Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324 LastLast

Thread: 5/27/2013 Reds v. Indians in the Battle for Ohio

Re: 5/27/2013 Reds v. Indians in the Battle for Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    Have you read Grisham's baseball novel Calico Joe? Not to spoil it, but one of the main characters is a real jerk baseball player on the field and off. We root for the team has fans. Some fans approve of the players collectively no matter what they do. (Pete rose) Others choose to root harder for the individual players they deem worthy of their unequivocal admiration. (heathers love for Votto) Certainly there are many ways to love the Reds, but I for one root for the team to succeed. I could care-less how winning is accomplished so long as their not cheating the written rules. I want Stubbs, Wood and Alonzo to fail against the Reds every time and I also welcomed Jim Edmonds with welcome arms. Just my two cents on an off day
    I just read 'Calico Joe' last week.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Vander View Post
    To anyone saying that they condone what Chapman did, let me ask you this one question: What would you be saying if it had been Chris Carpenter throwing at Votto's head? Would it still be alright with you?
    I didn't think it was right, but if Votto stared him down, you can damn well bet I would say the same thing. Not the right thing to do, but if you stare down a pitcher don't be surprised when the next pitch is at your head.

Bush league and dangerous if he was going for the head.

I just haven't seen much accuracy out of Chapman of late. If all it takes is for a batter to stare down Chapman, for Chapman to suddenly have great accuracy, then maybe Hannigan needs to paint a batter's face on the inside of his catcher's mitt, with the batter staring him down, eyes in the center of his mitt.

Chapman is seemingly very immature. Certainly not my favorite Red, but I just don't see the accuracy with which he is being accused.
    Last edited by RedsfaninMT; 05-27-2013 at 07:37 PM. Reason: crappy grammar

Chapman isn't accurate. Didn't we all see that this 9th? I think he was bringing it close, and almost took Swisher's melon off. I'm sure Dusty will handle this issue.

I like Swisher, however the stare wasn't necessary. That first pitch was way outta the way. They hit Votto or BP tomorrow the Indians are stirring the pot. I saw a lot of Indians acting foolish when Chappy mowed them down. No wonder the UMP didn't warn Chappy.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vander View Post
    To anyone saying that they condone what Chapman did, let me ask you this one question: What would you be saying if it had been Chris Carpenter throwing at Votto's head? Would it still be alright with you?
    If Votto had done what Swisher did on the previous pitch, let the chips fall where they may. Many in this discussion seem to be forgetting that the whole affair was initiated by Swisher's tough-guy posturing on an accidental pitch.

Again, not condoning anyone throw at someone's head, but I don't believe for a second Chapman intended to be up that far. I think he just wanted to put him on his backside.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    If Votto had done what Swisher did on the previous pitch, let the chips fall where they may. Many in this discussion seem to be forgetting that the whole affair was initiated by Swisher's tough-guy posturing on an accidental pitch.

Again, not condoning anyone throw at someone's head, but I don't believe for a second Chapman intended to be up that far. I think he just wanted to put him on his backside.
    This is a narrative that fits a fan's false bravado but the reality is that Swisher did nothing that mandated having his noggin targeted.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

8. Likes:

CySeymour (05-27-2013),texasdave (05-28-2013)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    This is a narrative that fits a fan's false bravado but the reality is that Swisher did nothing that mandated having his noggin targeted.
    Nothing false about it. I've been out there and competed. Not at that level, but against plenty of guys like Swisher. What he did is frowned upon universally. He challenged Chapman after what was clearly a pitch that just got away.

I will reiterate, though, that I do not condone anyone throwing at a guy's head. He deserved one in the ribcage instead.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Nothing false about it. I've been out there and competed. Not at that level, but against plenty of guys like Swisher. What he did is frowned upon universally. He challenged Chapman after what was clearly a pitch that just got away.

I will reiterate, though, that I do not condone anyone throwing at a guy's head. He deserved one in the ribcage instead.
    Shenanigans. Throwing at a guy deserves a suspension. Why? Because there is never a case where throwing at a guy is called for.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

11. Likes:

texasdave (05-28-2013)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

How do you know that he targeting his head? Do you have inside info? Just guessing probably, and if that's the case, you're just making yourself look like a ........

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Shenanigans. Throwing at a guy deserves a suspension. Why? Because there is never a case where throwing at a guy is called for.
    Baseball has been played this way for over a 100 years, will be for another 100+.

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    How do you know that he targeting his head? Do you have inside info? Just guessing probably, and if that's the case, you're just making yourself look like a ........
    Yes. He texted me before the pitch....

If you had actually read the thread for content, you'd see that I don't think he purposefully threw at Swisher. I'm arguing against this false bravado that Swisher deserved it and somehow Chapman wouldve been within his right.

Shenanigans and double shenanigans to the notion that it's being a "........" to point out that its bush league BS to throw at a hitter.

15. Likes:

texasdave (05-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Baseball has been played this way for over a 100 years, will be for another 100+.
    Shenanigans.

If Chapman wanted to hit Swisher, he would have. It's not tough to do, you simply throw at his behind, and the hitter will almost always back into it. No way Chapman wanted to hit Swisher.

There's a big difference between trying to hit a guy and throwing a purpose pitch, which is what Chapman's second pitch seemed to be. I do think Chapman needs to be careful with his purpose pitches, as his latest case exemplifies. But if a guy is crowding the plate, I hope Chapman pushes him off of it.

I also think it's stupid to throw at a guy who stares you down. Your best move is to strike him out. If Chapman threw him a slider right there, Swisher would have screwed himself into the ground swinging and missing.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I didn't like what I seen from Chapman at all.That was uncalled for and bush league.Swisher should have charged the mound b/c he could have gotten seriously hurt.This opened the door for the Indians to throw at one of our players.Whoever gets hit and they will and if they have to go on the DL b/c of a broken bone then its all Chapmans fault. Grow up Chapman!!!
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Congratulations to Joey Votto, who has passed Jay Bruce for 17th place on the Reds' all-time home run list!

Updated Reds HR list (players in italics are active):

Reds 100-Home Run Club
    1. Johnny Bench - 389
    2. Frank Robinson - 324
    3. Tony Perez - 287
    4. Adam Dunn - 270
    5. Ted Kluszewski - 251
    6. George Foster - 244
    7. Ken Griffey, Jr. - 210
    8. Eric Davis - 203
    9. Barry Larkin - 198
    10. Vada Pinson - 186
    11. Wally Post - 172
    12. Gus Bell - 160
    13. Joe Morgan - 152
    13. Pete Rose - 152
    15. Brandon Phillips - 150
    16. Lee May - 147
    17. Joey Votto - 142
    18. Jay Bruce - 141
    19. Dan Driessen - 133
    20. Reggie Sanders - 125
    21. Ernie Lombardi - 120
    22. Sean Casey - 118
    23. Frank McCormick - 110
    24. Dave Parker - 107
    25. Chris Sabo - 104
    26. Dave Concepcion - 101
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

20. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (05-28-2013)

Turn Off Ads?