Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Votto and the F bomb

Re: Votto and the F bomb

I don't have a problem with it at all, I love his excitement and enthusiasm for the game, he is pissed if he doesn't get a hit every time and I love that, I like seeing players cuss a little ,to me it shows how much he cares and strives to b the best, some players strikeout and just walk back to the dugout like nothing happend, but not votto he wants to b the best and he is the best. So I have no problem with it.

2. Likes:

malcontent (05-27-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

The fact that he's that frustrated is a good thing, you never want to see a player who doesn't care when he screws up. I just think it's a little weird to do in front of kids, and especially to scream it so loud kids at home can hear it on TV.

I play a lot of ping pong and pool with my neighbor, and sometimes his little kids join in. I'm a pretty big F-bomb dropper when I mess up, but in front of kids I manage to restrain myself.

On another note, Ty Cobb must have taught some kids a few words they'd never heard before.

Quote Originally Posted by jhiller21 View Post
    The fact that he's that frustrated is a good thing, you never want to see a player who doesn't care when he screws up. I just think it's a little weird to do in front of kids, and especially to scream it so loud kids at home can hear it on TV.

I play a lot of ping pong and pool with my neighbor, and sometimes his little kids join in. I'm a pretty big F-bomb dropper when I mess up, but in front of kids I manage to restrain myself.

On another note, Ty Cobb must have taught some kids a few words they'd never heard before.
    Ty Cobb may have been one of the best players ever, but at the same time one of the worst human brings ever b

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Ty Cobb may have been one of the best players ever, but at the same time one of the worst human brings ever b
    Not to derail this thread but while Cobb was no angel he was hardly one of the worst human beings ever as you so described. Do some reading on his career and you will see he was incredibly charitable.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

7. Likes:

Number_Fourteen (05-28-2013),redsfanmia (05-27-2013),Revering4Blue (05-28-2013),westofyou (05-27-2013)

This is worthy of a thread?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

9. Likes:

coachpipe (05-28-2013),DocRed (05-27-2013),George Anderson (05-27-2013),westofyou (05-27-2013)

If it was a Cardinal doing it I can only imagine the outrage. LOL

They call me "chef"

Like Louis CK once said, it's not Joey Votto's problem you don't want to have a conversation with your kid for 5 seconds.

If you witness behavior you don't want your kids to emulate, put the bag of Frito's down for a moment and educate your child on the worldview you want them to adopt. It's not the rest of the world's responsibility to be a model for your kids. Use your own words and actions to teach your children, not strangers'.

With that said, I could see how the Reds publicity and marketing department might want Votto to avoid getting a rap as being a potty mouth.

With that said, I echo CySeymour's sentiment above.

12. Likes:

coachpipe (05-28-2013),dwyerbrg (05-28-2013),Joseph (05-27-2013)

I don't get the issue profanity and kids in general.

Adults use it all the time when kids aren't around, and kids use it all the time when adults aren't around.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

14. Likes:

coachpipe (05-28-2013),TSJ55 (05-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Not to derail this thread but while Cobb was no angel he was hardly one of the worst human beings ever as you so described. Do some reading on his career and you will see he was incredibly charitable.
    I've read his biography twice. He wasn't the monster he's made out to be but he was cruel to a lot of people in his life. It was an interesting dichotomy.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    This is worthy of a thread?
    Yes. I've watched baseball for 20+ years now and I've never seen anyone curse the way he has and in the loud way he does with the frequency that he does it. I'm pretty hard to offend, and I get they are grown men and you can parent your children to teach what's appropriate or not, but screaming F*** at the top of your lungs repeatedly adds little to nothing to the game and sets a bad example to all those there in a PUBLIC setting. I don't get offended easily, especially by profanity, but the dude needs to cool it. There is a difference between being intense and being disrespectful of those around you adult or child.

Get over it or stop watching....

18. Likes:

coachpipe (05-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I don't get the issue profanity and kids in general.

Adults use it all the time when kids aren't around, and kids use it all the time when adults aren't around.
    You've got me there. I swore like crazy around my friends, as long as my mom couldn't hear me. My dad didn't really even care. And my old man swore right in front of me all the time.

I just don't like setting a bad example for kids, might have something to do with the way I grew up. In the end, they're just words, and if your kid is exposed to bad language and you can't explain why they shouldn't speak that way themselves, you're probably not a very good parent.

In short I guess I agree... Not really a big deal.
    Last edited by jhiller21; 05-27-2013 at 06:49 PM.

20. Likes:

coachpipe (05-28-2013)

If your biggest complaint with Votto is that he drops too many F-bombs on the field, then I'd say we have it pretty good.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

22. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (05-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Get over it or stop watching....
    Whatever. I guess we are just all hardasses now and people shouldn't have to show a little respect for those around them. I cuss like a sailor when it is the acceptable time and place to do so. I don't mind hearing cussing at a ball game or on TV if its used sporadically. But there is no need to be screaming F as loud as you can 5 times after a strikeout in the first inning during a game in may. Sorry if I'd like people to show some respectful public behavior. I guess that's just something lost upon us now.
    Last edited by Old school 1983; 05-27-2013 at 06:51 PM.

Couldn't care less if he keeps hitting homers

Turn Off Ads?