Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ludwick out until at least mid-August

Re: Ludwick out until at least mid-August

Somebody mentioned Michael Young (maybe earlier in this thread or another thread). I like the idea. Free agent to be on a fading team. Young at 3B with Frazier free to move to LF wouldn't be so bad. Young would be a good fit in the 2 hole as well. Phils need reinforcements. H-Rod/Corcino with Philly covering some money sounds fair for a two month rental.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-26-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Somebody mentioned Michael Young (maybe earlier in this thread or another thread). I like the idea. Free agent to be on a fading team. Young at 3B with Frazier free to move to LF wouldn't be so bad. Young would be a good fit in the 2 hole as well. Phils need reinforcements. H-Rod/Corcino with Philly covering some money sounds fair for a two month rental.
    You mean the guy with a sub-.700 OPS over the last two seasons? The one that is making $16 million this season? No thanks.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    You mean the guy with a sub-.700 OPS over the last two seasons? The one that is making $16 million this season? No thanks.
    No, I mean the one with the .367 OBP with the expiring contract that Philly would pay. If the Reds would have to pay over a couple Million the rest of the year, I'd look elsewhere.

I just don't see the Reds having what it takes to get some one signed past 2013. Rios, Stanton, Bautista etc would create bigger problems with their acquisiion cost than the problem the Reds would be addressing.
    Last edited by mth123; 05-26-2013 at 03:10 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

6. Likes:

wheels (05-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    $10M is nothing on the free agent market. Absolutely nothing. Ryan Ludwick was coming off of a season where he had an OPS over .875. On a production basis, Ludwick was underpaid for the contract he signed.
    I of course hope you are right.

I just remember a few days in the past where we didn't do what needed to be done over a few mill.

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    This whole Ludwick thing has stunk from the beginning. Overall, Walt is great. But sometimes his love for certain guys can cloud the big picture. I am not nor have I ever been a fan of Ryan. To me he is the epitome of what is wrong with baseball. Makes too much money for what he is.

Now the Reds are strapped with him this year and next. He will add nothing to the team this year. All based on an inability to slide from a veteran player? Yes things happen. But when you are a small market club you have to reduce as many "things" as possible to be able to compete with the big boys.

If we are going to make it to the next round of the playoffs, we need a #2 hitter/LF'er. BP deserves to stay in the 4 hole. Stats show it his best place in the lineup. And he delivers.

So let's hope Walt can correct his "mistake" of signing RL for two years and find a guy who can fill this glaring whole when playoff time comes around.

How soon people forget. Ludwick carried us on his back last year when Votto got hurt. Then he had a supurb post season. It was a pleasure watching him play.

9. Likes:

Redeyecat (05-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    How soon people forget. Ludwick carried us on his back last year when Votto got hurt. Then he had a supurb post season. It was a pleasure watching him play.
    I was as pleased as anyone with Ludwick's play last year, but this is the second time in a few days that I've seen this exact sentiment expressed here. Has everyone forgotten how the entire team stepped up during that stretch. If memory serves me, Bruce and Frazier both caught fire and Rolen had his most productive stretch of the entire season.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    I know there were some hopeful of a return by Ryan around the All Star break. Looks like that isn't going to happen.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...T04/305250131/

My guess is he doesn't play this year, but we'll see. Paul has been good out there, but left field is certainly a position I could see Walt improving.
    I hate to say I told ya so, but.........

I had that surgery done back in 2009. I guess there are different levels of the injury, but based on what I went through, I didn't see him coming back until September. And when you consider it takes awhile for some guys to find their swing and get their hitting timing down, I didn't expect him to be much help anyway.

I'm hoping Walt can get a Bautista or someone else. And even if we get a bopper, I'd still like to see BP bat cleanup. He is getting it done, I hate to change anything while he's doing so well. I think he deserves to be rewarded with staying 4th in the order for how well he is doing. Definitely has been clutch. He's on pace for 150 rbi's right now, roughly.

I'd bat Bautista second if we obtained him. He has a high OBP.

The 2 Reds targets should be:

Josh Willingham and Mike Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by Red Swagger View Post
    The 2 Reds targets should be:

Josh Willingham and Mike Dunn
    Willingham makes $7M this year and in 2014, then he's a FA. It would make sense if the Reds could afford to pay both Willingham and Ludwick in 2014.

Dunn (lefty) would be a nice acquisition considering Marshall's health problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    My biggest worry is that Baker moves Phillips out of the clean up spot when Ludwick comes back. I think Robinson and company are doing a fine job in LF anyway
    NO

LF'ers on the reds this season

.233 AVG
    .317 OBP
    .328 SLG
    .645 OPS

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    NO

.233 AVG
    .317 OBP
    .328 SLG
    .645 OPS
    Paul is.....

.259 AVG
    .381 OBP
    .383 SLG
    .764 OPS

He's been the best of the group.

Definitely need an upgrade over Lutz/Robinson.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Paul is.....

.259 AVG
    .381 OBP
    .383 SLG
    .764 OPS

He's been the best of the group.

Definitely need an upgrade over Lutz/Robinson.
    There's your #2 hitter (at least in the short term). The Reds just need a RH hitter to platoon with him in LF.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    NO

.233 AVG
    .317 OBP
    .328 SLG
    .645 OPS
    Take out Heisey, who hopefully won't be starting much whenever he gets healthy, and those numbers are much better.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I guess Walt was a bozo for signing Votto to his big lt contract since he wrenched his knee sliding. Getting injured playing the game has nothing to do with experience.
    This is only the 2nd year of that 12 year $250 million contract.
    You really think he will beat father time and and still be a great hitter the last 6 years of his contract?

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon7 View Post
    This is only the 2nd year of that 12 year $250 million contract.
    You really think he will beat father time and and still be a great hitter the last 6 years of his contract?
    Depends on your definition of "great".

Of course his numbers will decline the last few years of his contract, but why would you think he wouldn't still be a great hitter?

Turn Off Ads?