Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 69

Thread: Votto and the F bomb

  1. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    180

    Re: Votto and the F bomb

    Every athlete not named Tim Tebow screams profanities. I think it's amusing when you hear an F bomb on TV because it's not something you expected to hear lol

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #47
    Member Old school 1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,695

    Re: Votto and the F bomb

    Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    The more I thought about it, the more I started seeing your side of the argument. I think we can all agree, that through the course of 162 games, professional athletes who have spent most of their lives in locker rooms, are going to once in a while pop a few choice words after failing to do something on the field. But there is a point where too much is too much, especially when you have paying customers within ear shot.
    Exactly. I 100% expect to hear swearing from athletes. No questions asked. It doesn't bother me. Hearing stuff like that is part of life. There is no need to go on a 5 F bomb tangent or know you're going to hear it at least once extremely loudly at least once a game. It's not the cussing that bothers me. It's the extremely loud excessive manner in which he does it.

  4. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    87

    Re: Votto and the F bomb

    It annoys me, and I wish it would stop.

    If I had to guess, I would guess it annoys Votto, and he wishes he could stop too. Easier said than done, sometimes.

    jvs

  5. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    297

    Re: Votto and the F bomb

    Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Whatever. I guess we are just all hardasses now and people shouldn't have to show a little respect for those around them. I cuss like a sailor when it is the acceptable time and place to do so. I don't mind hearing cussing at a ball game or on TV if its used sporadically. But there is no need to be screaming F as loud as you can 5 times after a strikeout in the first inning during a game in may. Sorry if I'd like people to show some respectful public behavior. I guess that's just something lost upon us now.
    Or maybe we just dont care.

  6. #50
    Member Old school 1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,695

    Re: Votto and the F bomb

    Quote Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
    Or maybe we just dont care.
    If you don't care then it's just fine. But some of us do and i think votto is representing himself and the organization in a very poor light. If you don't then I guess we just don't have the same values when it comes to what is appropriate to scream on a daily basis in a public workplace.
    Last edited by Old school 1983; 05-28-2013 at 12:33 PM.

  7. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    297

    Re: Votto and the F bomb

    Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    You're so cool. I wish I could be like you. All aloof and apathetic. If you don't care then don't post. Not hard.
    Never said I was cool. Actually I hate that whole term cool in the first place. But I dont see a point in going on a 6 page rant over something so dumb. He said a bad word because he was pissed off. You act like youre all high and mighty and above everyone because you feel outraged someone said a bad word. You must have been the kid who always tattled. So and so said a bad word, you should put them in time out. Hes a grown man and can react however he may please. Sounds like you are the person who needs to grow up

  8. #52
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,199

    Re: Votto and the F bomb

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    It is literally just a word. Who cares.
    I agree somewhat...but as a parent of 4 kids...I certainly see the reason for the thread. Sometimes all it takes is someone to say something to him and he'll curb it himself. It's not that hard to vent your frustration with something not quite so offensive. I'm sure Joey's not doing it on purpose (or without thought) it's just coming out...but every parent goes through that change of censoring yourself when your kids are around. No reason MLB players can't a little bit.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  9. Likes:

    marcshoe (05-28-2013), Old school 1983 (05-28-2013), redsrule2500 (05-28-2013)

  10. #53
    Member NebraskaRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    1,331

    Re: Votto and the F bomb

    Quote Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
    Never said I was cool. Actually I hate that whole term cool in the first place. But I dont see a point in going on a 6 page rant over something so dumb. He said a bad word because he was pissed off. You act like youre all high and mighty and above everyone because you feel outraged someone said a bad word. You must have been the kid who always tattled. So and so said a bad word, you should put them in time out. Hes a grown man and can react however he may please. Sounds like you are the person who needs to grow up
    Let's just calm down here before someone starts shouting obscenities.

    Maybe it's my age, but I think it degrades baseball a little to have players do something like this. There are few, very few, pure and innocent things left in the world. Baseball is not pure and innocent, but it's the closest thing we have to it in profressional sports. I don't think there should be a fine for this sort of thing, but I wish it wouldn't happen.

