Turn Off Ads?
Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051 LastLast

Thread: 6/02/13 Redlegs v. Peglegs

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Baker goes off on media

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Not saying he shouldn't have pitched. Just saying he shouldn't have been trusted to pitch to Jones in that situation.
    Disagree. Unless a guy is specifically brought in to face a specific hitter...pitcher should be expected to get out righties OR lefties. I really don't care for the entire premise behind a LOOGY (and btw, Marshall is NOT one and never should be considered one...He's been poorly used this season IMO)

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Let's not be confrontational? This starting of this thread was confrontational, he knew this was going to blow up and not to know that is moronic!
    Confrontational to whom? Baker? Come on.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Disagree. Unless a guy is specifically brought in to face a specific hitter...pitcher should be expected to get out righties OR lefties. I really don't care for the entire premise behind a LOOGY (and btw, Marshall is NOT one and never should be considered one...He's been poorly used this season IMO)
    The value of a LOOGY can certainly be debated. But it's not relevant here as we don't really have a LOOGY. The right move was to have Chapman pitch to Jones.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

5. Likes:

remdog (06-02-2013)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Confrontational to whom? Baker? Come on.
    No, not to Baker. You said Sir Charles was being confrontational. Blitz started this thread knowing this was going to turn out like it has. You make those type of comments about the most polarizing person in this organization, you should expect some heat.

The value of a LOOGY can certainly be debated. But it's not relevant here as we don't really have a LOOGY. The right move was to have Chapman pitch to Jones.
    Garrett Jones has hardly been tearing the cover off the ball. With 2 down and a man on 1st...it hardly seems like a do or die situation where you HAVE to go to your hammer. Yes, over the course of his career...Jones is better against RHP than LHP. This season, it's the opposite. As for Broxton, his splits for his career are basically the same for lefties vs righties. This year, pretty much the same. I liked the odds fine there.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Garrett Jones has hardly been tearing the cover off the ball. With 2 down and a man on 1st...it hardly seems like a do or die situation where you HAVE to go to your hammer. Yes, over the course of his career...Jones is better against RHP than LHP. This season, it's the opposite. As for Broxton, his splits for his career are basically the same for lefties vs righties. This year, pretty much the same. I liked the odds fine there.
    Not saying you go to Chapman there, because I don't know when you would have chosen to begin warming him up for that situation, but the odds of Chapman getting a lefty out are far better than the odds of Broxton getting a lefty out.

9. Likes:

remdog (06-02-2013)

I'm not being argumentative, I'm asking a serious question here. What was the point of starting this thread? Why would this not have fit in the game thread?

11. Likes:

Number_Fourteen (06-02-2013)

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: 6/02/13 Redlegs v. Peglegs

Disappointing loss. If there is a positive takeaway from it, it's that the team can play so poorly and the opponent still has to struggle to get to extras and win it there.

Every team loses a few like these every year. The 6 run ninth inning loss to the Braves in the division winning 2010 season comes to mind. However, there's been more than a few of these late collapses of late, and maybe the front office and field management need to take notice and reassess a few things.

I'm going to trust that Dusty and Walt will move a few things around, within their possibilities. If you look back, the bullpen structure that the team finished with in 2012, was quite different than the way it began the year.

It might be time to put a solid bullpen arm on the deadline wish list, perhaps ahead of the OF bat we've been clamoring for.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

13. Likes:

dubc47834 (06-02-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (06-02-2013)

Re: 6/02/13 Redlegs v. Peglegs

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    It might be time to put a solid bullpen arm on the deadline wish list, perhaps ahead of the OF bat we've been clamoring for.
    I definitely agree with this, a quality arm is of much greater need for us right now than an outfielder.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Not saying you go to Chapman there, because I don't know when you would have chosen to begin warming him up for that situation, but the odds of Chapman getting a lefty out are far better than the odds of Broxton getting a lefty out.
    But aren't the odds of Chapman getting a righty out there far better than the odds of Broxton getting a righty out there too?

My point was that it didn't exactly scream "bring in your closer" to me. I felt comfortable in just about any of our relievers getting Jones out there. I give Jones credit in turning on that pitch. And I blame Broxton for leaving one in the heart of the dish. It was a slider he hung right in the middle of the zone. It's not Dusty's fault he hung a pitch. Yes, he "could" have pulled him. But shouldn't you expect a pitcher to put away a hitter like Jones with 2 outs already? I would've brought in Chapman if the tying run is in scoring position. Once the game got to the point where Simon was in....I wait until I have a lead before bringing in Chapman...or until the point where I have to because of pitchers getting tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Listen, I WANT to like Dusty.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm81LSKJC2k

Not.
    Jones in 2013:
    vs. left handed pitchers: .143/.250/.143 for an OPS of .393
    vs. right handed pitchers: .278/.325/.457 for an OPS of .782

Chapman should have pitched to Jones.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

18. Likes:

remdog (06-02-2013),TheBigLebowski (06-02-2013)

His comment will solidify his "us vs. them" mentality to his team. There's ulterior motive there. Circle the wagons and rally the troops for this next week. Next weekend is huge.

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    Not.
    Jones in 2013:
    vs. left handed pitchers: .143/.250/.143 for an OPS of .393
    vs. right handed pitchers: .278/.325/.457 for an OPS of .782

Chapman should have pitched to Jones.
    That's not what it said just a few minutes ago FWIW....unless I looked in the wrong place or something. I looked at BR and the two numbers were like less than 30 points away from one another. Clearly, I may have looked at the wrong numbers. If so, my bad.

But regardless....we're still talking about a guy who's not doing that great. Under .800 ops is NOT that impressive. Certainly not enough to scream "go to the closer!"
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 06-02-2013 at 06:44 PM.

Sir chuck, should Chapman only be used in the 9th with a lead?

Turn Off Ads?