DH: Jason Giambi
    C: Carlos Santana
    3B: Mark Reynolds
    LF: Michael Brantley
    RF: Drew Stubbs
    SP: Justin Masterson

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 5/29/13 Reds v. Indians - same teams, different ballpark

Is Santana going to stick at catcher? He's pretty poor back there and has maybe cost the indians both games this series with his gaffes.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Is Santana going to stick at catcher? He's pretty poor back there and has maybe cost the indians both games this series with his gaffes.
    I think he will. He's got some good tools back there. I've seen him look outstanding at times. And then flat out foolish at other times. Concentration / focus issue at work maybe?

The question for Santana comes in the form of his defense. He’s athletic and agile behind the dish, but unrefined. HIs arm is strong but will lack accuracy, though his CS% improved significantly after he was traded from LA to Cleveland. His receiving skills are improving, but there is still work to do, especially on blocking balls in the dirt.
    His arm is very good and he's a good blocker. But his receiving skills are terrible. And pitchers do not like throwing to him. The Indians have acknowledged these weaknesses.

"He has above average skills when it comes to catching and throwing," Ross Atkins, Indians Director of Player Development, told The Cleveland Plain Dealer prior to the 2009 season. "He still needs to refine his receiving skills, his game calling ability and his ability to lead a pitching staff."

A good receiver will catch the ball where it's thrown and hold it there. Poor receivers drop balls and move the ball after they catch it, taking away from the odds of the pitch being called a strike. Elite receivers have soft hands and are smooth and balanced behind the dish. Receiving is basically catching the ball. Guys who don't catch the ball well typically aren't above-average defensive catchers -- basic enough, right?

I believe that just about anyone can learn to call a good game. Some guys have a knack for it and others take time to learn. If I'm a pitcher and I'm having trouble communicating with my catcher, I'm frustrated. He's supposed to make me look good.

So are Santana's current defensive weaknesses going to force him to move off the position? I Doubt it.

But I wouldn't be shocked if he moves back to third base. And he may be a below-average catcher in the bigs. That said, you can't teach someone to throw as well as he does. His arm is definitely above-average. He's pretty coordinated, too. So all-in-all, Santana has a solid chance of becoming an average defensive catcher -- he is still new to the position.
    2 scouting reports btw. Reps can only help at this stage IMO.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 05-29-2013 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    DH: Jack Hannahan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDGlN6mluGA
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

6. Likes:

MBZags (05-29-2013),TSJ55 (05-29-2013)

If they are going to dh Hannahan, I think they should have at least DH'd Choo and put Robinson in CF.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

How does it make sense to DH Hannahan when he is a better fielder than Frazier?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Nay. I figured Dusty had the need, the need for speed. Robinson Speed.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CUpwLhZh66A

Wow, you have a DH spot available, and Choo is in CF.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    How does it make sense to DH Hannahan when he is a better fielder than Frazier?
    I guess because Frazier had a day off yesterday, and Frasier is not a butcher, Dusty is just giving Todd a little bit of respect.

Same for not DHing Choo.

Dusty is big on having confidence in his players. It kind of sends the wrong message to DH a guy to slightly optimize the defense (in Dusty's mind).

Not saying this is the right way or wrong way, but I'm guessing that's the reasoning.

Plus, you got to figure that Frazier and Choo are going to be playing the field in the playoffs. Might as well give them all the reps possible.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

This is to give Hannahan some at bats, particularly against his former team in his former ballpark.

Dusty said last night that he wanted to give Hannahan two games in a row to give him some playing time.

If he had an obvious DH choice, he would have used him. He doesn't so Dusty is using the opportunity to use Hannahan, a good backup player who hasn't had much time this year.

I agree with Redread on why Frazier is playing third and Hannahan DH, rather than switching them.

The much more interesting question is who Dusty uses tomorrow against a lefty, since his only righty bats on the bench will be Izturis (switch hitter) and Mesoraco (backup catcher).

This has seemingly been Dusty's MO when playing w/ the DH. He typically uses his regulars where they would typically play, rather than sliding a regular to the DH role and allowing a better defender to man that guys position.

My guess in his thinking is that his decision has little to do with "hurting a guys feelings" that he might put a better defender in at that spot for a game, this are not little kids, I think they can handle it for a game here and there, but rather that baseball is a repetative game and I've heard more than 1 regular complain about hard it is to DH, sitting on the bench for an inning or 2 at a time, getting 1 at bat, then sitting back on the bench for another inning or 2. Dusty likes to have his guys play their usual role, have them in their comfort zone, for better or worse.

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    Wow, you have a DH spot available, and Choo is in CF.
    I think Choo has looked better in CF lately -- not Eric Davis better though --- and he should know the outfield there as well as anyone on the team
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

I saw all of the comments and thought the game must have started early.

The quest to secure the Ohio Cup begins tonight! I have $10 riding on this series with my Indians fan roommate.

With all those tough lefties this lineup is quite the challenge for Bronson. Out of all 4 games with Cleveland this the pitching matchup I like least.

18. Likes:

ochoa30 (05-29-2013)

Turn Off Ads?