Turn Off Ads?
Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051 LastLast

Thread: 6/02/13 Redlegs v. Peglegs

Re: Baker goes off on media

I say this every time a thread like this pops up.

There is so much more information that a manager and coaching staff knows about every situation that occurs in a game, than us casual fans, or even the beat writers, that Baker is exactly right to ask anyone who questions him, if they have ever managed.

I have disagreed with Reds managers all my life, but I have never second guessed them.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

2. Likes:

Always Red (06-02-2013), dubc47834 (06-02-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Sir chuck, should Chapman only be used in the 9th with a lead?
    No, I don't think so. But be honest, how many managers DON'T use their closers that way?

If you want my HONEST opinion on Chapman...he shouldn't be used in the 9th inning ever....unless his pitch count is low and he's got a shutout going. If you get my point.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 06-02-2013 at 06:50 PM. Reason: typo
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

5. Likes:

64red (06-02-2013), dubc47834 (06-02-2013), remdog (06-02-2013), TheBigLebowski (06-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Blitz, I bet if you had a bunch of people questioning every single move you made at YOUR job...you might get a bit testy sometimes too, dontcha think?

And besides...since when was it a "bad decision". The moment that YOU decided it was?

What would your response have been if Dusty put Chapman in to pitch the 8th and 9th and he gave up the walkoff then? Or if he pulled Simon when YOU wanted him to only to see Chapman be wild and walk in the winning run?

The "I told you so" act from many around here gets old rather quickly IMO.
    When you are a manager of a professional sports team at the highest level you have to expect questions concerning your decisions. It's not an everyday job pushing a pen or assembling a vehicle. Dusty is very lucky he's in Cincy. Most times he gets softball questions from the media.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turns out that it was a Pittsburgh media member that asked Dusty about the bullpen....

8. Likes:

TheBigLebowski (06-02-2013)

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    His comment will solidify his "us vs. them" mentality to his team. There's ulterior motive there. Circle the wagons and rally the troops for this next week. Next weekend is huge.
    The problem is that if Dusty needs to make a change, he may not do so, even if he knows in his heart he should, just to show that he doesn't given in to his detractors.

That's the problem with putting your opinions out there. We see it all the time here on this board.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

10. Likes:

remdog (06-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    When you are a manager of a professional sports team at the highest level you have to expect questions concerning your decisions. It's not an everyday job pushing a pen or assembling a vehicle. Dusty is very lucky he's in Cincy. Most times he gets softball questions from the media.
    I agree. He does have it easier than most and he should expect questions of that nature. I did NOT see the interview and have NOT heard the answers. But I do know that he gets more grief than most as the questions that get asked him are the same ones day in and day out. And no matter HOW easy he may or may not have it...that's going to get under someones skin eventually don't you agree?
    2014 predictions:
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Turns out that it was a Pittsburgh media member that asked Dusty about the bullpen....
    That does change the dynamic of the situation. thanks for the info.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Sir chuck, should Chapman only be used in the 9th with a lead?
    Only of Votto remembers to catch the ball and if the Reds score after the first inning.

14. Likes:

Always Red (06-02-2013), _Sir_Charles_ (06-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I'm not being argumentative, I'm asking a serious question here. What was the point of starting this thread? Why would this not have fit in the game thread?
    It's the continuation of the attempt to shrink the contributions of Dusty Baker, because lord knows us reds Fans have been blessed with a wealth of talented leaders in the dugout throughout our illustrious fandom of the past two decades.

16. Likes:

jimbo (06-02-2013), WVRedsFan (06-02-2013)

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    His comment will solidify his "us vs. them" mentality to his team. There's ulterior motive there. Circle the wagons and rally the troops for this next week. Next weekend is huge.
    Sounds like the Boeheim Maneuver. Yell at the media when the team needs a kick.

Am I the only one who had no issues with his use of the bullpen today?

Broxton gave up an infield single and we should have pulled him? Seriously? If we managed like that our bullpen would be dead at the end of the year. It's barely June...

And assuming Lecure wasn't available, going to extras we were hanging on to our closer for a save. I thought Simon did a really good job honestly. Our offense had their chances to blow the game open and failed to do so.

19. Likes:

Always Red (06-02-2013), Beltway (06-02-2013), dubc47834 (06-02-2013), jimbo (06-02-2013), Red Raindog (06-02-2013), reds44 (06-02-2013), westofyou (06-02-2013), _Sir_Charles_ (06-02-2013)

I'm not defending Dusty's decision, but I think there is a bit of validity to the idea of resting Chapman. He's on pace to appear in 77 games right now. Was LeCure available?

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Am I the only one who had no issues with his use of the bullpen today?

Broxton gave up an infield single and we should have pulled him? Seriously? If we managed like that our bullpen would be dead at the end of the year. It's barely June...

And assuming Lecure wasn't available, going to extras we were hanging on to our closer for a save. I thought Simon did a really good job honestly. Our offense had their chances to blow the game open and failed to do so.
    I'm with you. I thought he handled the pen fine. I might've brought in Chapman once the winning run reached scoring position...but I don't know if he was warmed up.
    2014 predictions:
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

No, I don't think so. But be honest, how many managers DON'T use their closers that way?
    I really don't care what other managers do. If they are all interchangeable why defend Dusty so hard?
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

But aren't the odds of Chapman getting a righty out there far better than the odds of Broxton getting a righty out there too?

My point was that it didn't exactly scream "bring in your closer" to me. I felt comfortable in just about any of our relievers getting Jones out there. I give Jones credit in turning on that pitch. And I blame Broxton for leaving one in the heart of the dish. It was a slider he hung right in the middle of the zone. It's not Dusty's fault he hung a pitch. Yes, he "could" have pulled him. But shouldn't you expect a pitcher to put away a hitter like Jones with 2 outs already? I would've brought in Chapman if the tying run is in scoring position. Once the game got to the point where Simon was in....I wait until I have a lead before bringing in Chapman...or until the point where I have to because of pitchers getting tired.

I'm with this. Broxton needed to approach that AB smarter. Two outs. Russell Martin on deck. The one thing that Jones is thinking about is yanking one, and that's the one thing you need to avoid. Jones doesn't have much oppo power. Pitch him away. Just another brain fart (albeit a big one).
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Turn Off Ads?