Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ludwick out until at least mid-August

Re: Ludwick out until at least mid-August

I guess the lost decade has jaded me, but I fear this will cause the team to pass on finding a productive bat only to see Ludwick have a setback after the deadline. Get a RH bat that can play a little defense and let him play CF against LHP, fill in for Ludwick a couple days per week (he needed frequent rest even before the injury) and let him spot for Bruce when he goes into a cold spell. Robinson could go south at any time, Paul already has cooled and who knows what to expect from Heisey. Ludwick's status shouldn't stop the Reds from pursuit of a rental bat, but may make it necessary that its a guy who can play all three OF spots.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Likes:

joshua (07-07-2013),marcshoe (07-05-2013),remdog (07-04-2013),Tony Cloninger (07-06-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    That's what we've been waiting to hear.

Such a shame we have only gotten to see Choo-BP-Votto-Ludwick-Bruce 2 times this year.

Give me an 85-90 percent Ludwick in Sept/Oct and I'll be happy.
    Two times? Ludwick has played only one game this season.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Two times? Ludwick has played only one game this season.
    Two times through the order.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

If the Reds could have Ludwick back by August 26th near 100%, the Reds could really use his bat for the beginning of a three game series in St. Louis. After that series, the Reds have an off day and then head to Colorado for three before coming home for four against the Cardinals.

While the above is wishful thinking, I do agree with mth that the Reds should look at adding a bat (if the price is right) before the deadline. A corner outfield bat and a bullpen arm (or two) is at the top of my trade deadline wishlist. If a starter could be had at Feldman-like prices, I wouldn't mind the Reds making that kind of move either.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I guess the lost decade has jaded me, but I fear this will cause the team to pass on finding a productive bat only to see Ludwick have a setback after the deadline. Get a RH bat that can play a little defense and let him play CF against LHP, fill in for Ludwick a couple days per week (he needed frequent rest even before the injury) and let him spot for Bruce when he goes into a cold spell. Robinson could go south at any time, Paul already has cooled and who knows what to expect from Heisey. Ludwick's status shouldn't stop the Reds from pursuit of a rental bat, but may make it necessary that its a guy who can play all three OF spots.
    It's such a tough call. Ideally you don't have to lean on Ludwick, but this team has other places that could use upgrades as well. Robinson has already fallen off a cliff, but while Paul has also fallen off a cliff (.652 OPS in June), he's still getting on base at a decent cliff. With the indications that Ludwick is ahead of schedule, I think they're going to leave LF as it is. Maybe they target an Aramis Ramirez type which would allow Frazier to be used in LF if needed, but I just don't see them getting a real upgrade in LF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I'd love for them to get a Aoki or DeJesus type bat at the deadline (at minimum)

Some guy that would be insurance if Ludwick doesn't come back, but who would also be useful as a DH/bench bat.
    Now that Heisey is back, we really don't need Robinson as the backup CF.

Not to derail the thread, but it was said somewhere about a week ago that Walt said he was looking for pitching due to Cueto's injury. Makes sense, because that lets Cingrani slide back into the pen. I do kind of fear that this lat injury to Cueto is pretty serious.. He's had lots of time to rest, and it's not getting better.
    The point is, Walt may be more focused on getting a SP than a LF at this point.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post

Full agreement. Not that it would be easy to get a RF. Even Rios from Chicago....unless they are just selling to just sell. I do not think, just if I was a Yankee fan.....I would not think A-Rod or Jeter would give me much other than a presence.... that Ludwick will be able to do what they need him to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Full agreement. Not that it would be easy to get a RF. Even Rios from Chicago....unless they are just selling to just sell. I do not think, just if I was a Yankee fan.....I would not think A-Rod or Jeter would give me much other than a presence.... that Ludwick will be able to do what they need him to do.
    Probably needs to be more of a role player who has decent splits against LHP and can play defense. The Reds really don't have much to deal to get a big name. Shouldn't be hard to upgrade from Robinson and Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Maybe they target an Aramis Ramirez type which would allow Frazier to be used in LF if needed, but I just don't see them getting a real upgrade in LF.
    I was thinking along the same line, however Brewers may not deal to a division rival. Would like to see them go after Will Middlebrooks since he was just demoted, but Boston may not want to deal him since his value is probably at an all time low. However, Red Sox do have 2 other highly rated third base prospects that could be in the majors soon, so they might be willing to deal. Do the Reds have any chips left that they'd be willing to move? A 24 year old, RH third baseman with power could potentially be a great fit in GABP. Then, move Frazier to LF.

I don't Middlebrooks is the player I would be targeting for this team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

If we're talking low-cost role player type, Rajai Davis in Toronto has an 880 OPS against LH pitching so far this season (in very limited PAs, though) and 776 OPS against lefties for his career. Also can play all three outfield positions. FA after this year.

14. Likes:

toledodan (07-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    If we're talking low-cost role player type, Rajai Davis in Toronto has an 880 OPS against LH pitching so far this season (in very limited PAs, though) and 776 OPS against lefties for his career. Also can play all three outfield positions. FA after this year.
    He's actually a realistic target I hadn't considered. What would it take to get him?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

16. Likes:

toledodan (07-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    He's actually a realistic target I hadn't considered. What would it take to get him?
    I haven't got any clue, but they are 10 games adrift in a terrifying division and have Melky/Bautista/Rasmus in the OF, so he would seem surplus to requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon7 View Post
    This is only the 2nd year of that 12 year $250 million contract.
    You really think he will beat father time and and still be a great hitter the last 6 years of his contract?
    Votto's contract is a pair of cement shoes. Starting in 2018, when Votto will be 34, the Reds owe him 25 million per, for 6 years. Then an option year.

Good luck with that.
    We can share the women, we can share the wine.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofStLouis View Post
    Votto's contract is a pair of cement shoes. Starting in 2018, when Votto will be 34, the Reds owe him 25 million per, for 6 years. Then an option year.

Good luck with that.
    Sure glad we have Cardinals fans here on Redszone.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

20. Likes:

bigredmechanism (07-21-2013),westofyou (07-09-2013)

Turn Off Ads?