Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Red of the past 20 Years?

Best Red of the past 20 Years?

On one of our first podcasts we discussed replacing a current starter with any Reds player from the past 20 years. This eliminates any Big Red Machine era guys, along with anyone in their heyday on the 1990 team. I think the obvious choice is Barry Larking to replace Cozart. There was some love for Eric Davis as well, although his best years were prior to 1993. Sean Casey was pretty good, but you're not going to replace Votto with him. What do you guys think?

www.theblownlead.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Best Red of the past 20 Years?

Are we talking a certain year for the player, or the years the person was a Red from 1993 to 2013? Larkin for sure.

I would think there has to be some love for Adam Dunn...
    8 yrs .247 BA .380 OB .900 OPS 270 HR 646 RBI

Aaron Boone?
    7 yrs .271 BA .334 OBP .785 OPS 86 HR 362 RBI

Maybe...Benito Santiago? and/or Greg Vaughn?

I would love Arthur Rhodes for the bullpen.

Don Cameron
    I like big butts

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cameron View Post
    Are we talking a certain year for the player, or the years the person was a Red from 1993 to 2013? Larkin for sure.

I would think there has to be some love for Adam Dunn...
    8 yrs .247 BA .380 OB .900 OPS 270 HR 646 RBI

Aaron Boone?
    7 yrs .271 BA .334 OBP .785 OPS 86 HR 362 RBI

Maybe...Benito Santiago? and/or Greg Vaughn?

I would love Arthur Rhodes for the bullpen.

Don Cameron
    I like big butts
    What was their popup/strikeout to homerun/walk ratio?

And I am sure this is sacrilege....If we go back to the Big Red Machine....

I would take Votto over Perez
    I would take the 2012 and 2013 starting STAFFS over ANY Reds starting STAFFS post WW2.

I would keep Chapman as the closer, but recognize that our closers have been pretty darn good since the mid-1970's.

One change I would make though... I would protect Hoffman from getting drafted by the Marlins in the expansion draft and had him closing over 600 games as a Red.

Don Cameron
    Lover of fine art

Although my father might vehemently disagree, I would take Votto over Perez anyday. That's not taking anything away from Perez, but Votto is just that good, and I don't think he's touched his ceiling yet.

I was a huge Adam Dunn guy, but I really can't see taking him over Larkin.

How about Josh Hamilton? Granted his best years were in Texas, but can you imagine him and Votto back to back?

If I had to put one player from the past 20 years on this current team it'd be Greg Vaughn. He's play left. Add leadership. Bat clean up. Hit with power and drive in runs. That's no disrespect to Barry Larkin at all. I really consider him the second greatest SS of all time but I think Vaughn could do more for this current team than Barry. In a perfect world I'd add them both. Lol

8. Likes:

TheBlownLead (05-31-2013)

And I am sure this is sacrilege....If we go back to the Big Red Machine....

I would take Votto over Perez
    I would take the 2012 and 2013 starting STAFFS over ANY Reds starting STAFFS post WW2.

I would keep Chapman as the closer, but recognize that our closers have been pretty darn good since the mid-1970's.

One change I would make though... I would protect Hoffman from getting drafted by the Marlins in the expansion draft and had him closing over 600 games as a Red.

Don Cameron
    Lover of fine art
    I don't think that's sacrilege. I'd take votto and put Perez at third. I agree completely about the pitching staff as a whole, but I think the 1990 pen at the back end was a bit better. The only staff I could think of to compare may be the 39 or 40 staff with Walters and derringer but that's pre WWII.

kevin mitchell from 1994. Heck I might even take 94 mitchell over 2010 votto

11. Likes:

krm1580 (05-31-2013),Old school 1983 (05-31-2013)

For a Level Playing Field

I would take Votto over Perez.

I guess we had better put Joey in Cooperstown right now!

Lord. I know you are new here (and welcome). Never ever make any kind of reference to Danny Graves being pretty darn good on this forum. Not on RedsZone! That is more sacrilege than saying Joey is better than the a former REDS Hall-of-Famer.

Has to be Larkin or Votto. Since Larkin has already punched his ticket to Cooperstown I will go with him.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Graves was a two time all-star. It's not like he was Tom Hume.

Graves was a two time all-star. It's not like he was Tom Hume.
    Hume was an AS himself in 1982.

Graves is a long time running joke on this board. I am kinda out of the loop exactly what it is about.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Larkin to replace Cozart, hands down. That would instantly make the Reds the WS favorites.

Barry Larkin

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    If I had to put one player from the past 20 years on this current team it'd be Greg Vaughn. He's play left. Add leadership. Bat clean up. Hit with power and drive in runs. That's no disrespect to Barry Larkin at all. I really consider him the second greatest SS of all time but I think Vaughn could do more for this current team than Barry. In a perfect world I'd add them both. Lol
    Vaughn and his 45 HR and 881 OPS are a consideration, but Larkin's 1996 with 33HR, 36SB, and 410 OBP would look great in the 2 hole.
    Grumpy Jr's inaugural season as a Red with 40 HR, a 946 OPS, and gold glove defense has to be a close second.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Turn Off Ads?