Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Baseball Movies/Docs

Best Baseball Movies/Docs

I just watched Knuckleball! (streaming on Netflix now). It was interesting. They use Chapman as a sort of anti-knuckleballer in that his pitches are only about speed and strength, whereas the knuckleballers are more nuanced, more intellectual, and maybe more talented pitchers.

Worth the watch.

It made me wonder what all of you think are the best, most quintessential baseball movies and docs.

As far as movies, you gotta with with The Bad News Bears, The Sandlot, Bull Durham, Eight Men Out.

Docs...I watched Ballplayer:Pelotero (also on Netflix). That was a fantastic look at how players are scouted in the Dominican Republic.

2. Likes:

RedEye (06-02-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Best Baseball Movies/Docs

Ken Burns: Baseball. The king of all the documentaries.

5. Likes:

Captain13 (06-04-2013),Ghosts of 1990 (06-04-2013),RedEye (06-02-2013)

Sugar is a great little movie about a young Dominican player trying to make it in professional baseball.

My personal favorite is Major League. Baseball movies have too many inaccuracies and cliches that keep me from enjoying the serious stuff...

7. Likes:

Chip R (06-03-2013),remdog (06-02-2013),traderumor (07-24-2013)

My list of faves in no particular order (although the best ones often come to mind first).

Eight Men Out
    Field of Dreams
    Damn Yankees!
    The Bad News Bears (the original)
    Pride of the Yankees
    Major League
    Bang the Drum Slowly
    Bull Durham
    The Natural
    Moneyball
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Ken Burns: Baseball. The king of all the documentaries.
    Curious whether you've seen his other stuff, too. Civil War is amazing.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Long Gone, from HBO, is an underrated baseball movie. The most accurate one I've seen of all the fictional ones.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

11. Likes:

Captain13 (06-04-2013),Chip R (06-03-2013),Johnny Footstool (06-03-2013),Norm Chortleton (06-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Long Gone, from HBO, is an underrated baseball movie. The most accurate one I've seen of all the fictional ones.
    Don't know that title. What is it?

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Curious whether you've seen his other stuff, too. Civil War is amazing.
    Yeah, that's a tremendous series as well. As is his brother's on the history of the city of New York. I use all of them in the AP US History class I teach.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Don't know that title. What is it?
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093433/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Gone_(film)

Stars a young, sexy Virginia Madsen, and it's HBO, so not safe for work or kids. Also has a rare talking appearance by Teller of Penn and Teller fame. Not a classic, but if you love baseball, you will definitely enjoy this one.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Pride of the Yankees
    The Rookie
    Bad News Bears

I know I am very much in the minority of baseball fans but I really have never cared for "Field of Dreams" or the "Natural". I think it is because in general I like biography type movies and not fantasy. I also really didn't care for Ken Burns documentary. It was way to much Yankees and Red Sox and way to much of his biased political view points.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

16. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-03-2013)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Moneyball was good. The 30 for 30 on Bartman was pretty good as far as documentaries go.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093433/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Gone_(film)

Stars a young, sexy Virginia Madsen, and it's HBO, so not safe for work or kids. Also has a rare talking appearance by Teller of Penn and Teller fame. Not a classic, but if you love baseball, you will definitely enjoy this one.
    Well, I'm Big Joe Brown, like-a sing me a song
    'Bout a baseball team can't do no wrong
    There's Stud Cantrell with a mighty mighty bat
    And Jamie Don Weeks with some real good stats...
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

19. Likes:

Norm Chortleton (06-04-2013)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Major League is always a fun watch.
    There's an old movie called The Stratton Story starring Jimmy Stewart that I remember liking when I was a kid. (Of course being a kid I wasn't the most discerning of movie critics.)
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

The HBO documentary "The Curious Case of Curt Flood" was good.
    "You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." -Earl Weaver

22. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I also really didn't care for Ken Burns documentary. It was way to much Yankees and Red Sox and way to much of his biased political view points.
    I liked it somewhat. And I really appreciated the amount of research that went into it. But I agree. This is a classic example of "coast bias" in sports journalism. If it didn't happen on the east or west coasts, well then who cares?

Also, from watching Ken Burns' Baseball you'd think that baseball ended in the late 60's.

Turn Off Ads?