Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: M's Manager: Sabermetrics made Dustin Ackley suck

M's Manager: Sabermetrics made Dustin Ackley suck

Is that so, Eric Wedge?

http://deadspin.com/mariners-manager...ey-s-510150363

"It's the new generation. It's all this sabermetrics stuff, for lack of a better term, you know what I mean?" Wedge said. "People who haven't played since they were 9 years old think they have it figured out. It gets in these kids' heads."
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: M's Manager: Sabermetrics made Dustin Ackley suck

Yikes!
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Totally, sabermetrics is why I was late to work last week!
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

5. Likes:

dabvu2498 (05-28-2013), Edd Roush (05-29-2013), MikeThierry (05-28-2013), oneupper (05-28-2013), Wonderful Monds (05-28-2013)

Wait. What?
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Possible? Maybe. Likely? No.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

I am sure he means that Dustin is taking too many pitches and was not drafted to take walks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    I am sure he means that Dustin is taking too many pitches and was not drafted to take walks.
    But is that what Joey Votto was drafted for?
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    But is that what Joey Votto was drafted for?
    He was drafted to be the Next Johnny Bench and Juan Valdez.

11. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (05-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Wait. What?
    "It's the new generation. It's all this sabermetrics stuff, for lack of a better term, you know what I mean?" Wedge said. "People who haven't played since they were 9 years old think they have it figured out. It gets in these kids' heads."

Clearly, this will make sense the second time you read it.

Cire Egdew is Eric Wedge spelled backwards. Eric Wedge would be more tolerable if he began making people address him as Cire Egdew.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

14. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (05-29-2013)

Despite the rockhead manner in which he makes his point, Wedge may be saying something about Ackley's approach that has merit. You have to think Ackley is playing well below his talent level, and perhaps some of it is due to not being aggressive enough at the plate. I don't know -- someone who watches the Mariners a lot may have some insight.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

16. Likes:

edabbs44 (05-28-2013), REDREAD (05-29-2013), Todd Gack (05-28-2013), Tony Cloninger (05-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Despite the rockhead manner in which he makes his point, Wedge may be saying something about Ackley's approach that has merit. You have to think Ackley is playing well below his talent level, and perhaps some of it is due to not being aggressive enough at the plate. I don't know -- someone who watches the Mariners a lot may have some insight.
    All kidding aside..... maybe Dustin is just one of those hitters who would be better served to be less selective/patient. It does not always work to take pitches and let yourself get in a hole. A few said this about Stubbs.

Sabermetrics sunk the Titanic. Sabermetrics were on the grass knoll. Sabermetrics killed off the Neanderthals.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Ackley has the numbers you'd expect a deer in the headlights to produce.

He needs to forget everything he learned in 2012 and 2013 and pretend its 2011..swing more and kill fewer worms and read more Bill James (Ackley's bat circa 2011 and his glove circa 2013 is a nice little player).
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Sabermetrics sunk the Titanic. Sabermetrics were on the grass knoll. Sabermetrics killed off the Neanderthals.
    Actually Neanderthals were bred into extinction by the geeks that invented the wheel in their mother's cave.

21. Likes:

drowg14 (05-29-2013), Wonderful Monds (05-28-2013)

Turn Off Ads?