Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Red of the past 20 Years?

Re: Best Red of the past 20 Years?

I know Barry Larkin is the popular answer but props to Hatcher on 1994 Kevin Mitchell.

Larkin would be a great fit in the 2 hole on this team but I would rather move Phillps back to the #2 spot and put Kevin Mitchell and his sweet .429/.681/1.110 slash in the clean up spot.

I know 1994 was strike season but if you take his numbers out over a full season you are looking at a 50 HR bat hitting .326 in the cleanup spot.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Kevin Mitchell in 1994 hit the ball harder than anyone I have seen with the Reds. I can remember him just crushing rising line drives that would bounce off the concrete facade below the green seats and bounce back almost to the infield.

You put 1994 Kevin Mitchell in the 4 hole and this lineup is just awesome.

I would have to go with Larkin. Only HoF for the Reds in the last 20 yrs. excluding Griffey who will go in as a Mariner. Larkin is versatile in the batting order and having him and Phillips up the middle is pure gold.

Add me to those who would take Votto over Perez.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

Barry Larkin followed by Joey Votto.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

If I could add one Reds player from the last 20 years to the 2013 Reds it would be Barry Larkin for the reasons others have posted.
    Best Red of the last 20 years is a tossup between Larkin and Joey Votto.
    While Votto has not (yet) compiled a HOF worthy career, for peak value I would take Votto over Tony Perez or any other first baseman in Reds history, including Klu.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

EMAW

Larkin more premium position, but Votto overtakes a game almost like Bonds. Forces pitchers to work differently to him than anyone else.

HOther than the obvious trading of Cozart for '95 Larkin... Heisey for pre- injury, year 2000 Griffey. .271/.387/.556. 40 HR? Yes, please.

Move Choo so our OF would be Choo/Griffey/Bruce. BP back to the two hole and the kid bats cleanup. Choo/BP/Joey/Junior/Bruce. That is an amazing lineup right there. You could only allow the Reds two outs every inning and you're still going to win some games with the runs that will produce.

Although Larkin to Phillips would be a legendary double play combination. Possibly three gold glovers in the infield.

Or maybe the best move would be anyone for Parra. Seriously. Parra for Schotzie. Hell, how about Parra, Heisey and Izturis to have Joe back in the booth?
    Last edited by joshua; 06-02-2013 at 03:28 AM.

Am very surprised that only one person has mentioned this one fellow of which I speak. Yes, Larkin is an obvious choice at SS, given his HOF credentials (great avg and great defense). But if we are speaking in knowing that Ludwick would be injured, Griffey Jr from 2000 or 2005 would be a hard guy not to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMemphis View Post
    Am very surprised that only one person has mentioned this one fellow of which I speak. Yes, Larkin is an obvious choice at SS, given his HOF credentials (great avg and great defense). But if we are speaking in knowing that Ludwick would be injured, Griffey Jr from 2000 or 2005 would be a hard guy not to consider.
    2000 maybe. Once he hurt his hammy, he was about the worst defensive player I've ever seen. He's not the upgrade that Larkin would be.

With Marshall hurting and the dearth of lefty arms, I might be tempted to take Jeremy Affeldt or Arthur Rhodes. Rhodes was pretty awesome in 2009 and 2010. Still, Larkin is the obvious choice IMO.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMemphis View Post
    Griffey was hurt nearly the entire time he was in Cincy. I wouldn't ever consider him because he was well past his prime and couldn't stay healthy.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by hatcher View Post
    kevin mitchell from 1994. Heck I might even take 94 mitchell over 2010 votto
    I still think I have to take Larkin. But 1994 Mitchell was a complete oversight when this discussion started. Props on that one. Mitchell and his .681 SLG from that season would be pretty awesome batting cleanup with Choo and Votto on base in nearly half their at bats.

I don't want a strike, so '94 Mitchell is out.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

By Position, here is my All-Reds team of the last 20 years (1993-2013):

Here's a link for help deciding: http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CIN/pos.shtml

C - Oliver
    1B - Votto
    2B - Phillips
    SS - Larkin
    3B - Boone
    LF - Dunn
    CF - Griffey, Jr.
    RF - Bruce

SP - Cueto
    SP - Latos
    SP - Bailey
    SP - Arroyo
    SP - Rijo

CL - Chapman
    BP - Sullivan
    BP - Williamson
    BP - Lecure
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

16. Likes:

TheBlownLead (06-07-2013)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    By Position, here is my All-Reds team of the last 20 years (1993-2013):

Here's a link for help deciding: http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CIN/pos.shtml

C - Oliver
    1B - Votto
    2B - Phillips
    SS - Larkin
    3B - Boone
    LF - Dunn
    CF - Griffey, Jr.
    RF - Bruce

SP - Cueto
    SP - Latos
    SP - Bailey
    SP - Arroyo
    SP - Rijo

CL - Chapman
    BP - Sullivan
    BP - Williamson
    BP - Lecure

Agree with almost all of those. Maybe Taubensee over Oliver at catcher?
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Turn Off Ads?