.
    KC has lost 10 of 13 and 13 of 17. Definitely skidding.

KC would be selling high definitely as Gordon is having a stellar season batting .346 with an .908 OPS. 6 HR's, 30 rbi, .384 OBP.

Wow. IN 65 at-bats against lefties he's hitting .431 with an OBP of .479 and an OPS of 1.140. Unreal. Against righties, 120 at-bats, .300 batting average, .781 OPS. Makes no sense for a lefty to be hitting that well against lefties and not quite as good against righties.

Not sure the Reds have anything that KC would be willing to take for Gordon.

Turn Off Ads?