Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nick Travieso promoted to Dayton

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Nick Travieso promoted to Dayton

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    For sure.

Still, though, I have to say I'm not sure what's there to recommend him other than that he got drafted in the first round. When you see the swings they were getting on his fastball tonight, I really have to wonder -- even more so than before. It actually reminded me a little of Colorado hitting off Villarreal a week or two ago.

I don't like saying stuff like this about a ballyhooed Reds prospect, and I hope he lights it up in the second half, I really do.
    If this was the only time you have seen him pitch, I can see where you are coming from. But just remember, you saw him pitch on the worst day he has had as a pro and it lasted for what, 2 innings?

He needs to improve, but the flashes are there. Has thrown upper 90's this season. Has flashed a good slider this season. Has flashed a decent change up this season.

2. Turn Off Ads?

He needs to improve, but the flashes are there. Has thrown upper 90's this season. Has flashed a good slider this season. Has flashed a decent change up this season.
    I'm keeping the faith. Hope to get a chance to see him again.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Upper 90's on his fastball, but does it have movement on it?

Speed without movement can equate to a batting tee.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Upper 90's on his fastball, but does it have movement on it?

Speed without movement can equate to a batting tee.
    Doesn't sit upper 90's.

Nice(ish) rebound for Travieso tonight: 5IP, 1ER, 3H, 3BB, 2K. He still doesn't strike guys out, but he is young, and playing decent.

7. Likes:

REDREAD (06-26-2013)

I am not worried about Nick. When they drafted him they knew he was very rough with little mileage which was actually one of his attractions. So...I am more concerned that he has the raw arm to work with (check...appears so)...that his mechanics are sound (Doug?) and that he displays at least rudimentary command (check ...doesn't appear to be at all Ravin like wild). Next year I'll start looking for more progress and refinement than those basics. Whether he has some bad outings this year at his age and experience seems imnaterial. Patience is overused with some prospects but with this one I think it is a perfect word to use.

9. Likes:

dougdirt (06-26-2013),Old school 1983 (06-28-2013),Tom Servo (06-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I am not worried about Nick. When they drafted him they knew he was very rough with little mileage which was actually one of his attractions. So...I am more concerned that he has the raw arm to work with (check...appears so)...that his mechanics are sound (Doug?) and that he displays at least rudimentary command (check ...doesn't appear to be at all Ravin like wild). Next year I'll start looking for more progress and refinement than those basics. Whether he has some bad outings this year at his age and experience seems imnaterial. Patience is overused with some prospects but with this one I think it is a perfect word to use.
    Don't necessarily disagree, but I think K's are a big indicator of raw arm talent (not necessarily polish or refinement). The fact that he's not striking anybody out is a bit concerning.
    Go BLUE!!!

11. Likes:

Billy Hamilton's Legs (06-27-2013),lollipopcurve (06-26-2013),OnBaseMachine (06-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Don't necessarily disagree, but I think K's are a big indicator of raw arm talent (not necessarily polish or refinement). The fact that he's not striking anybody out is a bit concerning.
    Doesn't just plain, old velocity tell you that? I'd agree his K numbers are less than encouraging, but I don't think that necessarily paints a great picture about his raw arm strength and long term potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Doesn't just plain, old velocity tell you that? I'd agree his K numbers are less than encouraging, but I don't think that necessarily paints a great picture about his raw arm strength and long term potential.
    No - K's incorporate movement on pitches. Doesn't matter (and likely won't ever matter) if you can throw 95 MPH if it's straight as an arrow.

Guys like Kyle Lotzkar who have a lot of raw talent but couldn't ever harness control/command etc. (partially due to injuries) did and still do strike out a lot of batters. Carlos Marmol would be the big league example of that.
    Go BLUE!!!

No - K's incorporate movement on pitches. Doesn't matter (and likely won't ever matter) if you can throw 95 MPH if it's straight as an arrow.

Guys like Kyle Lotzkar who have a lot of raw talent but couldn't ever harness control/command etc. (partially due to injuries) did and still do strike out a lot of batters. Carlos Marmol would be the big league example of that.
    Either way, there's more to striking out batters than having a good arm. Without actually watching him pitch, I think it's a big jump to say he doesn't have the arm to succeed. Especially this early.

Either way, there's more to striking out batters than having a good arm. Without actually watching him pitch, I think it's a big jump to say he doesn't have the arm to succeed. Especially this early.
    Who said he doesn't have the arm to succeed?

All I said was if he continues with his current K rate, it may be a bit concerning.

There were some questions around whether the Reds overdrafted Travieso when they selected him 14th overall in 2012. In his (admittedly very) brief professional career, he has done nothing to dispel those suspicions [much like fellow 2012 draftee Jeff Gelalich and 2011 draftee Gabriel Rosa].

If and/or when Travieso begins to strike people out, that could all change on a dime.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-26-2013 at 08:02 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Who said he doesn't have the arm to succeed?
    I think K's are a big indicator of raw arm talent
    I kind of took this for meaning he didn't have the arm to succeed.

All I said was if he continues with his current K rate, it may be a bit concerning.
    Agreed to some extent, but as long as the pieces are still there that caught Buckley's eye in the first place (big arm, decent control, etc), I'm not gonna get too hung up on his K rates yet. Guy definitely wasn't drafted as a quick riser.

I kind of took this for meaning he didn't have the arm to succeed.

Agreed to some extent, but as long as the pieces are still there that caught Buckley's eye in the first place (big arm, decent control, etc), I'm not gonna get too hung up on his K rates yet. Guy definitely wasn't drafted as a quick riser.
    The last 3 HS arms the Reds took in the first round (Stephenson, Lotzkar, and Bailey) all had K/9 rates over 10 pitching in Dayton the year after they were drafted.

Travieso's is currently half of that number (and wasn't much higher last year in the AZL). It's obviously very early still, but something to monitor nonetheless.

(That's saying nothing of the 5.14 career ERA and 1.47 WHIP - not as important as the K's for a developing arm, but still...)

There is obviously not a huge sample size to go on, but there is no WAY Travieso ranks ahead of Winker or Ervin on my prospect rankings.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-26-2013 at 10:30 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

The last 3 HS arms the Reds took in the first round (Stephenson, Lotzkar, and Bailey) all had K/9 rates over 10 pitching in Dayton the year after they were drafted.

Travieso's is currently half of that number (and wasn't much higher last year in the AZL). It's obviously very early still, but something to monitor nonetheless.

(That's saying nothing of the 5.14 career ERA and 1.47 WHIP - not as important as the K's for a developing arm, but still...)

There is obviously not a huge sample size to go on, but there is no WAY Travieso ranks ahead of Winker or Ervin on my prospect rankings.
    The previous three guys were also much more experienced pitchers coming out of high school too. Homer Bailey led his team to the Texas state title as a starting pitcher as a freshman in high school. Nick Travieso didn't start until he was a senior. Bailey was throwing 60-80 innings in high school, then probably 40 more for travel ball each year. So that is what, 300 innings or so head start on a guy like Travieso as a starting pitcher? That is rather significant.

He is going to take time. He is not your normal high school first round pitcher. Maybe think of him like Devin Mesoraco. The tools were there, but the production wasn't for a while. Then it all clicked and he blew up. We don't know whether or not Travieso will blow up like Mesoraco did. But the tools are there for it. The key will be refining them.

Travieso is the guy I'd deal to get help at the big league level. Upper minors is thin in value, many other candidates for the staff ahead of him, recent number 1 pick status would probably make some long term project type team interested.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?