Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2013 MLB Draft pick discussion thread

Re: 2013 MLB Draft pick discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Look Doug, I know you are well versed in the inner-workings of minor league baseball and player development, but you cannot say with 100% certainty that I am wrong, even though I most likely am.

I respect your opinions and really enjoy reading what you have to say but I can tell you from experience that talking to people like this is a bad idea. Even if you are 100% correct you still come off in a bad way, and God forbid if you are proven wrong yourself.
    I can tell you, with 100% certainty that teams aren't drafting with anything in mind at the Major League level unless they draft a reliever in the first round. Guys simply take to long to develop, even elite guys, to draft them thinking of replacements for anyone on your current roster. Jay Bruce tore through the minor leagues at a rapid pace, winning the Minor League player of the year award. It still took him 3 years to reach the Majors. Teams understand that and for that reason along with multitudes of others, they simply aren't looking at the Major League roster when evaluating amateur talent.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post

Anyway, the Reds drafted Yonder Alonso when they were pretty sure Votto was the guy for the future.
    Votto was just starting his rookie campaign when Alonso was drafted, they obviously thought highly of him but he was not established yet. If I remember correctly people were upset at the time when Alonso was drafted because of Votto.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Votto was just starting his rookie campaign when Alonso was drafted, they obviously thought highly of him but he was not established yet. If I remember correctly people were upset at the time when Alonso was drafted because of Votto.
    I think this is right. When Alonso was drafted, Votto wasn't in all that different a position than Mesoraco is now, except Votto was hitting a lot better.

The difference here is that Alonso was a polished college hitter who could move fast, whereas any HS catcher will always be at least 4-5 years from the majors.

To answer Doug's earlier point, I do think Votto and his 10 year deal do have something to do with how the Reds draft right now. If a guy is projected solely as a 1B, especially a polished college 1B, I doubt the Reds consider him with their first couple picks. Almost no matter what.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-03-2013 at 03:52 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

5. Likes:

mdccclxix (06-03-2013)

n/m
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Is Choo a good comp for Ervin? Or a poor man's Matt Kemp?

Or is he the OF version of Rickie Weeks?
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-03-2013 at 04:11 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Are there any potential Mike Trouts in this draft who have really high potential but fall for whatever reason?
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Are there any potential Mike Trouts in this draft who have really high potential but fall for whatever reason?
    I don't know about potential Mike Trout, but Austin Wilson could be a future Eric Davis/Preston Wilson type who once was in discussion for the Top 5 picks but could now likely be around when the Reds pick at 27. However he is a college player so it's a little different.

Tim Anderson could be called half-Billy Hamilton, half-Brandon Phillips.
    Billy McKinney could be this year's Jesse Winker.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-03-2013 at 04:27 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

10. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-03-2013)

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...+draft&page=10

Actually redszoners were pretty upset about drafting Alonso in 2008. Most people wanted Gordon Beckham (to fill the need at SS in the reds system).

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I think this is right. When Alonso was drafted, Votto wasn't in all that different a position than Mesoraco is now, except Votto was hitting a lot better.
    Hope I'm not pulling a Doug here...

But the Reds FO knew Votto was the answer. Heck, a lot of guys knew he was the answer when he was in Dayton. The second Alonso was drafted, he was the trade bait that he eventually became. You have no problem drafted a sure thing that is blocked because he becomes a wild card for you.

The Brewers drafted Matt LaPorta when they had Prince. Everyone knew they drafted him only to trade him. His floor was already so high, they knew they could trade him quickly (of course he ended up not panning out!) But still flipped him for CC. We flipped Alonso (and others) for Latos.

You draft the best player available because he can be traded for whatever you need if he is successful. Teams do this all the time. If there was a no-brainer 1B sitting out there for us, pretty sure we'd take him.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Jonathan Gray Tests Positive For Banned Stimulant
    By Steve Adams [June 3 at 5:18pm CST]
    ESPN's Keith Law reports that Oklahoma right-hander Jonathan Gray, projected to be one of the Top 5 picks in Thursday's MLB draft, has tested positive for Adderall -- a stimulant which is banned by the Joint Drug Agreement between MLB and the players' union. According to Law, the test will not result in a suspension, and it's not likely to cause him to slip in the draft.

In fact, in a second piece (this one for ESPN Insiders only), Law outlines a scenario in which this test could actually make Gray more appealing to the Astros with the first overall pick. Law writes that Gray's bonus demands will be lower due to the poor result. One source told Law he expects Gray to sign for a "huge" discount. In that scenario, the Astros could likely sign Gray below slot with the first pick and allocate some of the additional funds to later players without risk of exceeding their bonus pool.

Adderall is typically prescribed as a treatment for ADHD, but Gray did not have a prescription for the drug. In Law's first piece, he notes that more than 110 active players were granted exemptions to use the drug in 2012. Carlos Ruiz's 25-game suspension to open the season was the result of using Adderall without a prescription, he adds. Most teams that Law has spoken to thus far aren't overly troubled by Gray's test, though it does bring his judgment into question.

I frown upon the Reds raking that OK prep catcher Denney.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    Last time they drafted an OK prep catcher it worked out pretty well
    Go BLUE!!!

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Any particular reason? I kind of like the idea of a plus bat who might be able to catch in the bigs. Denney seems to have the upside that I am looking for.

Any team that takes him his just going to move him to a corner OF position. I would just take a polished college bat that should stay at his position while moving just as quick like 3B Eric Jagielo, Notre Dame,
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Any team that takes him his just going to move him to a corner OF position. I would just take a polished college bat that should stay at his position while moving just as quick like 3B Eric Jagielo, Notre Dame,
    Last time the Reds took a power hitting prep catcher and moved him to a corner, that worked out pretty well too.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?