Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: The Votto f-bombs: Good or bad?

Re: The Votto f-bombs: Good or bad?

I have no problem with Votto dropping F-bombs after striking out. The barrage he displayed the other day actually reminded me of myself after I do something stupid (this happens often).

I also do not have children, so in a couple years my opinion on the matter may change.

2. Turn Off Ads?

It's not so much that votto drops F bombs that bothers me. I fully expect cursing from athletes and at sporting events. In the heat of battle some tings just come out. I'm not a prude and I don't get offended by cussing. What bothers me about votto is the manner in which he does it and the frequency at which it occurs.

He doesn't just say it, he screams it at the top of his lungs in an usually repeated fashion. And it's not like its a once in awhile occurrence. So far this year I've heard him drop it on TV at least once a series. To me screaming profanity at the top of your lungs in a repeated fashion doesn't show much class and shades not only yourself, but the organization and city in a bad light.

And also saying he does it because he is intense and it's ok because of that seems a bit off base to me as well. There is a fine line between intensity and being out of control and over the top. I think Joey crossed that line when Ubaldo Jimenez struck him out and he went in an F bomb tirade. At a certain point you have to be able to internalize that. To repeatedly scream F at the top if your lungs is a classless move no matter how well spoken you are off the field or no matter how much you give back.

So more or less I don't find profanity when used appropriately or sparingly offensive. But when someone repeatedly does it in a very loud manner in an environment that is advertised as a family environment, then it isn't a very classy move. If he lets one loose now and then at a somewhat normal tone if he fails in a critical situation I'd live with it. But to go on tirades of F bombs after failing in not crucial situations is a bit much. Baseball is a game of failure. When someone succeeds we ask that they behave like they have been there be professional. Why can't we ask the same when someone fails. Handle it like you have been there before for the most part.

4. Likes:

Number_Fourteen (05-30-2013), smith288 (05-30-2013), terminator (05-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Good post. While I will admit to having used blue speech myself I certainly do not approve of it, despite my own failings.
    I too don't think it is cool for Votto to do this. That said, and while I possibly disapprove of swearing even more than most here, I cannot say I am too upset by Votto's blue speech either. Votto is an extremely intense and gifted player who appears to give all he has to give, all of the time. I would gladly take ten more Vottos on the Reds if I could.
    I agree. Just becausei criticize the guy doesn't mean I don't like him as a player.

Just seems that rough speech is more accepted now and I'm an old guy trying to get used to it. I'm not going to stop going to games or stop cheering for Votto, I just wish he were a little more discreet with his f-bombs. In my 60 years on this earth, I've been put in some high intensity situations and have managed to not yell "****" when something happened badly.

Pay attention to the open sky

****!

I just struck out on a claim
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I agree. Just becausei criticize the guy doesn't mean I don't like him as a player.

Just seems that rough speech is more accepted now and I'm an old guy trying to get used to it. I'm not going to stop going to games or stop cheering for Votto, I just wish he were a little more discreet with his f-bombs. In my 60 years on this earth, I've been put in some high intensity situations and have managed to not yell "****" when something happened badly.
    I certainly am not defending Votto's cursing. I don't like it and do not find it classy. I am just trying to be honest.
    Votto is a disciple of the Ted Williams approach to hitting, much to the dismay of such noted sluggers Paul Daugherty and Marty Brennaman. Teddy Ballgame in his day was also known for his profanity and worse, including spitting in the direction of the press box after he hit a HR. I wouldn't have approved of Ted's conduct either.
    That said, if someone could thaw out Ted Williams and magically make him age 27 again I would love to put him in leftfield for the Reds, cursing and and spitting. Of course Dusty's head might explode as he tried to separate Choo and Votto and Bruce and Teddy Ballgame in the batting order, breaking up the lefties.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Just started watching the game tonight to hear that Votto has flown out twice with men on base. Any megacursing?

Joey has clearly been spending too much time on Xbox Live.

The stomping and multiple F-bombs are a bit much, wonder what Fox thinks?

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    The stomping and multiple F-bombs are a bit much, wonder what Fox thinks?
    I bet they're glad the games are on cable, rather than broadcast, where they might be subject to fines from an FCC that still chose to enforce that rule.
    /r/reds

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

He hasn't been the same since called on them, has he?

Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Turn Off Ads?