Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: M's Manager: Sabermetrics made Dustin Ackley suck

Re: M's Manager: Sabermetrics made Dustin Ackley suck

Absolutely not vanilla, this is barely short of a Bobby Valentine type foot in mouth.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Despite the rockhead manner in which he makes his point, Wedge may be saying something about Ackley's approach that has merit. You have to think Ackley is playing well below his talent level, and perhaps some of it is due to not being aggressive enough at the plate. I don't know -- someone who watches the Mariners a lot may have some insight.
    One of the keys to hitting is being aggressive on pitches you can drive. If you're just sitting there waiting for the walk, then pitchers are going to get you out and you're never going to get extra base hits. Maybe Ackley got the "have patience" part but the "selectively aggressive" part is what is missing.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

4. Likes:

mth123 (05-30-2013)

Wedge and Paul Daugherty need to get together and discuss "SABRE-facts".

Which Godzilla monster was Sabermetrics again, the one that looked like a moth or the three-headed dragon?
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Which Godzilla monster was Sabermetrics again, the one that looked like a moth or the three-headed dragon?
    I always thought it was a mind control technique invented by the CIA in the 60s. Cue the black helicopters.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    I always thought it was a mind control technique invented by the CIA in the 60s. Cue the black helicopters.
    You guys are way off. Sabermetrics is the system for classifying and categorizing sabers. From the medieval falchion to the Patton saber adopted by the U.S. army in 1913, sabermetrics is a very useful tool in the study of sabers.

9. Likes:

Big Klu (05-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Sabermetrics sunk the Titanic. Sabermetrics were on the grass knoll. Sabermetrics killed off the Neanderthals.
    Apparently not all of them.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

11. Likes:

jojo (05-29-2013),RichRed (05-29-2013)

FC Lane laughs at Wedges ineptitude with explaining metrics in a game he is deeply involved in from the grave, John McGraw though weeps at the Wedge's second missed opportunity to have an impact in a game that tenders few opportunities in life.

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    No, Sabermetrics was mechanized.

I'm not a system player. I am a system.

14. Likes:

Big Klu (05-29-2013),wolfboy (05-29-2013)

The most interesting part of this thread is that Wedge is either being criticized, mocked or both my most posters without even exploring whether or not there is validity in what he is saying. And here I thought sabermetrics was about opening up your understanding of how the game works, different points of view, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    The most interesting part of this thread is that Wedge is either being criticized, mocked or both my most posters without even exploring whether or not there is validity in what he is saying. And here I thought sabermetrics was about opening up your understanding of how the game works, different points of view, etc.
    Oh please, he claims SABERMETRICS has made Dustin Ackley's game go away.

Meanwhile he take a numerous amount of strikes on the outside corner, can you point me to the study by these former nine year old washouts that suggests that a player should give up the outside of the plate to all pitchers instead of adjusting their approach?

17. Likes:

membengal (05-30-2013),Raisor (05-29-2013)

There isn't validity in what he is saying.

But you're welcome to make the counterargument especially since you've concluded that those disagreeing with Wedge are closeminded.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

And here I thought sabermetrics was about opening up your understanding of how the game works, different points of view, etc.
    I thought sabermetrics were a tool used to accurately track and assess a player or team's abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I thought sabermetrics were a tool used to accurately track and assess a player or team's abilities.
    Bill James defined sabermetrics as "the search for objective knowledge about baseball." Thus, sabermetrics attempts to answer objective questions about baseball, such as "which player on the Red Sox contributed the most to the team's offense?" or "How many home runs will Ken Griffey hit next year?" It cannot deal with the subjective judgments which are also important to the game, such as "Who is your favorite player?" or "That was a great game."
    It also is used to kill insects in 13 third world countries

Pickles are made with cucumbers

Turn Off Ads?