Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: If you could acquire one player at the deadline, who would it be?

Re: If you could acquire one player at the deadline, who would it be?

My #1 player (if I can choose anyone)....

Yadier Molina....gives us a great offensive bat and probably the best defensive catcher....AND greatly weakens are toughest competitor.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I agree with you that the Pirates have what it takes to acquire Stanton. So does St. Louis.

If you think about that too long, it will bother you.

I think the Reds will have a hard time acquiring anything outside of a reliever, unless the other team just wants to jettison a high salary.

If The Pirates or Cardinals get Stanton and the Reds do nothing and I hear Walt say "we tried to get something done but We were not able too" I will be sick and angry and not happy at all.. To get 3 million fans like the Cards you have to be proactive, and add the parts you know will help your team succeed in the post season Like the CARDS always seem to do!!! Not sit on your hands and tell your fan base your just happy winning the division and NOT taking the steps to get the big prize EVERY Reds fan has wanted since 1990!!

4. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfansince72 View Post
    If The Pirates or Cardinals get Stanton and the Reds do nothing and I hear Walt say "we tried to get something done but We were not able too" I will be sick and angry and not happy at all.. To get 3 million fans like the Cards you have to be proactive, and add the parts you know will help your team succeed in the post season Like the CARDS always seem to do!!! Not sit on your hands and tell your fan base your just happy winning the division and NOT taking the steps to get the big prize EVERY Reds fan has wanted since 1990!!

Every teams fans expect this...yet for all the great Braves teams for years they won ONE but were still always in the running for more. Give me that sort of run and let's see what happens. The Phillies were going to dominate for a while too and it has ended quickly for them.

In regards to Stanton...the Reds have anything they can trade in the minors without gutting what they have left to get him?

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    My #1 player (if I can choose anyone)....

Yadier Molina....gives us a great offensive bat and probably the best defensive catcher....AND greatly weakens are toughest competitor.
    I dunno. Have you seen the other thread going now? Looks like Yadi will be suspended pretty soon for PEDs.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I dunno. Have you seen the other thread going now? Looks like Yadi will be suspended pretty soon for PEDs.
    Regardless....if we have him then it's a lock that St Louis (or other contenders don't)

Lol....how dare he improve a little each year from a young player to an experienced vet! Those same biased homers probably think Luis Gonzalez was clean.

8. Likes:

RedEye (06-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I could see the Pirates going hard after Stanton. They CERTAINLY have the prospects to make it happen. An OF of Stanton, McCutchen and Marte could be the new Bonds, Bonilla and Van Slyke.

They could dangle Tallion and one of their other OF prospects (Polanco or Bell) and still have one of the best systems in the NL. Not sure the Reds could compete with that kind of offer unless they put Stephenson out there, which I wouldn't do.

Plus I'm no longer convinced we need a huge OF bat unless it's certain that Ludwick won't be coming back this year. It might be better to go after bullpen help and/or a SS (ahem, Profar). If Ludwick isn't coming back, Rios would be the guy that would make the most sense to me, given his lower price tag and FA after next year.
    Pirates aren't getting Stanton or Profar unless Cole goes in the deal IMO. Just like the Reds packages a few years ago may have been better than the competition, without Bruce or Bailey, other teams weren't biting.

I think the Reds would need to put Stephenson in the deal, but teams usually are after some one closer to the big leagues. If Hamilton was having a good year he might be able to center a deal, but as it is, I just don't see a major player coming to Cincy with what the Reds have to deal. Better to deal spare parts for a Denorfia type or a decent lefty arm.

Cingrani might be able to center a deal I suppose.

I just think teams would prefer to deal for one future star than 3 or 4 guys who project to be good role players.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I agree with you that the Pirates have what it takes to acquire Stanton. So does St. Louis.

If you think about that too long, it will bother you.

I think the Reds will have a hard time acquiring anything outside of a reliever, unless the other team just wants to jettison a high salary.
    If the Pirates are willing to include Cole or the Cards Tavares, I think they could get anyone they want. Without those guys though, teams may hold out or look elsewhere even though secondary guys from Pittsburgh or St. Louis might be better than other teams best guys.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?