Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324
Results 346 to 359 of 359

Thread: 5/27/2013 Reds v. Indians in the Battle for Ohio

  1. #346
    5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South of Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,216

    Re: 5/27/2013 Reds v. Indians in the Battle for Ohio

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Shenanigans. Throwing at a guy deserves a suspension. Why? Because there is never a case where throwing at a guy is called for.
    Your opinion. (And not one shared by most guys who have won at a high level.)
    Rounding third and heading for home...

  2. Likes:

    Norm Chortleton (05-28-2013), TSJ55 (05-28-2013)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #347
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    913

    Re: 5/27/2013 Reds v. Indians in the Battle for Ohio

    When you try to show up a pitcher don't be surprised when he drills you. It has been that way for a very long time, and actually has lessened recently with so many players on opposing teams being friends with one another. It used to be the way the game was played, and for some still is.

    I don't agree with headhunting (if that is what Chapman was indeed doing), yet I knew as soon as Swisher stared down Chapman he was going to get the next one nice and tight. I also knew DeJesus was going to get buzzed by Cueto. It was clear Cueto was tired of his constant delays in the batting box in DeJesus's first at bat.

    There are still managers that believe in policing the game within itself, and Dusty is one of them.

  5. #348
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    19,088

    Re: 5/27/2013 Reds v. Indians in the Battle for Ohio

    Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Your opinion. (And not one shared by most guys who have won at a high level.)
    False fan bluster (and no one who has won at a high level is fine with a pitcher trying to bean a hitter....do it and get thrown out of he game....do it and it might start a brawl).
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  6. #349
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,678

    Re: 5/27/2013 Reds v. Indians in the Battle for Ohio

    The thing I'm trying to figure out is why everyone is so outraged because of Chapman's velocity. Any ML pitcher with a 90+ fastball aimed at someone's head is going to do a great deal of damage. He has every right to come up and in as any other pitcher. He doesn't get to avoid the inside of the plate because he might get too tight and hurt someone.

    BTW, I do not think Chapman was throwing at his head. I don't know if he was wanting to come inside, which he is allowed to do and it sailed, but with his control always pitch by pitch, it is hard for me to tell. I would guess if he aimed at his head, it probably would have been down the middle of the plate. It is just as hard for anyone claiming to know what he was trying or not trying to do to support their argument.

    Also, Dusty had his back in the postgame and made light of it, which I tend to agree with his lighthearted reasoning.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  7. #350
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    19,088

    Re: 5/27/2013 Reds v. Indians in the Battle for Ohio

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    The thing I'm trying to figure out is why everyone is so outraged because of Chapman's velocity. Any ML pitcher with a 90+ fastball aimed at someone's head is going to do a great deal of damage. He has every right to come up and in as any other pitcher. He doesn't get to avoid the inside of the plate because he might get too tight and hurt someone.

    BTW, I do not think Chapman was throwing at his head. I don't know if he was wanting to come inside, which he is allowed to do and it sailed, but with his control always pitch by pitch, it is hard for me to tell. I would guess if he aimed at his head, it probably would have been down the middle of the plate. It is just as hard for anyone claiming to know what he was trying or not trying to do to support their argument.

    Also, Dusty had his back in the postgame and made light of it, which I tend to agree with his lighthearted reasoning.
    Has anyone argued that Chapman is not allowed to pitch to the inside of the plate?
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  8. #351
    Pimpin...literally!!! dubc47834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Terre Haute, In
    Posts
    1,493

    Re: 5/27/2013 Reds v. Indians in the Battle for Ohio

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    False fan bluster (and no one who has won at a high level is fine with a pitcher trying to bean a hitter....do it and get thrown out of he game....do it and it might start a brawl).
    Watch today's game and you will probly see how fine everyone on Cleveland's side is with it, then the Reds side will be fine with it next...LOL

  9. #352
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,678

    Re: 5/27/2013 Reds v. Indians in the Battle for Ohio

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Has anyone argued that Chapman is not allowed to pitch to the inside of the plate?
    Notice I specified "up and in," which is quite a bit different than "inside of the plate," wouldn't you say? That is exactly what the entire argument is about, especially since it is anyone's guess with the actual intent. It isn't like the only two options are "throwing at head" and "not throwing at head."

    Feel free to address what I actually was saying rather than attempting to be arrogantly dismissive.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  10. #353
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    19,088

    Re: 5/27/2013 Reds v. Indians in the Battle for Ohio

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Notice I specified "up and in," which is quite a bit different than "inside of the plate," wouldn't you say? That is exactly what the entire argument is about, especially since it is anyone's guess with the actual intent. It isn't like the only two options are "throwing at head" and "not throwing at head."

    Feel free to address what I actually was saying rather than attempting to be arrogantly dismissive.
    He can throw anywhere he wants legitimately as long as it's not at a guy. If your definition of "up and in" is at a guys head (the actual argument being had), then no he can't throw there. Feel free to clarify your meaning instead of spouting metacommentary. Are you addressing the actual argument or are you adding another dimension?
    Last edited by jojo; 05-28-2013 at 10:56 AM.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  11. #354
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,678

    Re: 5/27/2013 Reds v. Indians in the Battle for Ohio

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    He can throw anywhere he wants legitimately as long as it's not at a guy. If your definition of "up and in" is at a guys head (the actual argument being had), then no he can't throw there. Feel free to clarify your meaning instead of spouting metacommentary. Are you addressing the actual argument or are you adding another dimension?
    Pass.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  12. #355
    5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South of Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,216

    Re: 5/27/2013 Reds v. Indians in the Battle for Ohio

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    False fan bluster (and no one who has won at a high level is fine with a pitcher trying to bean a hitter....do it and get thrown out of he game....do it and it might start a brawl).
    None of which happened. More astute commentary on your part.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

  13. #356
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    19,088

    Re: 5/27/2013 Reds v. Indians in the Battle for Ohio

    Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    None of which happened. More astute commentary on your part.
    Chapman didn't throw at anyone. Does flaccid snark go hand in hand with false fan bluster?
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  14. #357
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,572

    Re: 5/27/2013 Reds v. Indians in the Battle for Ohio

    Does the obvious need stated that throwing high doesn't mean someone is going at the head? You can be aiming for the upper torso and accomplish a similar psychological reaction from the hitter to brush someone back... which is, after all, the point of a brushback pitch.

    It's pretty narrow to assume that everytime someone is perceived to be intentionally throwing up and in, they're head-hunting.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  15. Likes:

    BluegrassRedleg (05-30-2013)

  16. #358
    5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South of Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,216

    Re: 5/27/2013 Reds v. Indians in the Battle for Ohio

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Chapman didn't throw at anyone. Does flaccid snark go hand in hand with false fan bluster?
    You pontificated he was trying to bean a batter. You do not possess the aptitude to know that for certain. So, in spite of your bloviating and mastery of the thesaurus, you're still woefully wrong on this one.

    Words are fun.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

  17. #359
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    19,088

    Re: 5/27/2013 Reds v. Indians in the Battle for Ohio

    Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    You pontificated he was trying to bean a batter. You do not possess the aptitude to know that for certain. So, in spite of your bloviating and mastery of the thesaurus, you're still woefully wrong on this one.

    Words are fun.
    Please reread the thread for content. Words ARE fun but reading for comprehension IS funner.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25