Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 53 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Dusty Baker's knowledge of the game

Dusty Baker's knowledge of the game

Hey all,

So I've been increasingly frustrated by the nature of many of our debates about Dusty. On one side, we have the "Dusty bashers" for whom he can do no right. They gripe about his lineups, his toothpicks, and nearly every game-level decision he makes. They question his treatment of pitchers, his shepherding of rookies and even his wristbands. On the other side, we have the "Dusty apologists," who defer to his knowledge of the game and his long career. They point to his recent success with the Reds, his past success with the Giants and Cubs, his ability to manage people, and his affable media personality as evidence that he is the right guy to run this club. Obviously, I'm caricaturing this debate some. There are a lot of people who fall in between the two poles I've suggested above. And there are some who vacillate depending on the issue.

One thing is clear, though. Neither side has really spent a lot of time providing more evidence for Dusty's strategic mind or his tutored approach to hitting and baseball. Most of the threads of late have based debate on one or two zesty pull quotes and then dug in their arguments based on flagrant interpretations of what he might mean. What we've overlooked is that Dusty is a scholar of hitting. He's produced tapes on hitting approaches that are there for the taking. He's certainly done interviews out there beyond the controversial one-off claims he's made about "base clogging" and "hitting the ball."

So here it is. I challenge our RZ group brain to do more research on Dusty -- to really ferret out more information on him, on his career as a player and a hitter, on his history as a manager and a thinker of baseball. I'll start with a gesture at the Dusty Baker Hitting Handbook, which is an eBook, and which I'm sure someone on here must have bought (or otherwise have access to). I'll also point you to Dusty's website, which must have some insight somewhere about what the man thinks about the larger, more abstract questions we're repeatedly throwing at him here. What does he say in there? Is it the same as what he says to the media? Does he get more specific on what he thinks about walks or bunting or stealing or batting order?

Let the games begin!
    Last edited by RedEye; 06-01-2013 at 06:13 PM.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Likes:

OGB (06-03-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Dusty Baker's knowledge of the game

It's called hitting, not walking.
    I don't want him clogging the bases.
    Zack Cozart bats 2nd.
    Corey Patterson bats leadoff.
    Willy Taveras bats leadoff.

case closed.

5. Likes:

Dom Heffner (06-02-2013),OnBaseMachine (06-03-2013),smixsell (06-02-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Zack Cozart bats 2nd.

case closed.
    Doug, that's about as closed minded as you can get. If your assertion is that Dusty is stuck in the past and won't open himself up to the newer ways of thinking...I'd say you're guilty of a similar thing right here.

7. Likes:

RedEye (06-03-2013)

Zack Cozart bats 2nd.

case closed.
    Well, thanks for demonstrating quite clearly one side of the debate, doug (sarcasm). It would be nice if you could provide some clearly stated evidence as to why these elements are negative. Now... anyone ready to speak up for the other side? We want substantive arguments here, not just "let's agree to disagree."
    Last edited by RedEye; 06-01-2013 at 06:51 PM.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

This thread is pointless. Redeye, you said you wanted to "challenge our RZ group brain to do more research on Dusty". Dougs comments weren't anything new, they were the same arguements. Then you thank him for "demonstrating quite clearly one side of the debate". I was wondering how this thread was going to go, now I see. Good job fellas!!!

10. Likes:

Always Red (06-01-2013),George Anderson (06-01-2013),New York Red (06-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    This thread is pointless. Redeye, you said you wanted to "challenge our RZ group brain to do more research on Dusty". Dougs comments weren't anything new, they were the same arguements. Then you thank him for "demonstrating quite clearly one side of the debate". I was wondering how this thread was going to go, now I see. Good job fellas!!!
    Whoa! My comment to doug was meant as sarcastic! What I meant was that he provided exactly the sort of caricature I sketched in my OP. I'm obviously hoping for more substantive posts in this thread, which is why I proposed it.

Zack Cozart bats 2nd.

case closed.
    Zach Stewart will win a cy young.

Case reopened.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

I'm pretty sure Redeye's comment towards Doug was sarcastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post

Case reopened.
    Goodness gracious. I'm starting to regret asking us to work as a group brain.

Can we get some order here people? And some real arguments that relate TO DUSTY BAKER?

15. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (06-01-2013)

Zack Cozart bats 2nd.

case closed.
    I think you could find equally egregious things about any successful manager.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Case reopened.
    LOL. You know....that hasn't been disproved yet. Just to be fair. :O)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I'm pretty sure Redeye's comment towards Doug was sarcastic.
    That's fine, I'd just be suprised to see this thread turn out to be what he said he intended it to be. If it does, I will do some research of my own and see what I can come up with. I just think this is going to turn into a bash fest.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    I think you could find equally egregious things about any successful manager.
    Most of them, absolutely. It is painful at times.

That's fine, I'd just be suprised to see this thread turn out to be what he said he intended it to be. If it does, I will do some research of my own and see what I can come up with. I just think this is going to turn into a bash fest.
    That's certainly a possibility. But as long as people at least ATTEMPT to stay open minded or even just partially open-minded...we may learn something. But considering the fact that most of the information out there about Dusty stems from the media........

Case reopened.
    Sean Marshall is a loogy.

Case re-closed.

22. Likes:

Bumstead (06-03-2013),Redeyecat (06-02-2013)

Turn Off Ads?