Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Votto and the F bomb

Re: Votto and the F bomb

Quote Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
    I am finding this thread very interesting and found a baseball document from 1898 where the league told the players to stop using foul language. Read it you might be amused as I was. Also, in an attempt to have some fun with this, Votto should say something else instead of dropping the F-bomb (many people do this, fudge, fiddle sticks etc). Some Red theme suggestions:

Cozart is batting second?!!
    Coo Coo Ca Choo!
    Oh, Canada!

http://s210975194.onlinehome.us/blog/?p=41
    I vote oh Canada.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Guess no one cares. F*** this thread then. Hope no one finds that offensive.
    You have a really good point with this post.

Nobody seems to care about Votto screaming this through televisions across the country, but we're not allowed to even type out the word on this very message board. Rule change time?
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
    It is not joeys responsibility to parent your kids. And just as Louis CK says about censoring. If you say the N-word. Not the actual N- word. But just the N- word. Everyone knows what youre referring to. So isnt that the point of a word? So now you are putting the word in my head and im saying the word.

Political correctness just takes you right back to square 1
    If you were to repeat the F bomb at a Reds game sitting in the stands around children, you could be asked to leave. This whole "not joey's responsibility to parent your kids" is not the issue.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    You have a really good point with this post.

Nobody seems to care about Votto screaming this through televisions across the country, but we're not allowed to even type out the word on this very message board. Rule change time?
    That was kind of my point with that post. It is offensive. I'm not holy than thou by any stretch and I don't mind athletes cussing but the manner and frequency at which he does it is too much. I was never on a crusade to wash his mouth out with palmolive. Cussing isn't the issue. It's the manner and frequency of it and on the stage he is on. Technically under the rules for this board I could get banned for that even if no one was offended.
    Last edited by Old school 1983; 05-28-2013 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Seems like Dusty agrees with Old School

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...ttos-outburst/
    I find that mildly amusing coming from Dusty

I remember VERY WELL just after Jay Bruce hit the homer against the Astros in 2010 and we clinched the Central Divison...right after Dusty came out of the dugout to join in the celebrations and they stuck a mic in has face he VERY AUDIBLY said something to the effect "man am I happy...GOD-D**N I'm happy!" - at first I thought "did he REALLY just say that ON MIC?" - so I reversed the TiVo and yeah, he DEF. said it

Now I certainly do NOT know this to be fact, but I personally honestly doubt that Dusty minds Votto's "outbursts" (prob. not so crazy about the # of times it gets caught on camera and/or audibly), but I bet he actually quite likes the overall "fierceness/fire" or whatever you want to coin it coming from Votto.

Back when Dusty played the game, the technology was not anywhere NEARLY as good, so those guys I'm sure said and did much, much worse overall. They simply did not have to worry about EVERY LITTLE THING being picked up via a camera or mic.

Heck, when Latos starts losing control of his emotions, I lose count some games of the # of F-bombs I see that guy spewing. And I've seen/heard it coming from many other players as well.

Not saying any of the above makes it "right" per se, but the honest truth of the matter is (and even regardless of the fact that kids might hold many of these guys up on a bit of a pedestal), if you have (or had) young kids, I PROMISE YOU they have (or did) hear just about ever word under the sun by the time they were in the 2nd grade. I sure did, and that was back in 80/81 (and yes, I was already using some "language" of my own by that time as well , like most of peers).

Basically, I am not saying any poster in this thread is "wrong" for the way they feel concerning the matter. I mean, I DO understand why some might wish he would "tone it down", but unless you are home-schooling your children and being a VERY "sheltering" sort of parent, chances are HIGHLY likely that your kids have already heard even worse, even at a very young age.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    If you don't care then it's just fine. But some of us do and i think votto is representing himself and the organization in a very poor light. If you don't then I guess we just don't have the same values when it comes to what is appropriate to scream on a daily basis in a public workplace.
    I love the oversensitivity, hypocrisy, and moral high ground rolled into one. Votto is human and should be held to that standard. Lets not talk about his countless acts of charity, lets talk about him using a word a few times out of frustration. He is a professional athlete not the moral high ground we all must live up too.

Quote Originally Posted by Thisyear View Post
    I love the oversensitivity, hypocrisy, and moral high ground rolled into one. Votto is human and should be held to that standard. Lets not talk about his countless acts of charity, lets talk about him using a word a few times out of frustration. He is a professional athlete not the moral high ground we all must live up too.
    I'm not over sensitive to cussing. Idk how many freaking times I have to say that. And I'm not putting myself up on a pedestal. His acts of charity are great, but are really out of the scope of this. It's not about cursing. It's not about saying F***. I fully except athletes to be human. I fully expect them to cuss. I fully expect myself to use language like that on a daily basis. It's about the manner and frequency he does it. There is no reason to scream it at the top of your lungs multiple times in front of 50000 people multiple times a week. I brought it up because I am not very sensitive to cursing. I could care less if its used in the proper environment. I could care less if its said occasionally by athletes, but I thought it was to the point where he is making himself look like an idiot in public and shading the organization in a bad light. I get being human. We all cuss but we also have the ability to restrain ourselves.

I'm not very sensitive to cussing at all and the way votto was conducting his business was beginning to bother me, so I thought it'd bother others too. There a big difference between using profane language among adults, or letting one go now and then while playing sports and repeatedly screaming it at the top of your lungs at least a couple times a week in front of 50000 people in what is supposed to be a family friendly environment. It's not oversenditivity, it's not hypocrisy, it's not political correctness, it's not me being a tattle or a wuss. It's about a grown ass man not being able to control what he says when he is representing all of MLB as one if their best players, the reds organization, and the city of Cincinnati on a global stage. If I was offended by cursing and did so myself yes that hypocrisy and tattling and whining. I just want a guy to control himself and language he uses in a public setting on near a daily basis.

If I'm a tattle, a wuss, a hypocrite, or thin skinned because I think a grown man in a position of respect and and admiration is acting in a classless way when he repeatedly screams profanities at the top of his lungs on a consistent basis in front of 47000 people then idk what to say.

Turn Off Ads?