Re: When Will Shin Soo Choo Start Hitting

Didn't think this was worth starting a new thread, but this is pretty neat:

NL OBP

1. Joey Votto (.477)
    2. Shin-Soo Choo (.450)
    3. Paul Goldschmidt (.407)
    4. Buster Posey (.400)
    5. Ryan Braun (.397)

That's a pretty commanding lead by Votto & Choo.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

trade choo

trade choo

Quote Originally Posted by osuredleg24 View Post
    trade choo
    Thanks for the enlightening contribution to the discussion!
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Joey is a foreigner. Stop the puns. Ban all the Vottomatic accounts and references, t-shirts, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    Joey is a foreigner. Stop the puns. Ban all the Vottomatic accounts and references, t-shirts, etc.
    He's...Hot Blooded! Check it and see....

Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

8. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-29-2013),dubc47834 (05-29-2013),RedEye (05-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    He's...Hot Blooded! Check it and see....

At least he's not As Cold As Ice.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

10. Likes:

Big Klu (05-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    Good grief. I give up.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Good grief. I give up.
    I've never heard of that Foreigner song.

13. Likes:

Big Klu (05-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    That was the short time Charlie Brown was Foreigner's lead singer. It was an obvious failure.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

15. Likes:

Brisco (05-29-2013),RedEye (05-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post

"Head games... that's all I get from you. Head games... And I can't take it any more."

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Good grief. I give up.
    Red eye, read all your posts on the subject. I can see your point on comments about kimchi... That s racially insensitive since the term is often intentionally used to be derogatory about Korea or Koreans.

Puns and play on words of he last name "Choo"? Not seeing it. Nothing about the name "Choo" screams Korean any more at Votto screams Canadian.
    The puns have absolutely nothing to do with his culture or ethnicity.

The mst important question to ask... Do you really think the puns would not occur is Choo was a white boy from Nebraska? (This is America where any last name is possible). I think they would still be present and frequent.

The joke is a play on words about the name and carries no more negative connotation than "Spahn and Sain and pray for rain".

Some players have such boring names that they need nicknames... Others have names colorful enough that they can stand on their own. Choo is one of the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco View Post
    Red eye, read all your posts on the subject. I can see your point on comments about kimchi... That s racially insensitive since the term is often intentionally used to be derogatory about Korea or Koreans.

Puns and play on words of he last name "Choo"? Not seeing it. Nothing about the name "Choo" screams Korean any more at Votto screams Canadian.

The mst important question to ask... Do you really think the puns would not occur is Choo was a white boy from Nebraska? (This is America where any last name is possible). I think they would still be present and frequent.

The joke is a play on words about the name and carries no more negative connotation than "Spahn and Sain and pray for rain".

Some players have such boring names that they need nicknames... Others have names colorful enough that they can stand on their own. Choo is one of the latter.
    Thanks for taking the time to do that. This has been a rather epic thread for me -- maybe because I am a sensitive ginger.

I see your point about his name, and I don't think most of the puns using it are meant to be insulting. I guess I am just wary of the fine line between this sort of thing and the "Ching chong" humor that repeatedly raises its ugly head in mainstream media, even today, when Asians are discussed (Jay Leno, Rosie O'Donnell, etc.) As the Jeremy Lin thing showed last year, racism against Asians is alive and well in US culture, and often flies under the radar.

Do you really think the puns would not occur if Choo was a white boy from Nebraska?
    As a white boy from Nebraska, let me just say...wait, what are we talking about?

20. Likes:

remdog (06-08-2013),smixsell (07-04-2013)

Except Choo's name doesn't exist in a vacuum. He's not a white boy from Nebraska in need of a nickname, he's one of the few Korean baseball players in an American sports league. His name and its pronunciation carries that heritage with it.

Turn Off Ads?