Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: M's Manager: Sabermetrics made Dustin Ackley suck

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

Re: M's Manager: Sabermetrics made Dustin Ackley suck

That, and pitchers.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Sabermetrics sunk the Titanic. Sabermetrics were on the grass knoll. Sabermetrics killed off the Neanderthals.
    They made Steve Guttenberg a star.

4. Likes:

Brisco (05-30-2013),Chip R (05-28-2013),Tom Servo (05-28-2013)

I kept wondering why my day was so sucky. If only I hadn't read those articles on fangraphs.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Haunted by walks

Isn't that the whole Adam Dunn thing again: You're too selective, so swing at more bad pitches?

Or Good ones.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Isn't that the whole Adam Dunn thing again: You're too selective, so swing at more bad pitches?
    I'm gonna go get the papers. Get the papers.

9. Likes:

Raisor (05-29-2013)

I don't think they are throwing Dunn or Dustin more bad ones than good ones. They ...well Dunn...has morphed into Nate Colbert 1975-76.

He Takes Too Many Strikes Too. Strikes Out Looking A Ton.

12. Likes:

REDREAD (05-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    They made Steve Guttenberg a star.
    We do, we do!

Well the author certainly writes like a 9 year old spoiled nerd that thinks he has everything figured out in the final paragraph.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Sabermetricians - Can anyone that knows how to read and compare advanced baseball metrics grant themselves this title?

I would think one should have to invent some new tell all metric to call themselves that; or work for some organization/place that pays them to do sabermetric analysis. Otherwise you're just a user of Sabermetrics.

I know how to read and do math, does that make me a mathematician?

Where was I going with this?
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

I suppose Eric Wedge believes that Dustin Ackley only became aware of sabermetrics at exactly the time he began to suck.

Perhaps Eric Wedge should study up on sabermetrics seeing as how his old-school approach has guided his team into a perpetual cellar-dweller. Losers shouldn't cast stones.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Despite the rockhead manner in which he makes his point, Wedge may be saying something about Ackley's approach that has merit. You have to think Ackley is playing well below his talent level, and perhaps some of it is due to not being aggressive enough at the plate. I don't know -- someone who watches the Mariners a lot may have some insight.
    not really. His problem is that his BB rate has decreased (not sabr good) and he's hitting way more ground balls (not sabr good).

He's more aggressive at the plate this year than he was in 2011, the last time he was even "good."

It's all there in the stats...

"Hi, my name is Eric Wedge. My job is to put my players in the best position to succeed and to make sure that players perform up to their abilities. Unfortunately, bloggers have more influence over my players than I do. I am a bad coach."
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

19. Likes:

bubbachunk (05-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Sabermetrics sunk the Titanic. Sabermetrics were on the grass knoll. Sabermetrics killed off the Neanderthals.
    Sabermetrics killed the radio star.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

21. Likes:

Brisco (05-30-2013),cumberlandreds (05-29-2013),drowg14 (05-29-2013),M2 (05-29-2013),RichRed (05-29-2013),Tom Servo (05-29-2013)

Turn Off Ads?