Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Votto f-bombs: Good or bad?

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: The Votto f-bombs: Good or bad?

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    My favorite episode was the one where there was some kind of misunderstanding.
    Episodes of that show would have been about 5 minutes long if everyone had had smartphones.

"Larry just texted from the Regal Beagle. Apparently, Mr. Roper is on his way over here now."
    /r/reds

2. Likes:

OGB (05-30-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Lord know, I'm not a prude. In the right context, I drop f-bombs left and right.

But the key phrase is "in the right context". Put me in a bar with a lot of guys drinking beer, boom. Put me on the golf course and I'll turn the air blue. But put me in a business meeting or a church group or a Cub Scout meeting, well, no. There are a whole lot of people that don't like cursing. My wife hates it. Certain situations dictate it. I view it as only courteous and polite to avoid swearing around them.

I just don't think its very cool for Votto to do that. There are a lot of kids watching, people like my wife or I bet a whole lot of RZ'ers that don't like it. Sure they've all heard it before, but I don't think it's good for kids to swear and for others, just because you've heard it doesn't mean its OK. The English language is rich. There are plenty of other words or just a yell will do. I'd like him to tone it down.

Pay attention to the open sky

5. Likes:

Bob Borkowski (05-30-2013), Donder (05-30-2013), HeatherC1212 (05-30-2013), kbrake (05-29-2013), Number_Fourteen (05-30-2013), Old school 1983 (05-30-2013), terminator (05-30-2013), texasdave (05-29-2013), Unassisted (05-29-2013), wlf WV (05-30-2013), _Sir_Charles_ (05-29-2013)

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Jim Eisenreich approves of this video
    I see what you did there.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    numbersinthereds.blogspot.com I actually made a post on 7/24/14. I promise.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Lord know, I'm not a prude. In the right context, I drop f-bombs left and right.

But the key phrase is "in the right context". Put me in a bar with a lot of guys drinking beer, boom. Put me on the golf course and I'll turn the air blue. But put me in a business meeting or a church group or a Cub Scout meeting, well, no. There are a whole lot of people that don't like cursing. My wife hates it. Certain situations dictate it. I view it as only courteous and polite to avoid swearing around them.

I just don't think its very cool for Votto to do that. There are a lot of kids watching, people like my wife or I bet a whole lot of RZ'ers that don't like it. Sure they've all heard it before, but I don't think it's good for kids to swear and for others, just because you've heard it doesn't mean its OK. The English language is rich. There are plenty of other words or just a yell will do. I'd like him to tone it down.
    EXACTLY where I am on it. Well put.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Ban Votto from redszone!
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    I see what you did there.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    It's funny because he has Tourette's.

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Anyone else think "The Votto F-Bombs" would be a good title for something? Maybe a punk album or an indie film?
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Ban Votto from redszone!
    Just get GABP to install RedsZone's profanity filter on the field.

"Daddy, why does that player keep screaming "asterisks" over and over?"
    /r/reds

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

True, but you are not in high-intensity situations like Votto. While you seem like a hell of a nice guy, comparing your everyday occurrences with what Votto does when he's at the plate is not apples-to-oranges ... it's apples to baboons.

The fact that he's so well spoken just solidifies the fact that he's insanely frustrated when he does it. I was a little concerned about kids hearing it at first, but I think it's okay. If you can't explain to your kids it's not a nice thing to say, that's your problem.

I curse like a sailor, but I do restrain myself around kids and coworkers. I'm not, however, getting paid ridiculous money to do my job. If Joey cares that much I think it's a good thing.

I applaud Baker.

I wonder what would be inappropriate language in public,probably something not PC.
    May the Lord bless

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Anyone else think "The Votto F-Bombs" would be a good title for something? Maybe a punk album or an indie film?
    An Alt rock band. Their debut album could be called "Strikes Out Swinging"

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    True, but you are not in high-intensity situations like Votto. While you seem like a hell of a nice guy, comparing your everyday occurrences with what Votto does when he's at the plate is not apples-to-oranges ... it's apples to baboons.
    So, is that to say all hitters react as Joey does? And, if not, is Joey simply in more high-intensity situations than other hitters, whom we may falsely perceive as "clean mouthed"? Ultimately, how he reacts is his choice. The situation needn't dictate the verbal outcome, per se. Whether one takes umbrage to it or not, it's a question of self-control & personal responsibility, regardless of the situation. Now, whether it's right or wrong, that's a different question.

Good post. While I will admit to having used blue speech myself I certainly do not approve of it, despite my own failings.
    I too don't think it is cool for Votto to do this. That said, and while I possibly disapprove of swearing even more than most here, I cannot say I am too upset by Votto's blue speech either. Votto is an extremely intense and gifted player who appears to give all he has to give, all of the time. I would gladly take ten more Vottos on the Reds if I could.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar
    If our Vice President can drop f-bombs on national TV, I'm pretty sure Votto should be allowed to as well.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Turn Off Ads?