Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Re: Nick Travieso promoted to Dayton

Any chance he'll pitch on Sunday? I'm hoping to take in the game before I pick up my wife coming home from a trip.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Any chance he'll pitch on Sunday? I'm hoping to take in the game before I pick up my wife coming home from a trip.
    If they stay on rotation, Drew Cisco would be slated to pitch on Sunday. Not a bad option.

So is Guillon (or someone else) going back to extended Spring Training? Or, is Stephenson (or someone else) getting bumped up to Bakersfield?
    Last edited by texasdave; 05-30-2013 at 06:50 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Guillon is currently listed as the starter tomorrow. Pedro Diaz is listed for Saturday. I think either of those guys could be in danger of heading back to EST. Neither has done much, for different reasons. Guillon simply can't throw strikes. Diaz is struggling with control too, but also is dealing with blister/finger issues and has been almost the entire season.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Guillon is currently listed as the starter tomorrow. Pedro Diaz is listed for Saturday. I think either of those guys could be in danger of heading back to EST. Neither has done much, for different reasons. Guillon simply can't throw strikes. Diaz is struggling with control too, but also is dealing with blister/finger issues and has been almost the entire season.
    Agreed. A demotion seems far more likely than a promotion.
    Stephenson and Cisco have each had some pretty remarkable highs this year, but haven't been dominant.
    Romano has been somewhat middling. Sharp at times, but struggling to make it past the 5th or 6th without getting a 3-4 run inning dropped on him.
    Diaz has been largely bad.
    Guillon, who I had high hopes for this year, has been a complete disaster.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Agreed. A demotion seems far more likely than a promotion.
    Stephenson and Cisco have each had some pretty remarkable highs this year, but haven't been dominant.
    Romano has been somewhat middling. Sharp at times, but struggling to make it past the 5th or 6th without getting a 3-4 run inning dropped on him.
    Diaz has been largely bad.
    Guillon, who I had high hopes for this year, has been a complete disaster.
    Stephenson has absolutely been dominant. He has simply been unlucky at times with balls in play.

9. Likes:

Edd Roush (05-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Stephenson has absolutely been dominant. He has simply been unlucky at times with balls in play.

He definitely has been of late, but he's struggled at times this year. Call it unlucky all you want, but he has a 3.74 ERA, 7 wild pitches, a 1.17 WHIP.
    I could see a promotion in his future if he keeps going the rate he's going, but bad luck doesn't get a dominant pitcher a 3.74 ERA.
    What Tony Cingrani is doing this year is dominant. Stephenson isn't quite there yet, but he's clearly well on his way.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    He definitely has been of late, but he's struggled at times this year. Call it unlucky all you want, but he has a 3.74 ERA, 7 wild pitches, a 1.17 WHIP.
    I could see a promotion in his future if he keeps going the rate he's going, but bad luck doesn't get a dominant pitcher a 3.74 ERA.
    What Tony Cingrani is doing this year is dominant. Stephenson isn't quite there yet, but he's clearly well on his way.
    Bad luck can get a dominant pitcher an ERA of now 3.32. He has 59.2 innings with 16 walks and 77 strikeouts. That is dominant.

He has struck out 15% more batters than the next closest guy in the league who has faced at least 150 batters. He is the only guy in the league with over a 28% strikeout rate (he is at 32%). He has the largest gap in the league between his strikeout rate and his walk rate.

Tony Cingrani has been dominant too. But Stephenson has also been dominant.

12. Likes:

Edd Roush (05-31-2013)

Sal Romano may miss a start after being hit in the foot by a liner last night. Could be that, though I don't think they would bring up a guy like Travieso for just one start.

Walt Jocketty is in attendance in Dayton. Is that normal?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Walt Jocketty is in attendance in Dayton. Is that normal?
    It happens a few times throughout the season. So not normal, but it isn't like it never happens either. With the Reds on the road and Stephenson pitching in Dayton, it isn't a surprise.

Romano is going on the D.L.

Stephenson tonight...Good Lord. You talk about completely overmatching a lineup. He could have easily reached his pitch limit without allowing a base runner. Hitters had zero chance. He was throwing fastballs by people, then breaking their backs on off-speed. It was like a man among boys. South Bend was leading the league in hitting and had scored 20 runs over the previous two games, and had won 10 straight until tonight.

17. Likes:

Edd Roush (05-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Romano is going on the D.L.

Stephenson tonight...Good Lord. You talk about completely overmatching a lineup. He could have easily reached his pitch limit without allowing a base runner. Hitters had zero chance. He was throwing fastballs by people, then breaking their backs on off-speed. It was like a man among boys. South Bend was leading the league in hitting and had scored 20 runs over the previous two games, and had won 10 straight until tonight.
    Stephenson just obliterated that lineup. I've seen about all I need to see of him in a Dragons uniform.

Turn Off Ads?