Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Votto f-bombs: Good or bad?

Re: The Votto f-bombs: Good or bad?

I am sure Joey is not the only one that says it and says it loudly at a baseball game. I am willing to bet others players or coaches in just that game said it too. It has been going on in baseball since baseball was invented. If you went to an Orioles games back in the day you had a really good chance to hear the f bomb.

Warning: bad language

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl-4FSRYagc

As far as sheltering kids, if your kids have been on the internet, they can find just about any bad word imaginable on sites that would not be blocked by any protective software.

Unbecoming, maybe. Unprofessional, possibly. Yet everyone already knows that if you take your kid to the ballpark they will have a good chance to hear some bad words. I am also sure there was not a single kid in the ballpark that day who hadn't already heard someone else say it.

Personally, I don't care. It's just a word.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    The thread title made me think of this scene from the greatest television show of all time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlZGguSrp18
    Oh man, I don't know why I didn't think of that. First time I watched that scene I remember thinking how brilliant it was.

Man, I miss The Wire.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

4. Likes:

Chip R (05-29-2013),RedEye (05-29-2013)

If you read Votto talk about his approach to hitting, this comes as no surprise. He is motivated by the intellectual battle going on between batter and pitcher. That's why he watches the film he watches and reads all the scouting report. The mental component of hitting is like a high to him. He likes to win and come through in key situations, but not necessarily just because it helps the team, but more because it means he won that chess game.

Those ABs when he winds up letting loose an f-bomb are pretty much always those ones where he was outsmarted, or guessed wrong. It it's bases loaded and no outs in the 9th of a tie game and he smokes a line drive to the first baseman for a double-play is likely to lead to a less animated reaction than a guy on first with 2 outs in the same situation if he was made to look bad by the pitcher (just my speculation of course). He's much more motivated by his own objectives than he is the outcome of the AB, IMO. It's why I love the guy so much. He plays for his own reasons.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

6. Likes:

Fil3232 (05-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    If it's not a big deal, why do we prohibit it here, among adults? Maybe he should use Frack

Frell!
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

8. Likes:

I don't care about it for any fan's delicate sensibilities. I care more if he's feeling that much more frustrated this year than previous years.

I don't recall hearing this very often in the past. Maybe he was just channeling it much more internally before and is more comfortable letting go now?

I think it was Dusty who said, "That's not him."
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I don't care about it for any fan's delicate sensibilities. I care more if he's feeling that much more frustrated this year than previous years.

I don't recall hearing this very often in the past. Maybe he was just channeling it much more internally before and is more comfortable letting go now?

I do lol. Joey's always been something of an f-bombardier.

He used to get tossed for it from time to time as well, I remember it happening once or twice in his MVP year.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post

I don't think he is much different than years in the past. He got tossed 4 times in 2009 and 2010 (total, not each year). I have seen him many a time get really ticked when he strikes out or doesn't hit the ball hard. He has always been a pretty animated player at the plate when things don't go his way.

Two years ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sFD2zdx6PQ

Oh, and for good measure, Dusty himself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-VkqJP2Qjk

Perhaps Joey needs some of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I really don't care and think its funny sometimes. I do the same thing with I smash my finger or when drew Stubbs would strikeout. HOWEVER, I really don't want to have my kids dropping the F-Bomb when they have a bad at bat either.

I don't have kids and my cat knows all the swear words anyway so **** it

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I don't effing care.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Or Fug like Norman Mailer in the Naked and the Dead
    I loved Norman in Three's Company. Although how he never knew Jack Tripper was straight is beyond me - dude was always surrounded by chicks!
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    I loved Norman in Three's Company. Although how he never knew Jack Tripper was straight is beyond me - dude was always surrounded by chicks!
    My favorite episode was the one where there was some kind of misunderstanding.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

18. Likes:

OGB (05-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    An evening at the Regal Beagle always was a good time

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    I liked the one where the characters used sexual innuendo.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

21. Likes:

OGB (05-30-2013)

Turn Off Ads?