Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nick Travieso promoted to Dayton

Re: Nick Travieso promoted to Dayton

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Romano is going on the D.L.

Stephenson tonight...Good Lord. You talk about completely overmatching a lineup. He could have easily reached his pitch limit without allowing a base runner. Hitters had zero chance. He was throwing fastballs by people, then breaking their backs on off-speed. It was like a man among boys. South Bend was leading the league in hitting and had scored 20 runs over the previous two games, and had won 10 straight until tonight.
    He probably heard Walt was there and wanted to impress.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (06-03-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Passing up Wacha BC of Travieso will come back to haunt Jocketty and the Reds for the next decade. Imagine Wacha and Cingrani sitting in AAA waiting.

If anyone wants to argue semantics, that's fine, but the only point I was trying to make was that I don't think you promote a guy to A+ who is 2 years removed from HS and has only 87 IP at low A.
    I think you give him at least 4 more starts. If he keeps pitching this well send him to the Cal league.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by Red Swagger View Post
    Passing up Wacha BC of Travieso will come back to haunt Jocketty and the Reds for the next decade.
    I'll believe it once Ryan Wright, Brodie Greene, and Sean Buckley put up the "monster" seasons you predicted.

7. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (06-01-2013)

Passing up Wacha BC of Travieso will come back to haunt Jocketty and the Reds for the next decade. Imagine Wacha and Cingrani sitting in AAA waiting.
    So you think Travieso has no chance to succeed and you have Wacha dominating? You really think it is going to haunt them for a decade? It could, but I hope not.

Remember how much better the Trevor Bauer pick looked over Gerritt Cole at times. Things change quickly, especially when pitchers advance.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

It is awfully early to think anything like this.

10. Likes:

nmculbreth (05-31-2013),Tommyjohn25 (05-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It is awfully early to think anything like this.
    Nope, knee jerk reactions are the standard around here these days. I'd give him credit for almost waiting a full year after the draft to state something like this. Of course it has taken early success from one of them to make this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Stephenson just obliterated that lineup. I've seen about all I need to see of him in a Dragons uniform.
    A lineup that had won 10 in a row to boot.

I was at the game Sal Romano pitched and that liner that hit him in the foot was scalded. Not surprised he had to go to the DL.

Seems a little early to compare a 22 year old college pitcher Mike Wacha to a 19 year old high school pitcher Travieso, less than a year into their pro careers.

Wacha was much like Leake considered close to ready out of college and as a #3 at best rotation arm. Travieso's upside is higher but his floor could be lower, thats the risk you take with a high school arm vs college arm.

Far to early to predict 3 years down the road let alone 10.

14. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (05-31-2013),Benihana (05-31-2013),LoganBuck (05-31-2013)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Stephenson just obliterated that lineup. I've seen about all I need to see of him in a Dragons uniform.
    Is Stephenson ready? I'm a firm believer that when a pitcher is ready to pitch in the majors, he's ready. (A hitter, not so much.) Could he be ready to pitch in Cincinnati if called upon?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Is Stephenson ready? I'm a firm believer that when a pitcher is ready to pitch in the majors, he's ready. (A hitter, not so much.) Could he be ready to pitch in Cincinnati if called upon?
    I've only seen him once, so I can't speak for his consistency at all, but that start would have played anywhere IMO. If he keeps throwing like this, we're gonna be waiting for him to build up his innings more than anything else.

Anyone know when Travieso's first start is?

Anyone know when Travieso's first start is?
    Monday night

Quote Originally Posted by indy_dave00 View Post
    Seems a little early to compare a 22 year old college pitcher Mike Wacha to a 19 year old high school pitcher Travieso, less than a year into their pro careers.

Wacha was much like Leake considered close to ready out of college and as a #3 at best rotation arm. Travieso's upside is higher but his floor could be lower, thats the risk you take with a high school arm vs college arm.

Far to early to predict 3 years down the road let alone 10.
    Would it not had been more prudent though to take someone who could be ready quicker...since either Bailey or Latos .....unless they score big on a new TV contract...might not be resign-able?

I'll believe it once Ryan Wright, Brodie Greene, and Sean Buckley put up the "monster" seasons you predicted.
    Well said. Talk about drafting players with low upside.

Travieso's start tonight (at home against Lake County) is so eagerly and curiously awaited that I wondered what the expectation might be among the ranks here. I'll go with this:

5 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 5 K.

21. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (06-05-2013)

Turn Off Ads?