Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What promotions would you like to see at GABP?

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Re: What promotions would you like to see at GABP?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Well if you make that exception, they are just going to claim they have diarrhea the entire game and still do what they always do.

Honestly, what makes you more important than me (speaking in generalities here)? Why is your convenience of watching the game more important than mine of going to the bathroom or getting a drink or hot dog or beer or whatever else when I want to get one? I go to 10-20 games a year. I don't leave my seat except to go to the restroom. I have never felt like others were being rude or anything else simply because they left their seat. It happens. They paid to get into the park too. That includes all that comes with it. The restrooms, the playground for their kids, the vendors, the food and beverage options, the team shop, the kiosks.
    You know, I never thought of it that way doug- you're right- how rude of me to want to watch the baseball game while I'm at the baseball game!

I'm not even considering the rights of others, since they paid just as much as I did, to cavort up and down the aisle, anytime they want, paying no attention to anything at all, other than what they're going to eat next. How obtuse I am!!

Really, doug, I understand that you are just playing a game here.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Well if you make that exception, they are just going to claim they have diarrhea the entire game and still do what they always do.

Honestly, what makes you more important than me (speaking in generalities here)? Why is your convenience of watching the game more important than mine of going to the bathroom or getting a drink or hot dog or beer or whatever else when I want to get one? I go to 10-20 games a year. I don't leave my seat except to go to the restroom. I have never felt like others were being rude or anything else simply because they left their seat. It happens. They paid to get into the park too. That includes all that comes with it. The restrooms, the playground for their kids, the vendors, the food and beverage options, the team shop, the kiosks.
    My convenience is not more important than yours; it is the same, but my wife and mine are twice as important and ten random people's convenience is ten times as important than yours. Courtesy is about thinking of others and sometimes even about the common good. Just my two cents.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

4. Likes:

Norm Chortleton (05-24-2013)

How on earth did the notion of showing some common courtesy to others in a public place get twisted into "You're not more important than me, and yeah, some posters need to remember that they're not more important than others too!!"

Such is RZ today.

6. Likes:

Fil3232 (05-24-2013), FlightRick (05-25-2013), HeatherC1212 (05-24-2013), Norm Chortleton (05-24-2013)

I don't think it has anything to do with anyone feeling more important than you, Doug. It has to do with the common courtesy of respecting those that are sitting around you who are trying to watch the game when it is in progress. Everyone understands an emergency, but it is quite rude when people are up and down, going in and out the entire game when the game is being played. I think it used to be understood, that you waited until the inning was over to get up and go out. People don't have that courtesy these days. My parents would always make me wait until the inning was over, or during a timeout in football or basketball. It's just common courtesy and the world, overall, could use a lot more of it these days.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

8. Likes:

KYRedLeg (05-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    You know, I never thought of it that way doug- you're right- how rude of me to want to watch the baseball game while I'm at the baseball game!

I'm not even considering the rights of others, since they paid just as much as I did, to cavort up and down the aisle, anytime they want, paying no attention to anything at all, other than what they're going to eat next. How obtuse I am!!

Really, doug, I understand that you are just playing a game here.
    I am not really playing a game here. You never know what is going on with someone. When you look at me, you see a normal looking guy (ok, maybe a bit weird looking, but normal). But do you know what my medical problems are? You probably don't unless you are one of three friends or a family member, because I don't put them out there. But they certainly exist and require special needs at times. But you can't see that by looking at me. And they inconvenience me every day of my life. They have ruined big moments in my life and led to me missing out on some other really cool things. When people get bent out of shape because someone needs to leave their seat and they have to stand up to let them by, it really bothers me because they don't have a clue as to why I had to get up and leave my seat. They don't know what is going on. Maybe I did just want to go visit the team shop. But maybe there is something else going on that requires immediate attention that I can't just handle in my seat without being a true distraction to the people around me. But they aren't thinking about that. That are concerned about having to stand up and maybe missing half a second of the game as I pass in front of them. People need to get over themselves. It is a baseball game that you might miss a second of, not the birth of your children.

The average game time of mlb games is a little under 3 hours. That puts the average half inning at 10 minutes. And game action is less because that time includes taking/exiting the field, pitchers warming up, etc. How many normal adults can't wait 10 minutes to get to the restroom? I understand kids need to go right then; but it usually isn't kids who go back and forth constantly at games. It is inconsiderate adults.

11. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (05-24-2013), Joseph (05-25-2013)

"Consider the rights of others before your own feelings, and the feelings of others before your own rights." - John Wooden

This cuts both ways, but sure is good advice.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Whatever happened to Bat Day? I remember going with my brother and each of us getting a little league sized Red bat. I still have them, and back when I was a kid, we used them to play games in our backyard.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Okay, back to what's important...

So far, we've got Dress Like a Mennonite Day and what else?

15. Likes:

757690 (05-24-2013), Fil3232 (05-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Whatever happened to Bat Day? I remember going with my brother and each of us getting a little league sized Red bat. I still have them, and back when I was a kid, we used them to play games in our backyard.
    Yeah, I have a green George Foster one and a red Johnny Bench one. We used them with bouncy balls and played home run derby on the tennis courts at the park.

If you have to go, or your kids have to go, it has nothing to do with "courtesy". It's the same now as when my dad took me to games at Crosley and Riverfront. Anyone who thinks otherwise is clueless. Or just a jerk.

I remember my son's first UK football game (Tim Couch's last home game). It was a chilly November afternoon, but it quickly got windier and colder after the game started. We apparently didn't dress warm enough and he spilled a soda on himself. Everyone around us offered towels and blankets for the rest of the game. They treated him as if he was their own and I'll never forget it. So what if they missed a play or two? It was fans who were good people too. There are people in this thread who obviously can't relate to that.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

I had one of those, a Joe Morgan model, and I went out and used it as a teenager one day. It lasted for one swing.

They don't let fans keep bats that land in the stands. The usher comes down and they take it and the fan can get it back after the game. So they aren't going to hand them out at the game and let fans have them during the game. Be it a safety reason or something else, we aren't going to see those days again.

I had one of those, a Joe Morgan model, and I went out and used it as a teenager one day. It lasted for one swing.

They don't let fans keep bats that land in the stands. The usher comes down and they take it and the fan can get it back after the game. So they aren't going to hand them out at the game and let fans have them during the game. Be it a safety reason or something else, we aren't going to see those days again.
    Yeah, we were afraid to use them in real games, exactly for that reason. Sorry about yours

As for safety, I don't see the problem. I mean, everyone has a bat, so it'll be a fair fight
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    If you have to go, or your kids have to go, it has nothing to do with "courtesy". It's the same now as when my dad took me to games at Crosley and Riverfront. Anyone who thinks otherwise is clueless. Or just a jerk.

I remember my son's first UK football game (Tim Couch's last home game). It was a chilly November afternoon, but it quickly got windier and colder after the game started. We apparently didn't dress warm enough and he spilled a soda on himself. Everyone around us offered towels and blankets for the rest of the game. They treated him as if he was their own and I'll never forget it. So what if they missed a play or two? It was fans who were good people too. There are people in this thread who obviously can't relate to that.
    Oh give me a break, this place has lost it's sense of humor.

And taken to name calling as well.

As for safety, I don't see the problem. I mean, everyone has a bat, so it'll be a fair fight

Turn Off Ads?