Turn Off Ads?
Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 40464748495051 LastLast

Thread: 6/02/13 Redlegs v. Peglegs

Re: Baker goes off on media

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Only of Votto remembers to catch the ball and if the Reds score after the first inning.
    Asking in general, not today specifically
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I really don't care what other managers do. If they are all interchangeable why defend Dusty so hard?
    Because I don't think they are interchangable. I think they all do the same basic on the field stuff. There are a few differences here and there, but for the most part they all do stuff by the book. But the other stuff...the clubhouse, the person-to-person stuff...IMO he's the best in the league at that stuff.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

This thread is nothing more than a continuation of today's game thread, so that's where I'm moving it.

5. Likes:

dubc47834 (06-02-2013)

Haunted by walks

I wouldn't be surprised if the game evolves in a few years so that the "closer" is the fireman who comes in for the highest-leverage inning and closer 1A wraps up the ninth. The setup man would be the bridge. All the game needs is a Sparky to re-invent the bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Sounds like the Boeheim Maneuver. Yell at the media when the team needs a kick.
    It was the same thing John Tortarella did with the New York Rangers. Become prickly with the media so that all of the ink goes towards what the manager said and not the deficiencies of the players.

Of course, Torts was just fired a few days ago after his team went through another post-season collapse.

PS Go Bruins!
    That Joey Votto is some kind of Man Candy!

"For them to boo me like that, it lets me know they dream about me at night. -- Brandon Phillips on Cards fans.

Re: 6/02/13 Redlegs v. Peglegs

I'm no Dusty apologist and I question his moves often, BUT Dusty ain't the one who played incredibly shoddy defense today!

9. Likes:

dubc47834 (06-02-2013), Red Raindog (06-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    I'm no Dusty apologist and I question his moves often, BUT Dusty ain't the one who played incredibly shoddy defense today!
    There were several issues in today's game. The defense, the offense dying after the first inning, too many men LOB again, Latos again hitting the proverbial wall, and of course Broxton's collapse. In his post-game interview, Dusty mentioned all of these as factors in today's loss.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

Pimpin...literally!!! dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    There were several issues in today's game. The defense, the offense dying after the first inning, too many men LOB again, Latos again hitting the proverbial wall, and of course Broxton's collapse. In his post-game interview, Dusty mentioned all of these as factors in today's loss.
    But OBP is more important than runs scored...I guess today is a point for that arguement!!!!

Were the ones that wanted Broxton to not pitch the 8th the same ones that wanted Leake pulled two games ago so broxton could pitch? I'm assuming yes.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Were the ones that wanted Broxton to not pitch the 8th the same ones that wanted Leake pulled two games ago so broxton could pitch? I'm assuming yes.
    In my case, no. Can't speak for others.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Regardless of this anti and pro Dusty discussion, you don't have to look any farther than Choo and Votto for the reason for the offensive swoon (and believe me it is a concern). Votto was 2-11 in this series and Choo 2-12. Over the last five games, Votto has been 3-19 and Choo 4-19. Choo's BA dropped 12 points and Votto's 9 points. Those two have to hit for the Reds to be successful. All three games lost in that period could have been won with a little offense and those two have to hit to bring that to the table
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I agree. He does have it easier than most and he should expect questions of that nature. I did NOT see the interview and have NOT heard the answers. But I do know that he gets more grief than most as the questions that get asked him are the same ones day in and day out. And no matter HOW easy he may or may not have it...that's going to get under someones skin eventually don't you agree?
    Yes it can. But that's part of the job of a big league manager is to answer the same questions day after day no matter what you think the about the question.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Regardless of this anti and pro Dusty discussion, you don't have to look any farther than Choo and Votto for the reason for the offensive swoon (and believe me it is a concern). Votto was 2-11 in this series and Choo 2-12. Over the last five games, Votto has been 3-19 and Choo 4-19. Choo's BA dropped 12 points and Votto's 9 points. Those two have to hit for the Reds to be successful. All three games lost in that period could have been won with a little offense and those two have to hit to bring that to the table
    I'll agree with you that the I think just as big a reason the Reds blew this game today was that the offense went to sleep once again after getting an early lead. I think all three of these Sunday games were the same way. Get an early lead,the offense goes to sleep and then Broxton or Chapman blows the game. If the offense had put a up just another run or two Broxton or Chapman wouldn't have been in that position. Choo has been in an overall slump for a while. He needs to get back to more even keel or this offense will continue to be sporadic.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Turns out that it was a Pittsburgh media member that asked Dusty about the bullpen....
    Figures. The Cincinnati media is too nice to question anything.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

The Reds were 4-3 this week playing two above .500 clubs, darn near 5-2. It was a good week. Yet, the week ends with criticism and debate of bullpen usage. My two cents is I think we need to have another lefty in the bullpen and Broxton is not pitching all that well right now, nibbling a bit too much after getting ahead in the count.

But I'm still enjoying the ride. I'm not so sure about some of you. This is supposed to be fun, not a source of stress in your life.
    Last edited by traderumor; 06-03-2013 at 10:47 AM.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

19. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (06-03-2013)

Turn Off Ads?