Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why are there so few redheads in MLB?

Why are there so few redheads in MLB?

Jerry Crasnick just wrote an interesting, albeit often tongue-in-cheek, look at the scarcity of guys like me in MLB:

"Is it because the parts of world where red-headed people typically come from don't play baseball as much and it's not part of the culture? I don't know the answer to that. Is it because they're fair-skinned and not as durable under the sun? I've heard all kinds of crazy theories. I haven't done anything to verify any of them, to be honest with you. But it certainly is an interesting topic."
    "There's a need for more redheaded big league ballplayers," Hudler says. "Or how about just people? We just need more redheads. I was a little bit hurt when my wife's genes dominated my four kids. I've got one blond, three with brown hair and no redheads. It took me a few years to get over that. But it's like my wife told me -- 'Hud, God made them. You didn't have anything to do with that.'"
    Also, Andy Dalton says "hi."
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why are there so few redheads in MLB?

4. Likes:

RedEye (05-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Jerry Crasnick just wrote an interesting, albeit often tongue-in-cheek, look at the scarcity of guys like me in MLB
    Heard about this on Baseball Tonight.

Pretty funny. The redhead stuff was clearly tongue in cheek, but there was also some talk about players with weak chins (bad) and players with slumped shoulders (good).

6. Likes:

RedEye (05-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Rock of Truth View Post
    Whatever his hair color, I find this card profoundly disturbing.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

I might add that Reds gear is VERY difficult to find successfully when you are a redhead. The crimson of the home team makes my already rosy complexion look like its literally on fire (see poor Ron Robinson above). I did successfully find a snazzy, simple black Reds shirt the other day from '47 Brand. Was very excited about that since black goes better with the ginger.

Ginger Beumont endorses Jerry's column

Redheads can't handle the heat, according to Dusty.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...07-baker_x.htm
    Last edited by Beltway; 05-29-2013 at 04:03 PM.

11. Likes:

George Anderson (05-29-2013)

Well, if there are between 5-15 redheads in MLB it would be right about the world average.

Because they don't have buoyancy?
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

"Ginger"

Yea or Nay, Redeye?

15. Likes:

coachpipe (05-29-2013), JB12 (05-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Ginger Beumont endorses Jerry's column
    Thanks, woy. Thanks to you and wikipedia, I now know about Ginger Beaumont and that he was a rare MLB redhead who was also speedy. In fact, he had SIX infield singles in ONE GAME!

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    "Ginger"

Yea or Nay, Redeye?
    I can't presume to speak for all of my people, but it doesn't bother me as long as it is said in a kind manner. Of course, I can always say it without worrying about offending anyone. :-)

Soulless Gingers shouldn't be allowed on a baseball field
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

19. Likes:

coachpipe (05-29-2013), MikeThierry (05-29-2013)

"Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao4fwjrmci4

I like this one

Turn Off Ads?