Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: If you could acquire one player at the deadline, who would it be?

Re: If you could acquire one player at the deadline, who would it be?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    If you could pick up Willingham and Shields, you could just go ahead and get the World Series shirts to the printer
    And when none of that happens, you could donate them to a third world country.
    We can share the women, we can share the wine.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I don't mind that idea. What do you think it would cost to acquire both Shields and Willingham? Would you trade Stephenson or Winker to get it done?
    I would have to think at this point that Stephenson is untouchable.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofStLouis View Post
    And when none of that happens, you could donate them to a third world country.
    Or East St. Louis. Which amounts to pretty much the same thing.

5. Likes:

Vottomatic (06-21-2013)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Bronson to the pen as bionic long man
    Why would you even do that then? To kick a guy who currently sports a 3.27 ERA out of the rotation?

7. Likes:

RadfordVA (06-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Why would you even do that then? To kick a guy who currently sports a 3.27 ERA out of the rotation?
    Because I think Shields is better going forward. I think a playoff rotation of Cueto, Latos, Shields, and Homer is as good or better than any other team out there.

Stanton, but it will never happen.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

I could see the Pirates going hard after Stanton. They CERTAINLY have the prospects to make it happen. An OF of Stanton, McCutchen and Marte could be the new Bonds, Bonilla and Van Slyke.

They could dangle Tallion and one of their other OF prospects (Polanco or Bell) and still have one of the best systems in the NL. Not sure the Reds could compete with that kind of offer unless they put Stephenson out there, which I wouldn't do.

Plus I'm no longer convinced we need a huge OF bat unless it's certain that Ludwick won't be coming back this year. It might be better to go after bullpen help and/or a SS (ahem, Profar). If Ludwick isn't coming back, Rios would be the guy that would make the most sense to me, given his lower price tag and FA after next year.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-21-2013 at 12:20 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Crain, Russell, Oliver Perez, Etc ...

Ultimately relief upgrades.

12. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I could see the Pirates going hard after Stanton. They CERTAINLY have the prospects to make it happen. An OF of Stanton, McCutchen and Marte could be the new Bonds, Bonilla and Van Slyke.
    I can't see Huntington doing that. If he did, the fans might expect them to actually win something instead of just competing into August, then slipping back. Too much pressure.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

They could dangle Tallion and one of their other OF prospects (Polanco or Bell) and still have one of the best systems in the NL. Not sure the Reds could compete with that kind of offer unless they put Stephenson out there, which I wouldn't do.

Plus I'm no longer convinced we need a huge OF bat unless it's certain that Ludwick won't be coming back this year. It might be better to go after bullpen help and/or a SS (ahem, Profar). If Ludwick isn't coming back, Rios would be the guy that would make the most sense to me, given his lower price tag and FA after next year.
    I agree with you that the Pirates have what it takes to acquire Stanton. So does St. Louis.

If you think about that too long, it will bother you.

I think the Reds will have a hard time acquiring anything outside of a reliever, unless the other team just wants to jettison a high salary.

I would try to obtain Matt Thornton from the White Sox. A former flame-thrower, he's become more rounded as a pitcher as his fastball has slowed down. He's allowed only 3 of 26 inherited base-runners to score. A Left-hander, he'd be very useful to this pen and is one of the more acquirable arms out there.

16. Likes:

wheels (06-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Personally, I'd target 1990 Bo Jackson.

Per your rules, you did NOT say time travel wasn't allowed.

Seriously though, can you just imagine how PERFECT he'd fit on the Reds right now? LF, cleanup, right handed, speed, defense.

In all my years of watching baseball I've had many "what if" moments regarding players who didn't turn out like I thought or got injured, but none came close to the "what if" regarding Bo. The things he could do on the field were just incredible.
    If time travel is involved, I am going back for Eric Davis. Imagine him in CF for this team...

18. Likes:

redsfandan (06-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut View Post
    If time travel is involved, I am going back for Eric Davis. Imagine him in CF for this team...
    Actually, sometimes when I see ED in recent pics, I feel like I am in a time warp. Guy is incredibly well-preserved. Doesn't look that much different than he did in the mid-1990s.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

NO WAY does a deal for stanton not include 4 prospects, and i guarantee it isn't going to start with your 2nd best pitcher. IF the pirates want stanton, Cole would have to be included.
    Just a dude who loves the reds, and some new sneakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Because there's an argument that he's the 6th best starter on the team?

Turn Off Ads?