Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: 5/29/13 Reds v. Indians - same teams, different ballpark

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: 5/29/13 Reds v. Indians - same teams, different ballpark

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Read my post before this one you made. Think BIG PICTURE. Robinson & Lutz are splitting time with Paul in LF. All three are getting pretty regular opportunities. Mesoraco is splitting time with Hanny and is also getting plenty of reps. Jack....not so much. He needs reps too. Seemed like a prime opportunity to do so tonight. Not a mistake, a planned decision with reasoning behind it that looks globally and not at ONE GAME. Not as plain and simple as you might think.
    I can dig it. This is the first reasonable explanation I've heard.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Don't trust KC to hold a 2-1 lead against the Cardinals. Even when they lose...they barely lose games at all. It's mind boggling.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Don't trust KC to hold a 2-1 lead against the Cardinals. Even when they lose...they barely lose games at all. It's mind boggling.
    Beltran with nice sliding catch to keep the KC lead one run. Royals had two men on.

I agree with you, Tony, Cards are at home and it's hard to see this one run holding up. But we can hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Beltran with nice sliding catch to keep the KC lead one run. Royals had two men on.

I agree with you, Tony, Cards are at home and it's hard to see this one run holding up. But we can hope.
    Wait a minute? Is he not a statue in RF?? Every time someone points out "regressions" and "bad defense"....the Cardinals do things to say BS to the argument. What regression can there be when you have a bunch of rookies and 2nd year players...who you do not know how good they actually are?

Having said that... The Reds are not exactly getting blown out of their losses. 2 of them should have never happened and the first one in Philly was just some bad luck bounces in the 8th.

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    No manager in baseball would pass up a single player on his bench, let alone his entire bench to DH a pitcher.
    There was every reason to assume that Hannahan might have success playing in the park he spent the last two seasons in.
    "Every reason." Except his OPS, things of that nature.

Arroyo has five losses.

Cueto, Cingrani, Leake, Latos, and Bailey have five losses total between them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Arroyo has five losses.

Yep, wins and losses are a great way of measuring pitchers.

(Nope.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Arroyo has five losses.

Terrible, agenda driven use of stats (and a disputed stat at that). If you don't want to re-sign BA, that is fine (he will be pricey), but you don't have to drag him over the coals to prove your point.

Players who have the same (or more losses) as Arroyo.

Hamels
    Shields
    Strasburg
    Burnett
    Dickey
    Samarjizja
    Loshe
    Gallardo
    Cahill

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Seems like we can never get away from the W/L thing with pitchers.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Terrible, agenda driven use of stats (and a disputed stat at that). If you don't want to re-sign BA, that is fine (he will be pricey), but you don't have to drag him over the coals to prove your point.

Players who have the same (or more losses) as Arroyo.

Hamels
    Shields
    Strasburg
    Burnett
    Dickey
    Samarjizja
    Loshe
    Gallardo
    Cahill
    You missed my point.

Name another team where one Starter has as many losses as all the other Starters combined. This late into the season, it's a rare thing to see. Not advocating wins/losses as a way of measuring a pitchers effectiveness here. Just pointing out an extremely rare stat showing itself this late in the season.

Why is it that that everyone and their brother knows how fast Arroyo is capable of losing it, except Dusty Baker? He almost always leaves him in too long. He gave up back to back two hits in the 6th and another lefty was coming up, why leave him in to face Giambi? Made no sense to me, but I shouldn't be surprised by now.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Why is it that that everyone and their brother knows how fast Arroyo is capable of losing it, except Dusty Baker? He almost always leaves him in too long. He gave up back to back two hits in the 6th and another lefty was coming up, why leave him in to face Giambi? Made no sense to me, but I shouldn't be surprised by now.
    I think he was around 75 pitch count at that point and already had 2 outs in the inning. I agree that it was obvious Arroyo had lost it but I am sure a reliever was not ready at that point. Of course, Dusty could have somebody warming up at the start of the inning, but Arroyo was pitching well to that point.

I do not think the culprit for this loss is Dusty or Arroyo, the offense failed with many runners on base 3 out of 4 innings with 0 or 1 out.

I also do not think the Reds are capable of going undefeated and losses happen. Pitchers are going to have bad innings (even though it doesn't seem like it with this rotation), Hitters are going to hit into double plays and fail with runners on. The Reds are winning way more than they are losing.

Turn Off Ads?