Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Braves DFA Juan Francisco

Re: Braves DFA Juan Francisco

J.Francisco is a borderline major-leaguer with power. By dealing him, we deepened our bullpen and open up space for Frazier. I don't miss him at all on this team, he was EE 2.0. All potential, little realization. I wish him the best and he'll be able to start on most teams, the Braves have some great depth right now.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Trajinous View Post
    J.Francisco is a borderline major-leaguer with power. By dealing him, we deepened our bullpen and open up space for Frazier. I don't miss him at all on this team, he was EE 2.0. All potential, little realization. I wish him the best and he'll be able to start on most teams, the Braves have some great depth right now.
    You mean the guy that hit 42 home runs last year and walked about as often as he struck out? Francisco's K:BB ratio is in Wily Mo Pena territory.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Rack, wolfboy. How awesome would it be to have EE 1.0 right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    Where would you play EdE? Not third base that's for sure. He mainly DH's or plays first for the Jays. No DH in the NL and that Votto guy is pretty good at first base.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Pass, he has power but is a loser in other aspects of the game.

Francisco is one of those guys who can have a brief streak at the plate until pitchers then remember, "Oh yeah, he swings at everything." Then he becomes useless.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Where would you play EdE? Not third base that's for sure. He mainly DH's or plays first for the Jays. No DH in the NL and that Votto guy is pretty good at first base.
    I agree. Don't want him, nowhere to play him, but I don't equate Francisco with EE. The poster above said EE was all potential with no realization and that's not the case.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

EE was so much better than Francisco has ever been it isn't even funny.

10. Likes:

Revering4Blue (05-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    EE was so much better than Francisco has ever been it isn't even funny.
    EE was a throw in when the Reds traded for Scott Rolen. The Reds fans couldn't wait for him to go. He then got waived by Toronto, was ultimately picked up again by Toronto. Then he started hitting home runs.

EE was prone to these long slumps, plus his throwing was so bad that it "isn't even funny."

But EE does prove one thing. He proves that the snap judgments we form about players don't always hold true.

EE, I recall, never hit many homers in the minors. He was a doubles hitter. Nobody projected that he would be a slugger. But with time, patiences, a few bumps along the way, ultimately he persevered.

Francisco didn't do that badly for the Braves, his last month was poor, they had no room for him, decided to go in a different direction at third with a more productive candidate.

JF will have other chances.

As will so many other young players who are written off around here. Like Zack Cozart. Like Mike Leake. Like so many others.

12. Likes:

Always Red (05-31-2013),Revering4Blue (05-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    You mean the guy that hit 42 home runs last year and walked about as often as he struck out? Francisco's K:BB ratio is in Wily Mo Pena territory.
    Yeah, it took EE 8 years to put together a good year and that was after they moved him to DH and a different league. Let's see what Juan Franscisco does in 5 years. That comment made it sound like EE was a consistently good player.

The Reds don't have time now to wait for potential players like that. They have no business being on this team. I'm glad we are trending away from these power-first type players and going for more all-around players.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    EE was a throw in when the Reds traded for Scott Rolen. The Reds fans couldn't wait for him to go. He then got waived by Toronto, was ultimately picked up again by Toronto. Then he started hitting home runs.

EE was prone to these long slumps, plus his throwing was so bad that it "isn't even funny."

But EE does prove one thing. He proves that the snap judgments we form about players don't always hold true.

EE, I recall, never hit many homers in the minors. He was a doubles hitter. Nobody projected that he would be a slugger. But with time, patiences, a few bumps along the way, ultimately he persevered.

Francisco didn't do that badly for the Braves, his last month was poor, they had no room for him, decided to go in a different direction at third with a more productive candidate.

JF will have other chances.

As will so many other young players who are written off around here. Like Zack Cozart. Like Mike Leake. Like so many others.
    EE posted a .262/.345/.449 line as a Red. He posted a 103 OPS+. Juan Francisco has a career .299 OBP.

EE had projection in him. No one saw 40+ HR power, but plenty saw 25-30. Frankly, I don't even care what he did once he left here. EE as a Red had a career that was so much better than anything Juan Francisco has done it isn't even funny. Francisco is a terrible batter. Both guys suck on defense.

15. Likes:

reds44 (05-31-2013)

Yeah, it took EE 8 years to put together a good year and that was after they moved him to DH and a different league. Let's see what Juan Franscisco does in 5 years. That comment made it sound like EE was a consistently good player.

The Reds don't have time now to wait for potential players like that. They have no business being on this team. I'm glad we are trending away from these power-first type players and going for more all-around players.
    Francisco is 26. He still sucks. When EE was 26 he was an above-average Major League hitter. Huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Average middle relievers are a dime a dozen. You can find them anywhere. They have no value.

If you think Hoover has any sort of real value, you're overvaluing your own.
    Let's accept your premise that Hoover is only an "average" reliever (one I disagree with, as Hoover is more talented than most 'average' guys). You're still mistaken they are a dime a dozen. Replacement guys are dime a dozen. Those are the guys you can find anywhere because usually you have someone in AAA that can be called up to give replacement value. Replacement value and "average" are not the same.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Let's see what Juan Franscisco does in 5 years.
    FrancisKo will be out of baseball in 5 years.

FrancisKo will be out of baseball in 5 years.
    He makes Willie Greene look like Mickey Mantle, he was out when he was 28

Turn Off Ads?