Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: If you could acquire one player at the deadline, who would it be?

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: If you could acquire one player at the deadline, who would it be?

By the way, I am and have always been a huge fan of bringing Willingham to Cincinnati. Now would be a good time to buy low on him since he is sporting an unlucky .266 BABIP and a 13.9% HR/FB. Trading for Willingham (or another legitimate left field bat) allows Phillips to move back to the two hole and push Cozart down in the line-up for good.

2. Likes:

marcshoe (06-20-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    If you could pick up Willingham and Shields, you could just go ahead and get the World Series shirts to the printer
    Be careful what you print

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    By the way, I am and have always been a huge fan of bringing Willingham to Cincinnati. Now would be a good time to buy low on him since he is sporting an unlucky .266 BABIP and a 13.9% HR/FB. Trading for Willingham (or another legitimate left field bat) allows Phillips to move back to the two hole and push Cozart down in the line-up for good.
    So Ludwick then just becomes first bat off the bench if/when he comes back?

Don't forget the Reds were reportedly interested in Matt Garza before he got hurt last year.

Granted Leake wasn't pitching great then and Cingrani wasn't on the doorstep yet, but still.

Of those OFers listed, the only one who I think would be a major upgrade is Stanton obviously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Has Jurickson Profar made it onto this thread? Does he qualify as a possibility?
    Jurickson won't be available because he needs to work on his "secondary" throws to first base in the minors.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Jurickson won't be available because he needs to work on his "secondary" throws to first base in the minors.
    Crap. I knew it.

Cincy native James Russell would be a GREAT target.

Walt has a history of trading light hitting minor league CF for lefty relievers from Theo and the Cubs.

I wonder what it would take - Felix Perez and Junior Arias for Russell?

There was an unconfirmed report a couple years back of the Cubs' interest in swapping Marmol for Heisey. I want zero part of Marmol but maybe they'd still take Heisey (for Russell)?
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-20-2013 at 03:23 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    So Ludwick then just becomes first bat off the bench if/when he comes back?
    If Ludwick comes back this year, and the Reds were to acquire another good hitting left fielder, Ludwick would be the first bat off the bench, or if the Reds want to get creative, they could start Bruce in center against lefties and have Ludwick play right while Choo sits. Having too many good hitters for too few positions is a fine problem for the Reds to have.

Right now, left field is kind of an abyss with this team. Both Paul and Robinson are sporting decent enough OPSs due to unsustainable BB rates. I don't expect either of them to OPS over .800 this year and Robinson may struggle to stay over .700. The Reds simply cannot afford to start a guy in left field with a sub .330 slugging percentage.

I think Willingham matches the Reds needs and he is now has a contract status that the Reds can take on. The Twins know they are going no where this year and they can't even offer him the one-year tender, because he would likely accept. So, therefore, they have to deal him before July 31 if they want to get something of value.

The Reds don't have much on the farm, but certainly have enough to land Willingham. No way I deal Stephenson, or even Traveioso or Winker for him, but I am sure a couple of C prospects may get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Cincy native James Russell would be a GREAT target.

Walt has a history of trading light hitting minor league CF for lefty relievers from Theo and the Cubs.

I wonder what it would take - Felix Perez and Junior Arias for Russell?

There was an unconfirmed report a couple years back of the Cubs' interest in swapping Marmol for Heisey. I want zero part of Marmol but maybe they'd still take Heisey (for Russell)?
    Fantastic trade idea. This would allow Cingrani to go back to being our sixth starter and really bolster the back end of the pen.

Problem is that the Cubs control him through 2015, so they may not want to part with a useful piece especially if they think they can compete in 2014 and/or 2015.

Perez and Arias seems like too light of a package to me, but if that is all it takes, I will drive them to Chicago myself.

If Ludwick comes back this year, and the Reds were to acquire another good hitting left fielder, Ludwick would be the first bat off the bench, or if the Reds want to get creative, they could start Bruce in center against lefties and have Ludwick play right while Choo sits. Having too many good hitters for too few positions is a fine problem for the Reds to have.

Right now, left field is kind of an abyss with this team. Both Paul and Robinson are sporting decent enough OPSs due to unsustainable BB rates. I don't expect either of them to OPS over .800 this year and Robinson may struggle to stay over .700. The Reds simply cannot afford to start a guy in left field with a sub .330 slugging percentage.

I think Willingham matches the Reds needs and he is now has a contract status that the Reds can take on. The Twins know they are going no where this year and they can't even offer him the one-year tender, because he would likely accept. So, therefore, they have to deal him before July 31 if they want to get something of value.

The Reds don't have much on the farm, but certainly have enough to land Willingham. No way I deal Stephenson, or even Traveioso or Winker for him, but I am sure a couple of C prospects may get it done.
    While we're at it, what about Glen Perkins, LH reliever. Having a real good year with Min. 31 years old, so maybe they would trade him too.

Quote Originally Posted by 40YrRedsFan View Post
    While we're at it, what about Glen Perkins, LH reliever. Having a real good year with Min. 31 years old, so maybe they would trade him too.
    Perkins is a stud. The Twins have him under contract for two more years, so I'm not sure what if he is on the block or if so, how much they want back. If it's a couple C level prospects, I'm game. No Winker, Traveioso or Stephenson allowed to move in a Perkins and/or Willingham deal.

Raisor, who do you bump from the rotation if you acquire James Shields?
    Bronson to the pen as bionic long man

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Bronson to the pen as bionic long man
    I don't mind that idea. What do you think it would cost to acquire both Shields and Willingham? Would you trade Stephenson or Winker to get it done?

If Ludwick comes back this year, and the Reds were to acquire another good hitting left fielder, Ludwick would be the first bat off the bench, or if the Reds want to get creative, they could start Bruce in center against lefties and have Ludwick play right while Choo sits.
    Unfortunately, Dusty isn't creative....

Giancarlo Stanton

Turn Off Ads?