Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: 2013 MLB Draft pick discussion thread

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: 2013 MLB Draft pick discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    Red Sox beat writers. Red Sox hosted Frazier, Meadows, and Denney today in workouts.
    Does your opinion change on the justification of the Reds taking Denney now that you have heard that the BoSox beat writers think he is going to go Top 10 the day before the draft?

I think Denney would be a good pick. I would still rather have McKinney or Wilson, though.

2. Turn Off Ads?

My final prediction (which I do not want to happen) is:

Marco Gonzales, LHP, Gonzaga University

anybody else? Not who you want them to draft, but who you think they are going to draft.

I am on board with drafting Gonzales, which I guess puts me in a minority on Redszone.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Does your opinion change on the justification of the Reds taking Denney now that you have heard that the BoSox beat writers think he is going to go Top 10 the day before the draft?

I think Denney would be a good pick. I would still rather have McKinney or Wilson, though.
    I guess but he still will be moved to a OF corner spot.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    My final prediction (which I do not want to happen) is:

Marco Gonzales, LHP, Gonzaga University

anybody else? Not who you want them to draft, but who you think they are going to draft.
    I'll play:

Edd Roush's prediction of who the Reds will pick: Billy McKinney, OF, Plano (Texas) West Senior HS

The last time we took a Texas high school outfielder it worked out pretty well. I have seen the Reds associated with McKinney a lot and I would be ecstatic with the pick.

As for Gonzales, I have kind of turned my opinion of him recently. He actually reminds me a lot of Mike Leake. He isn't going to blow guys away with his stuff, but seems to still be very successful in college with his current arsenal. Leake did have better results as a pitcher in college, but like Leake Gonzales had a .300+ BA in his junior year at the plate and ESPN opines that Gonzales "would probably be drafted in the top five or six rounds as a position player, falling mostly because he only shows power in BP." More importantly Gonzales apparently has a great feel for pitching (like Leake). With apparently one of the best changeups in the draft, and the success of Leake this year, I will not be mad at the Reds for taking Gonzales who may be the lefty version of Leake (or perhaps a Travis Wood type).

I still prefer Wilson or McKinney, but Gonzales seems like a guy who will pitch in someone's rotation and hit a little bit when he is in the bigs in the next five years.

7. Likes:

mdccclxix (06-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    I guess but he still will be moved to a OF corner spot.
    If his bat is as good as advertised, his bat will play at a corner OF spot, which is why teams at the back-end of the top 10 are likely interested. Denney would be an Edd Roush-approved pick by the Reds.

Draft Gonzales and bring him up this year as the LOOGY? haha

I want NO part of Marco Gonzalez. Very limited upside.
    Go BLUE!!!

I don't know, according to his scouting report he has a "plus plus changeup" and it is perhaps the best changeup in the draft. I like the sound of that. Reds have plenty of young right handed flamethrowers in the pipeline, I wouldn't mind a left handed change of pace type pitcher to insert into the middle to back end of the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I want NO part of Marco Gonzalez. Very limited upside.
    Don't you kind of get the Mike Leake/Travis Wood vibe from him, though? I'm not super excited about drafting a MOR starter, but there are worse picks for the Reds to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Don't you kind of get the Mike Leake/Travis Wood vibe from him, though? I'm not super excited about drafting a MOR starter, but there are worse picks for the Reds to make.
    If there was ever a time where we don't need a polished, fast-moving college pitcher with limited upside, this is it. We have a ton of pitching depth at the big league level and high minors between Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Leake, Arroyo, Cingrani, Corcino, Reynolds and Rogers- not to mention Chapman. What we need now is middle of the diamond players (Buckley's specialty), power hitting corner OF, and high-upside HS arms (to go along with the next gen guys like Stephenson and Travieso). Our pitching is set for the next 2-3 years, but then there might be a lot of turnover.

In other words, we don't need another Mike Leake who can bypass the minors to help rotation depth, we need another Robert Stephenson/Homer Bailey-type pitcher, OR a middle of the diamond player like Grandal/Mez/Hamilton, OR a big corner OF bat like Bruce or Winker.

That's why I like Austin Wilson, Billy McKinney, Jon Denney, and Tim Anderson for our first round pick. If we're going to take a college pitcher, hopefully it's Sean Manaea who, despite having top 10 talent, may slide due to injury and signability concerns (which are concerning to me, but at least the payoff is there if he hits). If we're going to take a HS arm, I hope for Trey Ball or Ian Clarkin, although they are likely to be off the board by 27, but they are more Stephenson/Bailey types than Leake types, despite the fact that they are southpaws.

I feel that there is better depth in this draft for pitching around our 38th and 67th picks than at the 27th pick. It seems as though there is a signifcant dropoff after the top 8 arms (Gray, Appel, Shipley, Stewart, Stanek, Manaea, Ball and Clarkin). I don't differentiate all that much between the next group, which is why I'd rather take whoever falls to 38 (say a guy like Kaminsky, Krook or Green) rather than reach for someone at 27. I think there is a higher likelihood that one of the bats I mentioned above falls to us at 27, and IMO they would be the BPA for us at that spot.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-05-2013 at 02:43 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

If there was ever a time where we don't need a polished, fast-moving college pitcher with limited upside, this is it. We have a ton of pitching depth at the big league level and high minors between Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Leake, Arroyo, Cingrani, Corcino, Reynolds and Rogers- not to mention Chapman. What we need now is middle of the diamond players (Buckley's specialty), power hitting corner OF, and high-upside HS arms (to go along with the next gen guys like Stephenson and Travieso). Our pitching is set for the next 2-3 years, but then there might be a lot of turnover.

In other words, we don't need another Mike Leake who can bypass the minors to help rotation depth, we need another Robert Stephenson/Homer Bailey-type pitcher, OR a middle of the diamond player like Grandal/Mez/Hamilton, OR a big corner OF bat like Bruce or Winker.
    I know the Reds have more depth at starting pitching right now than at any other point in the 29 years I have been alive but you can always use more.

Let's be honest, there is a pretty good chance Corcino, Rogers and Reynolds will not do anything at the major league level.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I know the Reds have more depth at starting pitching right now than at any other point in the 29 years I have been alive but you can always use more.

Let's be honest, there is a pretty good chance Corcino, Rogers and Reynolds will not do anything at the major league level.
    True, but there is also a pretty good chance none of them will need to. They are 7th, 8th and 9th on the current depth chart. (Hopefully) by the time one of them will be needed, there's a decent chance someone like Stephenson, Contreras or even Cisco will be ready.

We can always use more pitching, but my preference would be for a higher upside guy farther from the big leagues than a lower upside guy who is closer, especially given our current depth.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-05-2013 at 02:47 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

True, but there is also a pretty good chance none of them will need to. They are 7th, 8th and 9th on the current depth chart. (Hopefully) by the time one of them will be needed, there's a decent chance someone like Stephenson or even Cisco will be ready.

We can always use more pitching, but my preference would be for a higher upside guy farther from the big leagues than a lower upside guy who is closer, especially given our current depth.
    I see, it is nice that he is polished, but I mainly like the fact he has a very good changeup and is left handed. The Reds do not have anybody that fits that description it seems.

Marco Gonzalez before Austin Wilson all day long.

Pitching depth is a phantom.

Turn Off Ads?