Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carlos Gomez

Carlos Gomez

I'm curious about him. Do folks think he just finally 'realized' his power potential the last year and a half or did Ryan Braun give him pointers on where to shop?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Carlos Gomez

I think it's definitely legit. His career numbers have steadily increased. He's been a highly-touted prospect so this isn't Jose Batista.

I brought him up in the thread listing guys facing PED suspensions, and Doug replied used a few convincing stats to explain why Gomez has surged. I still have my doubts though, if only because it seems most guys who are suddenly drastically outplaying career norms (Melky Cabrera and Carlos Ruiz come to mind) turn out to be cheating.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Trajinous View Post
    I think it's definitely legit. His career numbers have steadily increased. He's been a highly-touted prospect so this isn't Jose Batista.
    I disagree with the term steadily. It's been pretty radical the jumps he's had in ISO the last three years:

67 point, 32 point and 54 point jumps.

That's not to say it's not legit, but those are huge jumps for a guy that previously had exhibited little to no power.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Carlos Gomez in 2007 at age 21 on the Mets:

Carlos Gomez in 2013 at age 27 on the Brewers:

Miguel Cabrera in 2004 at age 21 on the Marlins:

Miguel Cabrera in 2010 at age 27 on the Tigers:

BREAKING: people mature!

Nobody has brought up Gomez's body though.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    BREAKING: people mature!
    Yeah BC, that's very true. At 21 these guys are still kids. At 27 they're men w/ 6 years of elite level competition and coaching from the best strength & conditioning coaches in the world. Those body changes and stat increases could very well occur w/o PEDs. When guys start to make huge gains at age 28-30 then I get suspicious.

Don't take this as me declaring them clean. Nobody, let me repeat, NOBODY would surprise me by popping a test or being linked to PEDS in today's world of sports.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

11. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Nobody has brought up Gomez's body though.
    Pictures are more fun to look at though, aren't they?

It's not that difficult to find raw Latin-born players who put up mediocre power numbers in the minor leagues/early 20s only to blossom into MLB power hitters as their bodies mature. Are they all cheaters?

Why the constant witch hunt, people? I gained about 20 pounds of lean muscle between the ages of 21 and 27 and I am not a communist ... er ... PED user.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

14. Likes:

Joseph (06-12-2013),Trajinous (06-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Why the constant witch hunt, people? I gained about 20 pounds of lean muscle between the ages of 21 and 27 and I am not a communist ... er ... PED user.
    I don't think it is a constant witch hunt, people are smart to be skeptical when something seems to good to be true. Now me being skeptical is not the same as accusing him. It just means that if something like that did come out, I wouldn't be very surprised. It is just a product of baseball this day and age.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

I doubt many players are using Steroids anymore. They likely have moved on to HGH and/or other new PED's.

With HGH, the player doesn't get bigger, he actually gets leaner, fitter. But more importantly, he gets quicker, more athletic, better reflexes.

I think we shouldn't just focus on players who hit more homers, but also on players who suddenly start to hit for a much higher average. The key to hitting is a quick bat, and a tenth of a second quicker bat can mean 30, 40 or maybe even 50 points added to a batting average.

That does point to Gomez, but it so early in the season, it's hard to even suggest any conclusions at this point.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Looking at the before and after pics that baseclogger posted...it's pretty clear cut IMO. Clearly the difference between Gomez then and now is a goatee. It worked for Cabrera too. Tell tale sign of "making it" in the bigs. Facial hair.

18. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-13-2013),TRF (06-13-2013)

So what’s the solution to something that could be construed as organized child abuse?

“Never take B12,” Minnesota Twins outfielder Carlos Gomez joked.

Gomez, who grew up in Santiago, D.R., can’t count the number of times people have offered him what were supposedly vitamin B12 shots. Gomez would take the needles, cross-check the ingredients with the ones listed on an official MLB handout and almost always find them filled with a banned substance.

He grew up in a middle-class family, his dad employed by a bank and his mom a corporation, so Gomez didn’t have nearly the pressure to take performance enhancers as other might. At the same time, he feels accountable to the next generation of Latin American players, as the one that preceded him was integral in making Dominicans and Venezuelans such a vital part of baseball.

“I’ve got more responsibility,” Gomez said. “If I find some guy who brings (kids) this other stuff, he’s got problems with me.”
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...steroids092508

20. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-13-2013)

Turn Off Ads?