  11. #54
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    297

    Re: Votto and the F bomb

    It is not joeys responsibility to parent your kids. And just as Louis CK says about censoring. If you say the N-word. Not the actual N- word. But just the N- word. Everyone knows what youre referring to. So isnt that the point of a word? So now you are putting the word in my head and im saying the word.

    Political correctness just takes you right back to square 1

  12. #55
    Member NebraskaRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    1,331

    Re: Votto and the F bomb

    Quote Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
    It is not joeys responsibility to parent your kids. And just as Louis CK says about censoring. If you say the N-word. Not the actual N- word. But just the N- word. Everyone knows what youre referring to. So isnt that the point of a word? So now you are putting the word in my head and im saying the word.

    Political correctness just takes you right back to square 1
    It's not "politcal correctness" to say that you wish Votto (and any other player) wouldn't curse so loudly when kids are nearby.

  13. Likes:

    marcshoe (05-28-2013)

  14. #56
    Member Old school 1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,695

    Re: Votto and the F bomb

    Quote Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
    Never said I was cool. Actually I hate that whole term cool in the first place. But I dont see a point in going on a 6 page rant over something so dumb. He said a bad word because he was pissed off. You act like youre all high and mighty and above everyone because you feel outraged someone said a bad word. You must have been the kid who always tattled. So and so said a bad word, you should put them in time out. Hes a grown man and can react however he may please. Sounds like you are the person who needs to grow up
    I'm sorry about that post. It was knee jerk and I instantly edited it. If you don't care that's fine. Actually I was the kid who never tattled. If you're amongst friends in a private setting, then unless its extremely illegal, then who cares. That crap pisses me off, but at the same time respect in public is needed especially if you're in a position of respect and admiration like votto. If he cusses now and then no one cares including myself. But rattling off obscenity after obscenity at the top of your lungs in front of 47000 people portrays not only him but the organization in a bad light. Votto doesn't need time out. He needs to act like a man in a position of respect and admiration and not like a pissed off teenager when things don't go his way. Baseball is a game of failure. Just like when you succeed act like you have been there before don't throw profane hissy fit in front of near 50000 fans, some of them impressionable children.

    It has nothing tondo with political correctness. It has to do with what's socially acceptable and what's proper behavior of a grown man in front of near 50000 people. A rampage of F bombs is not acceptable behavior in that situation. Now if he's at home or in the clubhouse or amongst friends who don't care, then I could care less. But when representing himself as the best player in the game, the reds organization, and the city if Cincinnati, it's bush league
    Last edited by Old school 1983; 05-28-2013 at 12:59 PM.

  15. #57
    Moderator LexRedsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Greenville, South Carolina
    Posts
    558

    Re: Votto and the F bomb

    I laughed whenever he had his outburst yesterday, I'll admit it.

    It was pretty absurd.

  16. #58
    Member Kiko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    101

    Re: Votto and the F bomb

    I am finding this thread very interesting and found a baseball document from 1898 where the league told the players to stop using foul language. Read it you might be amused as I was. Also, in an attempt to have some fun with this, Votto should say something else instead of dropping the F-bomb (many people do this, fudge, fiddle sticks etc). Some Red theme suggestions:

    Cozart is batting second?!!
    Coo Coo Ca Choo!
    Oh, Canada!


    http://s210975194.onlinehome.us/blog/?p=41

  17. #59
    The rest is drama. marcshoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    In the woods, with a shovel
    Posts
    5,119

    Re: Votto and the F bomb

    If you think this is bad, you should hear the language his bat uses!

  18. #60
    The rest is drama. marcshoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    In the woods, with a shovel
    Posts
    5,119

    Re: Votto and the F bomb

    Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    It's not "politcal correctness" to say that you wish Votto (and any other player) wouldn't curse so loudly when kids are nearby.
    And seriously, it's in the best interests of the Reds and MLB to make the games kid-friendly. This baseball fan stuff starts early.

    The language doesn't bother me, but if this had been audible on broadcasts when I was a kid, I might not have been allowed to watch.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25