Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Cardinal Blueprint

Worth The Wait

Re: The Cardinal Blueprint

The SI cover this week made me want to vomit. Looked like they were prepping for an Eddie Bauer catalogue photo shoot.

2. Likes:

Gunner44 (05-25-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Shana, they bought their tickets. They knew what they were getting into when they opened the thread. I say, let 'em crash!

We can share the women, we can share the wine.

when a Reds fan posts an article inre the Cards I am all for Cards members posting their corrective commebts/ideas. Doesn't bother me...in fact the oppo view is refreshing and lively. Cards fans starting Cardinal specific threads I don't like so much.

6. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-25-2013),919191 (05-26-2013),Number_Fourteen (05-26-2013)

4 playoff appearances in 34 years, last pennant and World Series in 1990 (no pennants since).

Hit it, Ed.
    Classless.

8. Likes:

919191 (05-26-2013),bigredmechanism (05-25-2013)

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    When you have the classiest fans in sports, you can't help but honor that relationship by winning.
    Funny because the only place I've ever been really bothered at a baseball game was at old Busch Stadium. I'm not naive enough to take one or two experiences and paint a broad brush of an entire fanbase and there is no doubt that Cardinal fans are supportive and love their team. But I've been to NFL games in Philly (even at the old Vet), Dallas, New York, etc wearing Redskins gear and I've never had as many issues with jackass fans as I did for a series in St. Louis in the early 2000's. Guy behind me was heckling to an annoying degree and would lean over to where he was inches away from me. My wife was ticked and it really affected her experience.

All fanbases have idiot fans.... Just want to point out that St. Louis is no exception.

Since 2000, the Cards have only had 1 losing season. They are not only the creme of the Central, they have been among the most successful franchises in the national league and mlb.

There. Someone said it. There should be no further need for Cardinals fans to discuss their recent success in great detail in the ORG. Perhaps this thread could be moved to the Tavern subforum if there isn't going to be a meaningful tie in to the Reds.

Otherwise this thread probably isn't going to be unlocked for very long.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

11. Likes:

mdccclxix (05-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofStLouis View Post

Shana, they bought their tickets. They knew what they were getting into when they opened the thread. I say, let 'em crash!

Do you want to discuss baseball or is this about beating your chest because you've identified yourself with the success of others achieved through no accomplishment or contribution of your own?

Just some friendly advice:

The ORG is a baseball discussion board that uses a Redscentric prism to discuss baseball-related stuff. It has a well-earned reputation for being one of the best sites on the internet for compelling, high quality baseball discussion that serves fans across the full gamut of baseball interests (stat-head to traditionalist to every other permutation). There is room for talking about all things baseball but the level of discourse is expected to be high quality. That means the content contributed is expected to be interesting and capable of stimulating fun discussion that in the best case scenario stimulates new insight, and in all cases respects board rules. Though not an absolute requirement, since this is Redszone, there is also an expectation that threads will in some way speak to things of interest to the Reds baseball team. So a Cards Kum Ba Ya thread really doesn't conform to the spirit of this community.

The fact that others open a thread does not absolve the OP of their obligations to meet these standards.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

13. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-25-2013),Bob Borkowski (05-25-2013),elfmanvt07 (05-25-2013),jhiller21 (05-25-2013),jwdoc77 (05-25-2013),mdccclxix (05-26-2013),Number_Fourteen (05-26-2013),remdog (05-25-2013),TheBigLebowski (05-25-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (05-25-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

MikeThierry, MattyMo...these 2 guys I have zero problems with. They're intelligent BASEBALL fans. Yes, their favorite team is the cards...but they're baseball fans first and foremost. They do their best to remain unbiased and open to both sides of an argument. They've also posted with dignity and respect towards others and with full awareness that they're on "enemy" territory.

This new St.Louis fan however...not so much. This one is enjoying working up a frenzy, antagonizing others and basically being obnoxious. Stepping back and realizing where you are and who you are is a big step towards fitting in with others. Otherwise, I fear your stay here will be very short-lived.

15. Likes:

Beltway (05-25-2013),bigredmechanism (05-25-2013),HeatherC1212 (05-26-2013)

I know exactly what they're doing.

4 playoff appearances in 34 years, last pennant and World Series in 1990 (no pennants since).

Hit it, Ed.

Heyoooo !

By posting this thread, you gave many people questions as to whether you were just trying to troll. Now you've confirmed it with this response.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

17. Likes:

remdog (05-25-2013),TheBigLebowski (05-25-2013)

We talk about the Cards enough in other threads that are supposed to be about the Reds. Perhaps we should avoid giving them their own threads, too.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

19. Likes:

remdog (05-25-2013)

Where's a good RedTruck thread when we need one?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

21. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-25-2013)

Despite the fact that you have violated board rules to not post articles in total (just the link is fine) try to remember that this board is 'For Reds Fans, by Reds fans'.

So, I take it that by posting here you are a closet Reds fan. Welcome aboard!

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Good article. There's a lot of truth in it. While we Reds fans can be jealous, it's hard not to admire what the Cardinals have done. At the same time, Cards fans should acknowledge that they owe a debt of gratitude to Mr. Jocketty (who hired LaRussa/Duncan, etc., etc.).
    #elephantinthelivingroomwarning

Small detail to the success and luck of the organization.....the team payroll has averaged 91.15M since 2001, while the Rojos have averaged 64M. Having a payroll that on average is 42% really makes baseball a little easier.

The Reds payroll this year is 83M.....same as the Cardinals, in 2003!

If I was SI....I might be writing an article about the Reds blueprint wondering how they had such glowing success over the last 3.5 years.....as they've won 297 games to the Cards 295....yet done it by spending 105 MILLION dollars less than the Cardinals over that time.

Oh, and did I mention 2 division titles as well.

The Cards have been able to tremendously overpay over the years....and rode a horse through playoffs in pitching. There is your blueprint.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

24. Likes:

Brutus (05-25-2013),Gunner44 (05-25-2013),HeatherC1212 (05-26-2013),Number_Fourteen (05-26-2013),remdog (05-25-2013),Screwball (05-28-2013),smixsell (05-25-2013),Tony Cloninger (05-25-2013)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcbuckeye22 View Post
    Best thing Cardinal Nation has done was let Albert walk.

They didn't actually let him walk, they offered him lots of long term money. He just chose a better deal.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I know exactly what they're doing.

Hit it, Ed.

Heyoooo !

Posting this on a Reds Board is likely not your most intelligent moment.

27. Likes:

bigredmechanism (05-25-2013),TheBigLebowski (05-25-2013)

Turn Off Ads?